Parker's Heritage 10 - 24yr old BIB

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

16 hours ago, elmossle said:

Did they have the bottle already in hand? I have yet to see it at this end of the state. That might mean it is coming next week possibly.

I've seen nothing in the center of the state but it usually hits Raleigh earlier than the rest - and in greater volume.  I've got a family member seeing if he can get me one

On 8/20/2016 at 9:50 PM, garbanzobean said:

I've never seen the phrase "beaver bourbon" before.  What a marvelous term!   My life is now marginally improved by having this term in my repertoire.  Thank you.

Josh - what Eric said.  I just hope I remember it when I wake up tomorrow.B)  Since even EC 12 is "old" for me, somebody out there can have my spot in line.

On 9/7/2016 at 11:09 PM, elmossle said:

Did they have the bottle already in hand? I have yet to see it at this end of the state. That might mean it is coming next week possibly.

Not in hand.  They expected it this week.

Found out one of the boards near me had it last week even though one of the employees said nothing came in. Frustrating to say the least.

Have any of you tried this year's PHC yet? I have not been able to really find much feedback or proper reviews of the juice yet, nor have any of my local friends cracked a bottle yet. I'm trying to decide if it is worth looking for more of it or not. If you've tried it, what did you think???

cheers!

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I'm trying to decide if it is worth looking for more of it or not.

This would indicate that you have some. If so, open one and tell us what you think.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

This would indicate that you have some. If so, open one and tell us what you think.

Ditto....

I promise you if I had one it would be open. 

Edited by LCWoody

I did find one so far. I'm really surprised at the lack of reviews on this one. I feel like most other prominent releases have tons of reviews right away from the samples the distilleries send out to various writers etc. Maybe Heaven Hill didn't send out samples for this one?

I've been on an open-bottle-killing mission to try to free up some space recently, and I don't drink nearly as much as I used to currently so it has been a slower process. I'll probably open the one I have fairly soon but the window to buy any more of this release at retail is probably going to be pretty short. I'll report back when I try it. Really hoping it is better than EC23!

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I did find one so far. I'm really surprised at the lack of reviews on this one. I feel like most other prominent releases have tons of reviews right away from the samples the distilleries send out to various writers etc. Maybe Heaven Hill didn't send out samples for this one?

I've been on an open-bottle-killing mission to try to free up some space recently, and I don't drink nearly as much as I used to currently so it has been a slower process. I'll probably open the one I have fairly soon but the window to buy any more of this release at retail is probably going to be pretty short. I'll report back when I try it. Really hoping it is better than EC23!

You really shouldn't let others reviews dictate you stocking up on something especially when you have one. Reviews can be instructive for taking the plunge with something new. You should only ever stock up on something (especially at this price point) if you've tried it. The only other reason to stock up on something like this without trying it first is if you plan to flip it and you don't want to admit that here.

4 hours ago, flahute said:

You really shouldn't let others reviews dictate you stocking up on something especially when you have one. Reviews can be instructive for taking the plunge with something new. You should only ever stock up on something (especially at this price point) if you've tried it. The only other reason to stock up on something like this without trying it first is if you plan to flip it and you don't want to admit that here.

Thanks for the patronizing response. If I'm lucky, I might find a second bottle. At this price point as you say, I don't want to do that 100% blindly, especially since like I said I wasn't really wowed by EC23. If real enthusiasts like this community (as opposed to bloggers on the distillery sample gravy train) indicate that it's a special quality bottling, I'll make the splurge if I do come across a second bottle. The 27 year edition was great, so I'm open to the idea that a hyper aged HH product could still be amazing, just hoping to find that indication before wasting money. 

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Thanks for the patronizing response. If I'm lucky, I might find a second bottle. At this price point as you say, I don't want to do that 100% blindly, especially since like I said I wasn't really wowed by EC23. If real enthusiasts like this community (as opposed to bloggers on the distillery sample gravy train) indicate that it's a special quality bottling, I'll make the splurge if I do come across a second bottle. The 27 year edition was great, so I'm open to the idea that a hyper aged HH product could still be amazing, just hoping to find that indication before wasting money. 

Nothing patronizing in my response, nor was it intended. 

I'm still baffled why you want to hear from enthusiasts here if its special as being a reason to pick up more when you have an actual bottle in hand you can taste right now and decide for yourself. Seriously. You should follow your own taste buds and your own value/cost criteria. 

A few years ago, Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope was generally not well thought of on these pages (and on many blogs). It was good whiskey but just about nobody thought it was worth the price. I really liked it though. I followed my taste buds and stocked up. I've never regretted it. If I had paid too much attention to members here and bloggers out there, I would not have the bottles set aside that I currently have.

To be clear, I highly value the opinions on this site, but, my own taste buds and value/cost standards are what I follow. I don't need the comfort of a bunch of other people saying it's worth the cost for me to feel OK about dropping big dollars on old or rare whiskey. I just buy what I like.

I don't think Flahute was trying to be patronizing. It doesn't seem like his style.

BIB sounds like he is trying to make a little room before he opens a bottle that is something special to him. I do the same thing. I want to get rid of some other bottles so I can focus on one I'm excited about.

I didn't get the impression anyone was trying to flip.

Internet misunderstandings...

15 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I don't think Flahute was trying to be patronizing. It doesn't seem like his style.

BIB sounds like he is trying to make a little room before he opens a bottle that is something special to him. I do the same thing. I want to get rid of some other bottles so I can focus on one I'm excited about.

I didn't get the impression anyone was trying to flip.

Internet misunderstandings...

To be clear, I did not think he was intending to flip. It's just one of the few reasons I can think of why one would really need to know what others think of a rare and expensive whiskey to use a criteria for deciding if you should stock up on it without trying it first. 

I do understand the concept of making a little room before opening a new one. However, when it's a rare and released once only kind of bottle, and you need to know if you like it so you can decide to buy more, you make an exception and open it right now. That bottle can sit in the bunker just fine after having one pour removed from it. 

I'm just trying to emphasize that one should go with their own taste instead of relying on the opinions of the group.

I'm going to refrain from extending a tangent conversation about whether or not I have opened this specific bottle, as much as I'm sure everyone is super interested. 

For the record I was a big fan of POH and bought a few, and unfortunately I'm down to maybe one or two 2 oz sample bottles left of those. While I thought the wheat was OK, it never blew my mind personally even though it was generally more highly regarded by many. 

Hopefully this 24 is good. Like I said I've seen both sides of old Heaven Hill juice. I also may never get a chance to buy a second bottle regardless based on how things are going. If I crack it soon I'll report back. Still baffled by the total lack of reviews anywhere on this one so far. 

I tasted it and have to say it has one of the best finishes I've had in quite a while - It is expensive and from what I understand from others who I shared it with who had experienced the 27 year old release some years ago it's not as good as that one but each must stand on it's own.  

In my mind this one does exactly that.  

Should I find another bottle in the wild I will purchase it but until then I'll enjoy this one

Without trying it first, if I came across one I would like to think it would be a hard pass.  In reality, I'd probably cave in and buy it.

Buying a second one is another story altogether.  I tried the PHC 27 year and thought it was one of the best I ever had.  I'm not excited about my EC 21.  Too woody.  Who knows where this one will fall in the spectrum?  As to BiB's (theoretical) dilemma - it's not like you're waiting to polish off a bottle of Knob Creek before you open a new EWSB.  It's rare, it's expensive, and you already own some.  I can appreciate the frustration with a lack of reviews, but what the hell, man, taste it!

On 7/29/2016 at 0:47 AM, flahute said:

I also saw on the Twitter that suggested MSRP $250. 

I am out at that price (and have reached bourbon zen).

$230 + tax in Utah means I'm out too.  While I understand the rarity of this year's release and could probably pick this up at my local pretty easily, this is an easy pass.  There's just no way to justify spending over $200 on a bottle of booze.

Edited by miller542

3 hours ago, miller542 said:

$230 + tax in Utah means I'm out too.  While I understand the rarity of this year's release and could probably pick this up at my local pretty easily, this is an easy pass.  There's just no way to justify spending over $200 on a bottle of booze.

Each of us make those decisions based upon our individual tastes and bank accounts (and spouse's checking of those accounts . . . just in case); but I for one am with ya' on this one.....unless of course you were to volunteer YOUR bank account for MY purchase.    Alas, I hold out no real hope of that.     ...Nor of anyone else being so charitable.     I'd love to taste it; but won't suffer too badly if I never do.

On 9/8/2016 at 10:43 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Josh - what Eric said.  I just hope I remember it when I wake up tomorrow.B)  Since even EC 12 is "old" for me, somebody out there can have my spot in line.

A guy was talking about PHC10 in a dismissive tone while waiting in line at Willett Distillery.  I asked him if it was beaver bourbon.  He looked at me like I was an idiot and replied "nah bro I ain't drinkin it, it's trade bait." I guess we can't all think Josh's jokes are funny . . .

Edited by garbanzobean

14 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

"nah bro I ain't drinkin it, it's trade bait." 

Lest we had any concerns the boom has peaked.......

I came across one purely by accident while visiting Oklahoma last weekend.  They got 2 and the owner of the store kept one. I bought the other.  Once I taste it, I'll post my thoughts.

7 hours ago, miller542 said:

Lest we had any concerns the boom has peaked.......

I don't know about that.  At this point I'm thinking it'll take severe price increases to ever truly get us to peak Limited Edition bourbon, but maybe supply is finally closing in on catching up with demand for regular releases.  We are competing with On Premise accounts for the sought after/limited releases, and they can afford to pay a lot more than us.  There are probably more bars in America that want LE bourbon on their shelves than there are bottles of said bourbon, and the distilleries and distributors see on premise sales as a guarantee against secondary market sales.  Frankly I'd rather see that happen than see stores stuck buying cases and cases of other stuff they can't sell for a chance at getting the LE stuff.

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I don't know about that.  At this point I'm thinking it'll take severe price increases to ever truly get us to peak Limited Edition bourbon, but maybe supply is finally closing in on catching up with demand for regular releases.  We are competing with On Premise accounts for the sought after/limited releases, and they can afford to pay a lot more than us.  There are probably more bars in America that want LE bourbon on their shelves than there are bottles of said bourbon, and the distilleries and distributors see on premise sales as a guarantee against secondary market sales.  Frankly I'd rather see that happen than see stores stuck buying cases and cases of other stuff they can't sell for a chance at getting the LE stuff.

Yup.  Plus, I live in a market with several good bourbon bars.  When I get a hankering, I don't have to part with $100s to get a taste of something which, in many cases, is all I need to remind me NOT to spend the $100s since I'd either (a) think I overpaid or (b) feel guilty for drinking the whole thing myself.

On 9/17/2016 at 8:15 PM, BottledInBond said:

Look at it this way, if you don't want to open it and try it yet (If I was trying to decide to spend well over $200 on a SECOND bottle of something, the only opinion I'd trust would be my own), you could still grab a second bottle without much worry of wasting money. I'm sure you could find someone who'd be happy to take it off your hands at retail price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.