Woodford Classic Malt

Big Rick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried the Woodford Reserve Classic Malt? My wife bought it for me for my birthday. It is the one matured in used cooperage. I think it is very Scotch like.

Woodford 2.jpg

Some discussion on them here.

These came out 3 years ago (2013) and the fact they are still on the shelf may tell you something. They were NAS but I think they were about 6-8 years old (my best guess) when they were released.  They were made from 100% malted barley somewhat like a single malt and of course Woodford uses large pot stills as is the case for single malt in Scotland. A few people liked them OK but I think they mostly were not well thought of. As I recall I was surprised that the "Classic" (aged in used barrels) was a little better than the "Straight" which was aged in new barrels like a bourbon would be. But I thought they both rather young. I sometimes read descriptions of pear notes in the classic malt above the young grainy character but I didn't have much luck finding that.

One of our members reviewed them in his blog and liked them better than I did.

I was just getting into bourbon and other whiskies about that time and bought both of those, big mistake.  They were terrible and taught me a very important lesson, don't buy something just because it is a limited release.

there's a few American malts out there.  woodford claimed to be the 1st to start American malt but that theirs came out later because of aging, but then woodford claims a lot of things. I liked both of the woodford malts, sort of mix of woodford flavor with some scotch flavor.

if you're getting into American malts, I strongly suggest Wasmund's Single Malt from Virginia.  Reasonably priced for what it is and tasty.  Another interesting one is Defiant, interesting but over priced for the flavor; they boast about doing their own malting and such. 

Balcones (Texas) and Stranahans (Colorado) are also highly regarded from what I read.  But I hate scotch so I have not tried their malts to speak of them myself.

Westland out of Seattle is a bit pricey but has done some pretty good whiskey in the short time they have been around. I think they started distilling in about 2010.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.