Woodford Masters Collection 2013

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think Woodford figured things out some years back and it is what it is.

• 2 months later...

I wish I had remembered this thread before my Saturday hunt. When I saw a bottle for the first time with dust on the top, Woodford on the front and a name like "classic malt" I jumped all over it. Debated about the one labeled "straight malt" as well but were several bottles there and decided I'd get that one next time.

After finishing my honeydo project Sunday I sat down for my first nice pour.

OMG!!! Nothing this vile had ever passed my lips before. The closest taste comparision is what I would imagine peanut shells off the floor at Longhorns would be like.

I tried adding ice & water, nope. I tried adding club soda (ruined a bottle of club soda). I tried adding Drambuie (wasted a pour of Drambuie).

I think the only thing to do now is man up and pour it down the drain. I just hope it doesn't screw up my septic tank.

The fact that a "master" distiller tried this and gave permission to bottle it just blows my mind.

I will never ever buy anything else with the Woodford name on it no matter how many positive reviews.

Now if anyone likes this PM me and I'll give you the stores location.

I can still taste it this morning, it's sticking around like skunk juice.

...I can still taste it this morning, it's sticking around like skunk juice.

:lol: Maybe a glass of tomato juice will help, then...

I can still taste it this morning, it's sticking around like skunk juice.

Some Old Grand Dad 114 will fix that.

I think Woodford figured things out some years back and it is what it is.

As an update on this I bought a 2012 derby collection bottle and my friends and I A/B'd it with the 2014 I bought in March. VERY different. The 2014 was sweeter and much more pleasant. The 2012 was flat and boring.

So I'm going to return to my suggestion that Woodford might still be evolving.

tbt

I wonder if they will do a flavored vodka aged for an unspecified amount of time in a barrel for this years release.

How can BF repeatedly swing & miss in such grand fashion with these?

Barrel strength age stated Woodford would be a f'n home run.

I just stick to the OFBB or OF Sig and stay far far away from anything Woodford. May miss out on an occasional decent pour but seems to be a good plan so far. Can't buy everything anyway.

How can BF repeatedly swing & miss in such grand fashion with these?

Barrel strength age stated Woodford would be a f'n home run.

Amen to this....

• 5 months later...

A co-worker of mine is from Lexington and said he was going home for Thanksgiving and, since he knows I'm a bourbon guy, he asked if he could pick anything up for me while he was home. He said he had some good connections, and wanted to know my "Top 10" list for stuff that I can't get locally. Knowing the odds weren't good, I put multiple Pappy's on the list....Weller 12yo....WLW......EC18....FRSE....and lastly, WR Master's Collection. I said that I'd take the Sonoma Cutrer Pinot Noir Finish, but would really love to try the Four Wood.

He brought me back the WR Classic Malt. I, of course, will bite the bullet and reimburse him for what he brought back for me, but after reading all about it, I feel a little sick knowing that the most money I've actually spent on a bottle of whiskey (I'm fairly new to this) will be for a bottle of swill that I'll probably wish I'd never bought. Awesome.

A co-worker of mine is from Lexington and said he was going home for Thanksgiving and, since he knows I'm a bourbon guy, he asked if he could pick anything up for me while he was home. He said he had some good connections, and wanted to know my "Top 10" list for stuff that I can't get locally. Knowing the odds weren't good, I put multiple Pappy's on the list....Weller 12yo....WLW......EC18....FRSE....and lastly, WR Master's Collection. I said that I'd take the Sonoma Cutrer Pinot Noir Finish, but would really love to try the Four Wood.

He brought me back the WR Classic Malt. I, of course, will bite the bullet and reimburse him for what he brought back for me, but after reading all about it, I feel a little sick knowing that the most money I've actually spent on a bottle of whiskey (I'm fairly new to this) will be for a bottle of swill that I'll probably wish I'd never bought. Awesome.

That's what happens sometimes when you let a novice try to help you out. I asked a friend who was travelling to Utah to pick up a Midwinter Nights Dram (this was before they went nationwide). He came back with a Campfire - the one bottle out of the entire HW line that I knew I didn't particularly like. At a price more expensive than I could buy it at home. Oh well. I appreciated the effort, all done in friendship, paid him and didn't gripe.

That's what happens sometimes when you let a novice try to help you out. I asked a friend who was travelling to Utah to pick up a Midwinter Nights Dram (this was before they went nationwide). He came back with a Campfire - the one bottle out of the entire HW line that I knew I didn't particularly like. At a price more expensive than I could buy it at home. Oh well. I appreciated the effort, all done in friendship, paid him and didn't gripe.

Fort Knox,

I will admit I did something very similar. Being new and thinking that all special releases really were special I bought both of the WR special releases that year. Like you I felt a little foolish after reading the reviews but there were a few that actually like it. So at this point I have not opened either of them.

I am going to try to keep an open mind about this until I try it and not let others opinion influence what I think about it. So with that said, give it a try and if you like it then no one else's opinion really matters.

Edited by Thig

Look at it this way Ft. Knox, think of all the money you'll save in the future because of this lesson.

Fort Knox,

Can't tell by this whether you have actually tried it yet. If not you really need to open and try it. You may find you like it. None of us have the same tastes all of the time.

Haven't tried it yet, but rest assured, it will be given a fair chance to be tasted. I'm not a huge Scotch fan, though I do have a couple that I like. They do tend to be the less-peated versions, so maybe I'll actually like it.

Haven't tried it yet, but rest assured, it will be given a fair chance to be tasted. I'm not a huge Scotch fan, though I do have a couple that I like. They do tend to be the less-peated versions, so maybe I'll actually like it.

I recall expecting to like the Straight Malt over the Classic Malt but when I tried it I found the opposite to be true. Not sure if that says more about the Classic being good or the Straight being bad...

Neither were worth the $100 price tag. The malts would have been at least better served if it came in a 2 pack half bottle size like the rye did. But the rye proved so unpopular that I suppose they didn't want people to draw a connection between them. The Master's Collection is one that I pretty much have to buy because I want to try the experiment and it has finally worn out its welcome even for me (hard to believe but true!). I will likely only buy it in the future if I have a chance to try it first, if at all.

I read in a blog somewhere the Morris said the Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay was his favorite. Perhaps that helps tell me our palates are just a wee bit different 'cause that one was pretty bad!

He also said in the same blog, which I can't find now, that the 100% rye was a "sticky mess" that got all over all the equipment and that they would "never do it again". Which makes me wonder where the proposed Woodford Rye is coming from. A B-F rep at WoW said it wasn't going to be just repackaged B-F made Rittenhouse but that would sure make sense. And can you ever trust what a rep says??? :rolleyes:

Could use some of that JD rye in it too. Unless they plan to call it KY straight.

Hmm, good thought. That hadn't occurred to me as I tend to think of JD as a separate entity from B-F even though it is not, at least on paper. I wonder if the JD Rye will still be on store shelves when the next overpriced iteration of the JD Rye comes out...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.