New Weller Labels

The Black Tot
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If I've missed someone already bringing this up in the forum, then please excuse me.

Seems like the Weller line are getting new label designs.

You know...because they weren't selling, uh, Weller 'nuff?

Everyone has their own taste, but IMO these new labels are a pretty big step down in the aesthetics department.

Hopefully everyone will agree and some of that allocation pressure can finally come off...

I couldn't help but think this isn't the first time BT has increased the amount of label surface area, which darkens the appearance of the bottle contents via increased shadow.  This also happened with ER10. Probably just coincidence, or a general modern perception of what the public wants.

Probably what they want most is more Weller, no matter what's stuck on the front!

new wellers.jpg

IMO, the last label changes were worse than this as it was basically a free fall from the prior labels, which were both elegantly designed and done is classic historical style.  It's too bad the brand doesn't take a little more pride in itself than this... 

... and while I'm piling on, I don't like them dropping the 'Old' either. 

These are graphically cleaner than the current ones though a bit too sparse given the amount of real estate on the paper.

I'm with Paddy all the way. The labels prior to the current ones are so, so much better. The bottle shapes of those were so much better as well.

I guess my main concerns would be: will the quality of whiskey change, will the price go way up, will I be able to just walk into a store and find any?

I liked the earlier paper label and anchor bottle better too.

16 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I guess my main concerns would be: will the quality of whiskey change, will the price go way up, will I be able to just walk into a store and find any?

Answers in order:

Probably not. Quality has likely degraded as much as it's going to. It's allocated enough now to be in a place of stasis.

Likely.

Not a chance.

I like the current clear labels.  I do think that the solid labeling (especially if there is a rear label of similar size) does block more light from passing through, and at least at a casual glance may seem "darker".  Although I think the big change here is pushing "Weller" as the main name.

I mean - the MAJOR question here before us is . . . will we have to start calling that sh!t "WA107" now vs "OWA"??  I mean, them extra two characters add up, and I wanna know who's paying for the inevitable wear/tear on our keyboards!!

5 hours ago, GaryT said:

I like the current clear labels.  I do think that the solid labeling (especially if there is a rear label of similar size) does block more light from passing through, and at least at a casual glance may seem "darker".  Although I think the big change here is pushing "Weller" as the main name.

I mean - the MAJOR question here before us is . . . will we have to start calling that sh!t "WA107" now vs "OWA"??  I mean, them extra two characters add up, and I wanna know who's paying for the inevitable wear/tear on our keyboards!!

HA!   I'm with ya', Dude!   All the extra electrons floating around the ether because of this could be a fire hazard!    I say stick with OLD Weller Antique, go back to the labels of 30-years ago... and to the Weller's Bourbons of thirty years ago, as well!   Heeeeee-Hee.

My theory is they are trying to differentiate the bottles a little with the different colors for the 3 different lines. But they are also making them very similar so you know they are the same family. Kinda like Johnny walker labels

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

My theory is they are trying to differentiate the bottles a little with the different colors for the 3 different lines. But they are also making them very similar so you know they are the same family. Kinda like Johnny walker labels

yep, what he said.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

These are graphically cleaner than the current ones though a bit too sparse given the amount of real estate on the paper.

I'm with Paddy all the way. The labels prior to the current ones are so, so much better. The bottle shapes of those were so much better as well.

I think once the label is on the bottle and follows the curve of the bottle surface, the proportion of empty space to text will look more balanced.  It's kind of like the size of Greenland on a flat map (Mercator projection) vs an actual globe.  Sixth grade geography example for the win.

Here is my anecdotal experience...  A friend's boyfriend was getting into bourbon and, like many who are new to this hobby in this current environment, he was asking me all about the unicorn bottles having read this or that is "the best."  I shared our common (and accurate) rhetoric of "there are much greater value bourbons out there" and "why waste your time/money for something only incrementally better" and "try these first and let your palate develop."  Regardless, my friend asked for me for advice on a bottle to get him for his birthday or Christmas or friend's hamster's christening or whatever the occasion.  I was able to find a bottle of W12 (having enough for myself) and picked it up for her.  When I presented it to her, I could tell after she looked it over that she was not impressed by the bottle, visually.  Whether it was the clear label, the twist off cap, or the lack of a fancy tube, I don't know.  All I know was until I explained how good it was based on my experience and how highly regarded it is (and perhaps it's similarity to a certain unicorn), she looked at me like, "You paid $33 for this?!  And I'm supposed to give this as a gift?"

So even though it might negatively impact price and availability of the Weller line, I think the label is probably a benefit to the brand and its perception to the more average bourbon consumer.

Jason

18 minutes ago, jp_stargazer said:

Here is my anecdotal experience...  A friend's boyfriend was getting into bourbon and, like many who are new to this hobby in this current environment, he was asking me all about the unicorn bottles having read this or that is "the best."  I shared our common (and accurate) rhetoric of "there are much greater value bourbons out there" and "why waste your time/money for something only incrementally better" and "try these first and let your palate develop."  Regardless, my friend asked for me for advice on a bottle to get him for his birthday or Christmas or friend's hamster's christening or whatever the occasion.  I was able to find a bottle of W12 (having enough for myself) and picked it up for her.  When I presented it to her, I could tell after she looked it over that she was not impressed by the bottle, visually.  Whether it was the clear label, the twist off cap, or the lack of a fancy tube, I don't know.  All I know was until I explained how good it was based on my experience and how highly regarded it is (and perhaps it's similarity to a certain unicorn), she looked at me like, "You paid $33 for this?!  And I'm supposed to give this as a gift?"

So even though it might negatively impact price and availability of the Weller line, I think the label is probably a benefit to the brand and its perception to the more average bourbon consumer.

My own anecdotal experience is similar.  When I first got into bourbon before I really knew which way was up, I actually held out on buying it for YEARS because I thought it looked cheap.

Theoretically, given that it is never available on the shelf anyway, I don't think BT has to do anything to draw more attention to it.  Unless this coincides with a price hike as you allude to.....

Edited by dcbt

I am not a fan of this redesign.  I was more than fine with the current version but my track record isn't too good with label redesigns. I liked the old 1792 label (burlap neckband) vs the new one which to me looks like a knock off perfume bottle but the majority seem to like it. Based on my thumbs down I'd say it looks like BT has a winner!! 

I hope this isn't beating a dead horse (too much).  Such a small amount gets alocated around here, maybe once a year.  The only way I'll be buying any in the future is if I happen to luck out while visiting a larger city.

Edited by PaulO

50 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I hope this isn't beating a dead horse (too much).

I don't know if that's possible to do on here...

6 minutes ago, dcbt said:

I don't know if that's possible to do on here...

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!!!!    I get that, bud.    But, hey it's a big part of the FUN!!!!

3 hours ago, jp_stargazer said:

"You paid $33 for this?!  And I'm supposed to give this as a gift?"

And this simple little short sentence accurately sums up what is wrong with bourbon in 2016 and why so much young average bourbon is selling for $100+ on the basis of a beautiful label and attractive bottle.

I do agree that the current bottles look cheap.

I don't think these new labels look any more "expensive". If anything, they look much less so.

They can wrap the new bottles in toilet paper as long as the price and flavor remains the same. Seriously I don't care. If it bothers everyone that much then pour the new juice in an old bottle. Problem Solved! :D

1 hour ago, Louisiana said:

They can wrap the new bottles in toilet paper as long as the price and flavor remains the same. Seriously I don't care. If it bothers everyone that much then pour the new juice in an old bottle. Problem Solved! :D

Quite true - what is IN the bottle is inf intently (if not completely) more important.  Hopefully they are keeping the juice inside the same - but a wise man (or wise guy) once said that more often than not, when labels change, the content tends to change.  And I certainly hope that isn't the case here :(  

As long as this stuff remains in the "unobtanium" category, I couldn't care less what the label looks like. Weller has always been a favorite of mine, in all versions, but has been a no-show around here for some time. I'm also a little biased in that none of the labels have looked as good to me as the old paper labels. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 5:32 AM, mosugoji64 said:

As long as this stuff remains in the "unobtanium" category, I couldn't care less what the label looks like. Weller has always been a favorite of mine, in all versions, but has been a no-show around here for some time. I'm also a little biased in that none of the labels have looked as good to me as the old paper labels. 

Yessiree.  Where I live, there is no Weller of any kind. Never has been. Not a matter of shortage but that the Liquor Gods have decided that we Buckeyes really don't want any of that Weller swill. (So we sneak over to KY to get ours.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.