New Weller Labels

The Black Tot
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While I really wish they would have simply stepped backwards to yesteryear and gone back to the old bottle with the paper label, I honestly like the proposed bottle and label better than the current one. However, I would have preferred they stick with W.L. Weller name and the WLW logo with this new packaging instead of just Weller and a simple W.

On 9/1/2016 at 9:48 AM, jp_stargazer said:

I think once the label is on the bottle and follows the curve of the bottle surface, the proportion of empty space to text will look more balanced.  It's kind of like the size of Greenland on a flat map (Mercator projection) vs an actual globe.  Sixth grade geography example for the win.

You were right!

Now that I've seen the new bottle shape - a narrower bottle than before - it absolutely looks OK.

On 9/1/2016 at 6:14 PM, Louisiana said:

They can wrap the new bottles in toilet paper as long as the price and flavor remains the same. Seriously I don't care. If it bothers everyone that much then pour the new juice in an old bottle. Problem Solved! :D

I expected many more SBers to express this opinion--we don't care about the bottle shape or the label as long as the bourbon is excellent. C'mon man! Let's focus on what is important.

I was in one of the largest liquor stores in a KC suburb and their shelves were almost bare of any Weller whiskey. There were only two 750ml bottles of the Reserve. They posted a note where the bottles should've been that said they were out of most Weller bottles and that the distributor couldn't provide an ETA for new stock.

7 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I was in one of the largest liquor stores in a KC suburb and their shelves were almost bare of any Weller whiskey. There were only two 750ml bottles of the Reserve. They posted a note where the bottles should've been that said they were out of most Weller bottles and that the distributor couldn't provide an ETA for new stock.

Seems like 2 years ago they couldn't give away WSR (I was routinely leaving it behind at $10).  I saw one in Kentucky recently at $20 (maybe Kentucky), and when I picked it up to double-check, a clerk remarked "Just got those in yesterday - they go fast!"  I had to hold in a laugh as I set it back in it's place (and grabbed a HH 6YR BIB for $12).  My guess is this new bottle will make it even more "premium", and add another $3-5 to the price tag.

On 9/1/2016 at 1:07 PM, dcbt said:

My own anecdotal experience is similar.  When I first got into bourbon before I really knew which way was up, I actually held out on buying it for YEARS because I thought it looked cheap.

Theoretically, given that it is never available on the shelf anyway, I don't think BT has to do anything to draw more attention to it.  Unless this coincides with a price hike as you allude to.....

Same here...It just looked like "cheap" bourbon to me. In fact, in a review I left on another site after trying it I said the only negative thing I can say about it is "the bottle and labeling are hella' ugly". I'm really glad I picked it up, though. My favorite wheater by a mile.

11 hours ago, trufunk said:

When are these hitting the stores?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobody knows because they haven't even run any of the new labels down the bottling line yet.

• 3 months later...

I saw a facebook post (I think) of a new label WSR on the counter of a liquor store. It had just been purchased. Don't remember where but it suggests they are starting to trickle out.

They were scheduled to roll out this month. So far the reaction is that they look nice but functionality has suffered. The closure is similar to the J. Walker line. Flimsy foil caps. 

Hoping the price isn't affected too greatly. The SR is good, no Antique, but I have taken to drinking it down instead of OWA for fear of my bottles running out. Hopefully the new label signifies a new era where the stock they put into production at the start of the boom is beginning to roll out, but I know I'm dreaming there.

10 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

They were scheduled to roll out this month. So far the reaction is that they look nice but functionality has suffered. The closure is similar to the J. Walker line. Flimsy foil caps. 

I saw a family size WSR over the weekend.  Didn't notice the cap, but I'm a big fan of the JW enclosures, if that's what they are like.  Nice tactile feel, can be printed /decorated for added attractiveness, easy to start and tighten, and the sound is even kinda nice.  

Saw a few last week at liquor barn. They were selling for the same old price, and I actually find the new ones pretty attractive.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I saw a family size WSR over the weekend.  Didn't notice the cap, but I'm a big fan of the JW enclosures, if that's what they are like.  Nice tactile feel, can be printed /decorated for added attractiveness, easy to start and tighten, and the sound is even kinda nice.  

I need to see one in person. The pics look nice. The internet is grumbling about the caps. Something to chat about right? 

1 minute ago, Old Dusty said:

I need to see one in person. The pics look nice. The internet is grumbling about the caps. Something to chat about right? 

I think some Beam products use them, too.  

17 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I think some Beam products use them, too.  

Good call, that does look like the cap they use on the Beam Bonded. Doesn't have a polished look/feel but it works well enough.

15 hours ago, Surtur said:

Hopefully the new label signifies a new era where the stock they put into production at the start of the boom is beginning to roll out, but I know I'm dreaming there.

It could also be rolling straight into a deeper warehouse to increase future releases of W12 or VW products.

"Or the complete opposite" - Just doin' your work for ya, Joe ;)

12 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

It could also be rolling straight into a deeper warehouse to increase future releases of W12 or VW products.

"Or the complete opposite" - Just doin' your work for ya, Joe ;)

Now, what am supposed to do, dammit?!?!

22 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Now, what am supposed to do, dammit?!?!

You're doing my DRINKING for me while I'm stuck on this boat. Somehow I think you're on the better end of this...

On January 23, 2017 at 7:08 PM, The Black Tot said:

You're doing my DRINKING for me while I'm stuck on this boat. Somehow I think you're on the better end of this...

If that's what I'm doing then I most certainly am on the better end...  :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.