Smooth Ambler halts Barrel Selections for remainder of 2017

The Black Tot
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Good Question. I've had some great high proof SAOS single barrels. It really does come down to the barrel though. The low proof cask strength single barrels do offer something unique though. They are usually very easy to drink & full of flavor. SAOS does a really great job of really giving you straight from the barrel whiskey. They basically make sure you don't get wood pieces or other sediment in your bottle. You get the full experience with Smooth Ambler.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

when i I get the chance I think I will try to find a lower proof version. I like the concept of fuller flavor and lower proof.  I really enjoy the higher octanes like ECBP, but my palate suffers burnout when I have a few.  I have had a few pours from different SAOS SiB & I have enjoyed them very much. 

• 10 months later...

The only barrel selections I've come across are for SAOS 107. Haven't seen a SiB at all this year and SAOS 7 and 10 are long gone as is the rye.  How does the SAOS 107 fair or the AW? They're both $30 but I fear they aren't similar enough to past products. 

The only barrel selections I've come across are for SAOS 107. Haven't seen a SiB at all this year and SAOS 7 and 10 are long gone as is the rye.  How does the SAOS 107 fair or the AW? They're both $30 but I fear they aren't similar enough to past products. 

I am very interested in this response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up SAOS 11 year single barrel today at Binnys in Chicago. $60. One bottle left after my purchase. Looking forward to trying. 

On 12/28/2017 at 2:03 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

Haven't tried the 107. It is a higher proof version of the AW I believe. Didn't find much to like about the AW. Not sure even more proof would help this one.

On 12/28/2017 at 1:03 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

Picked up a SAOS 107 Binnys store pick as a bit of an impulse buy. Had previously picked up a SAOS 11 year single barrel, also at Binnys. Just getting into the 11 but first impression was positive. Not a lot on the nose but overall a very smooth and balanced pour. Not in the same league as some of the Willett sourced single barrels but happy to have it for $60. Will report back once I crack the SAOS 107. Hoping for something decent given Binnys track record with store picks. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.