Wyoming Whiskey

mbroo5880i
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of the local chains indicated that they have a new whiskey in that is called Outryder by Wyoming Whiskey.  I have heard of Wyoming Whiskey but have never seen it or, if I have, I never noticed it.  The new iteration is a blend of mashbills - high rye (20%) bourbon and higher rye (48%) bourbon.  While it is NAS, internet reviews indicate it is probably around 4 years.  This makes sense because they started distilling in 2011.  It is a BIB.  As with all craft whiskeys, the price is high ($49.99) for an unproven whiskey.  

Has anyone tried Outryder or any of the Wyoming Whiskey products?  Thoughts?

Edited by mbroo5880i

I tried the standard at a hotel a bar in Jackson Hole. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. Those distillers in the dry part of the country have a tough time with aging because they have to pump humidity into their rackhouses to prevent excess evaporation. 

First off, here are a couple of links to previous threads about WW.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/16857-wyoming-whiskey/#comment-274176

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/17687-wyoming-whiskey/#comment-294806

WW is a fairly small distillery, but in no way should it be called a craft distillery. When their first batches were bottled, it was only distributed in Wyoming, then later on, several other western states. As more and more time has passed, WW has become more widely available. I've seen it in Wisconsin, and here in Illinois.

Former MM master distiller Steve Nally was lured out of retirement to start WW. The product he chose was a wheated bourbon. Steve has since moved back to Bardstown, and is now involved with the Bardstown Bourbon Company. I must say that I was a bit surprised when I found out that WW now has rye based bourbons. I don't know a thing about those, but I will say that their regular wheated  bourbon was pretty decent. To be honest though, I do have to say that my most recent bottle was a bit better than the bottle I had from batch #3. 

Joe

Steve, Joe -

Thank you for your replies.  I decided to pass on the new offering at this point.  In the grand scheme of things, $49.99 to try a "craft" or "different" bourbon-style whiskey isn't a lot.  However, I am pretty conservative when trying new products from unknown (to me) companies.  

Edited by mbroo5880i

I have the Outryder Rye Bourbon blend as you might call it. Its pretty good. Has a nice sweetness and spice to it. Lots of caramel and brown sugar notes with some hints of cinnamon. Too bad the finish is pretty short. Otherwise pretty damned good!

I got a bottle about 2 years ago.  It was horrible.  Supposedly the newer older stuff is better but they lost me as a customer with a crappy first output.  I might try it again someday at a bar but won't take a chance again on a bottle anytime soon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.