Whiskey Barons Collection from Campari

meadeweber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

Looks like Campari is releasing a couple bourbons distilled at Wild Turkey.

I really liked the price until I realized they were 375ml bottles.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/2017/01/27/24091/

I didn't like the price all that much even if they were 750's. And I have no idea what this line means.

"Although both bourbons were distilled at Wild Turkey, neither Jimmy nor Eddie Russell, Wild Turkey’s co-master distillers, were involved in their creation."

But it is not particularly encouraging!

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 minute ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I didn't like the price all that much even if they were 750's. And I have no idea what this line means.

"Although both bourbons were distilled at Wild Turkey, neither Jimmy nor Eddie Russell, Wild Turkey’s co-master distillers, were involved in their creation."

But it is not particularly encouraging!

I would have been willing to give it a chance at that price for a 750 especially the Old Ripy.

Seems more like an attempt by the suits at Campari to find another way to push into the Limited Edition craze with high priced semi-mystery whiskey. I still think I would take my chances with something made by at least one of the Russell's. Their lack of involvement in a Wild turkey bottling of any sort just seems weird, and therefore suspicious, to me.

Not that I am paranoid or anything... :ph34r:

18 minutes ago, VAGentleman said:

I agree, it doesn't make any sense that the Russell's weren't involved at all.  Wonder who the hell did it all

This guy

IMG_3528.JPG

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Seems more like an attempt by the suits at Campari to find another way to push into the Limited Edition craze with high priced semi-mystery whiskey. I still think I would take my chances with something made by at least one of the Russell's. Their lack of involvement in a Wild turkey bottling of any sort just seems weird, and therefore suspicious, to me.

Not that I am paranoid or anything... :ph34r:

^^^^This.

I'm going to need to read multiple reviews that proclaim how amazing it is (from trustworthy sources) before I consider paying that price for a whiskey that the Russells weren't involved with.

^^^^Especially since they (Jimmy and Eddie) seem to have gone to the trouble to have them explain that they WERE NOT involved in this creative endeavor. 

Not that I'm paranoid, either!  :lol:

12 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Especially since they (Jimmy and Eddie) seem to have gone to the trouble to have them explain that they WERE NOT involved in this creative endeavor. 

Not that I'm paranoid, either!  :lol:

LOL!!!

If you want some Turkey, go with some WT101 or RR and call it a day for a fraction of the cost and you'll get a full bottle to boot.  

9 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have no idea why anyone would consider that a positive.  I would think that the Russell's involvement would be a huge plus for these products.  

For all the reasons stated already, I shall not zoom out and buy either of these offerings.  

At $50 a half-bottle, it's easy to pass, or at least await some information coming from folx not expecting to profit from the releases.

It really is a head scratcher  to see the publicity point out that the Russells weren't involved.    The only logical reason I can readily see is that neither wants his name associated with these releases.    That may not be the reason, but it's the only one I initially come up with.

Hopefully, more info will materialize giving a better idea about the Russells, and hopefully some tasting notes will indicate why one or both of these releases is worth the premium asked... or why not.

Edited by Richnimrod

Price is set at $59.99 in VA - noticed them on their website yesterday - none available but coming soon - I'd say it's a pass for now anyway

Saying that the Russells are NOT involved seems like a sneaky marketing way to GET their name associated with it.

Read you Lima Charlie.  Ignore these, continue purchasing whiskies the Russells WERE involved with.  Out.

Edited by garbanzobean

Thanks for refreshing my memory, that was almost a year ago.  Very strange.  I guess he never said he or his Dad were distilling it or working on it but still weird

From the WhiskyCast Facebook page:

If you heard the story about Campari's new Whiskey Barons series on this week's show, you heard me mention that while the Old Ripy and Bond and Lillard whiskies came out of Wild Turkey, Jimmy and Eddie Russell didn't have anything to do with the creation of these two whiskies. I cheekily mentioned that it's hard to understand how anything happens at Wild Turkey without Jimmy and Eddie being involved...and received this response just now from a Campari representative:

"To bring back to life the Old Ripy and Bond & Lillard blends for the Whiskey Barons collection, Campari America conferred with T.B. Ripy IV and Tom Ripy, great-grandson and great-great-grandson of T.B. Ripy, and employed the talents of Norm Matella, Ph. D. and Campari America North American Technical Center Manager, and Robin Coupar, Campari America Global Whiskies Brand Ambassador. Together they analyzed historical documents, dipped into family archives and experimented with different blends to achieve a final product as close to the original whiskies as possible. The liquid was distilled at the Wild Turkey Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY, which sits upon the same spot where the Ripy distillery once stood. Wild Turkey Master Distillers Jimmy and Eddie Russell were not involved with the creation of Old Ripy and Bond & Lillard, as they were fully committed with projects for Wild Turkey and Russell’s Reserve. However, moving forward, Eddie Russell will be pouring his passion and expertise into the development of future Whiskey Barons products while continuing in his award-winning role as Master Distiller and key product innovator for Wild Turkey and Russell’s Reserve."

Link to page: https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyCast

Still not enough to convince me to pay $50 for a 375, but interesting nonetheless.

Might be great stuff but still not particularly interested until and when someone, or multiple someone's, who I know says it is worth a look. Or better yet somebody offers me a pour or two to try for myself! But not interest in "collecting" these bottles or buying them blind as I might have done in the past.

Hmm, can bourbon zen truly be close at hand?????

Nah!  :D

Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

For me it is. I've never had the budget for LE's, and lately I'm content to bunker some discontinued brands and try to find bottles who recently lost their age statement.

55 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Might be great stuff but still not particularly interested until and when someone, or multiple someone's, who I know says it is worth a look. Or better yet somebody offers me a pour or two to try for myself! But not interest in "collecting" these bottles or buying them blind as I might have done in the past.

Nah!  :D

But wait......I thought YOU were the guy who always took the plunge so we could read about it in the Wednesday tastings thread. Now what will we do?

Harry?

20 minutes ago, flahute said:

But wait......I thought YOU were the guy who always took the plunge so we could read about it in the Wednesday tastings thread. Now what will we do?

Harry?

We're going to need an elaborate rotational program and A LOT of volunteers

Just now, Kpiz said:

We're going to need an elaborate rotational program and A LOT of volunteers

I'm currently taking donations for review bottles. It's gonna be tough but I think I can manage :D

46 minutes ago, flahute said:

Harry?

Oh, I am still plunging! But if I do and it is going to be for mystery liquor of unknown provenance it is going to mostly be for some really weird stuff!

If it is going to be for mystery bourbon it is going to need to have a better gimmick than Messrs. Ripy, Bond & Lillard are offering.

Y'all know I'm a sucker, and will cull the fat chick. I want give notes, but I'll let you know if it's good...... I'm talking about the bourbon. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.