Whiskey Barons Collection from Campari

meadeweber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pretty sure I'm going to be a buyer on the Old Ripy at least, I will say the fact that they are the same price point is weird to a degree, especially since the Ripy is older and slightly higher proof.

12 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well first review I have seen. Bourbon & Banter Review

Still doesn't give me much interest at least until I can try it for myself which probably won't happen.

Now this part was amusing:

I asked Campari why they were releasing this as a 375ml and they told me “The Bond & Lillard and Old Ripy 375ml bottles are a nod to pre-Prohibition. Bottle sizes were not standardized then, and smaller format bottles were frequently sold.”

Maybe they can release the next one as a liter bottle for $50. I doubt there was much that was released in metric sizes before prohibition and some that bottles were frequently released in a large format bottle as well so a liter makes about as much sense as a 375!

Edited by tanstaafl2

I may spring for an Old Ripy if given the chance but the whole thing sounds like a stunt. I suppose it's possible that Campari brought someone else in to run the stills for a day but it seems unlikely to me. I, too, don't understand what's to be gained by insisting that Jimmy and Eddie had nothing to do with this. Maybe THEY insisted that no fingers be pointed their way!

17 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

I may spring for an Old Ripy if given the chance but the whole thing sounds like a stunt. I suppose it's possible that Campari brought someone else in to run the stills for a day but it seems unlikely to me. I, too, don't understand what's to be gained by insisting that Jimmy and Eddie had nothing to do with this. Maybe THEY insisted that no fingers be pointed their way!

Bourbon & Banter seems to think that these were barrels "Sourced from Wild Turkey" which implies that Jimmy and Eddie distilled the juice and barreled it, they just didn't do the blending. Also here is there Old Ripy Review: https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/drink-reviews/bourbon-reviews/old-ripy-bourbon-review/#.WJnc3lMrLIU it sounds like a proofed down Rare Breed to me.

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Bourbon & Banter seems to think that these were barrels "Sourced from Wild Turkey" which implies that Jimmy and Eddie distilled the juice and barreled it, they just didn't do the blending. Also here is there Old Ripy Review: https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/drink-reviews/bourbon-reviews/old-ripy-bourbon-review/#.WJnc3lMrLIU it sounds like a proofed down Rare Breed to me.

Yes, they seem to be clear in various press announcements that this is WT distillate. Whisky Advocate says much the same thing.  Why Campari chose to use Ripy family members and Campari staff like Norm Matella and Robin Coupar and not include either of the Russell's is something of a mystery. Shoot, Jimmy probably drank the original whiskey!

Neither of the reviews from BourbonBanter make me want to rush out and pay for a $100 bottle of whiskey.

• 3 months later...

Any updates on this, anyone on here buy one and try it?  The Old Ripy sounds sorta interesting, but doesn't sound like it's worth $60 for the small bottle.

44 minutes ago, Bourserker said:

Any updates on this, anyone on here buy one and try it?  The Old Ripy sounds sorta interesting, but doesn't sound like it's worth $60 for the small bottle.

These are shelf turds in Chicagoland.  There languishing all over the place.  Not a knock on the contents, just an observation.  I've not tried it

I haven't seen either in Atlanta. Although, admittedly I haven't been hunting like I used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only seen a few around here.  They haven't been jumping off the shelves.  Don't know whether that is attributable to the price or the contents of the bottle.

While in L'berg during the last weekend in April, my son and I had the opportunity to visit the WT Visitor's Center. 

One of the things on my 'to do' list was to see if they had bottles Old Ripy for sale there (or better yet get a taste).   Interestingly, they did not.

On 5/13/2017 at 7:45 PM, Bourserker said:

I bought both over a month ago and immediately regretted it after trying them.  The Bond and Lillard was alright, but certainly not worth the premium price.  In my opinion, the Old Ripy just wasn't good.  Considering the price point, its not surprising they sit untouched next to the KC2001 at my local Binny's.

• 2 months later...

I finally came across these bottles and I picked up a Bond and Lilliard. My first impressions are very good. I pick up a chocolate on the top of my palate with pecans afterwards.  I may be in the minority on this one but I really like it. In fact it makes me want to go out and buy the bottle of Old Ripy I left on the shelf. Wish it was a little less  expensive but if it was it would sell out quick. 

Many forum members disagree but I just can't support half sized bottles at full size pricing. Last month I left these on the shelf at a Total Wine in Texas

^^^^^Right there with you Paul.  I refuse to purchase anything under 750ml, and don't care what it is.

I am still guilty of buying the occasional overpriced BTEC if it sounds halfway interesting. Besides those bottles make a nice option for transferring other low fill bottles!

21 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^Right there with you Paul.  I refuse to purchase anything under 750ml, and don't care what it is.

If it's something you like and the price is right, why not?  Last year a store had Black Bush 375's for $7.99 and since I happen to like BB, picked up a handful. (Bonus....those skinny square bottles are great for other uses) Also, a few years ago I stumbled on a Old Fitz BIB DSP16 in a 375. It would have been insane to pass on that just because of its size.

I suppose my point is that the price rarely IS right when they do this. I have yet to see the 375ml bourbon or rum release in the last 5 years that didn't cost $50 minimum.

This has been happening in the food world as well over the last decade. Businesses have started to improve their profits by selling smaller packages at the same price as the old, larger ones. I don't see what's to like about "pay the same, get less"

Where do you draw the line? Should we still be cool with it if they want to take it to the next level and release $50 200mL bottles?

I have bought 500mL bottles of cask strength rum in Europe when no other format was available for a release. But this was 25yr cask strength pure single rum for $80, not a youngish bourbon. AND I wish the bottles were 700ml + :)

Edited by The Black Tot

post deleted. Too cynical :)

Edited by The Black Tot

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

post deleted. Too cynical :)

Well shoot. Now I want to know what you said.

I'm stand by what I said earlier and remain all in with Paul.  I get the well made points above thread (and yes, I'd pull the trigger on a dusty deal for sure), but those situations are the rare exceptions to the norm, as where I'm at on a regular basis I'm not seeing 375's of anything on a closeout special! 

I, for one, don't want to reward anyone for giving me less product.  Given the current market, I also believe that the only reason most producers haven't already shrunk the volume of the majority of bottles distributed is that they don't feel that they can (at least yet) get away with it.

So color me as a fan of Payless, not Paymore for less (and 99% of the time that is exactly what you're getting in a smaller bottle)!  :lol:

One of the consistent arguments presented on these boards for years has been that a way to improve availability of LEs like PVW, BTAC, 4R, would be to supply in 375ml in order to effectively double the number of bottles in the market for the growing demand.  It seems to me that it would be "fair" to supply at potential higher per ml pricing to offset production cost increases and even the "value" brought to market with additional availability.  I looked st the bottle size of Campari's WBC as just an attept at doing so, while keeping the overrall spend by a consumer at a lower and more agreeable price point.  Perhaps they gauge the market as being less acceptive on taking a chance on a $120 750ml of these, and more apt to buy a smaller sample to try at a lower entry cost of $60.  Interesting dilemma that I present to myself:  Is Smokinjoe more likely to positively consider such a whiskey like the WBC (on e could insert any bourbon here) at $60 for a 375, or at $120 for a 750?  Hmmmm.  I think I might like the smaller bottle option if the whiskey sucks...  :D  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.