"Remember When" prices

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Earlier today Smokinjoe posted a picture of a Lot B he uncovered while doing a little reorganizing, and number of responses commented on the price tag......$39.99, Ah yes, the good old days, even though some of those days weren't all that long ago. I've only been serious about bourbon for 8 or 9 years, but that's long enough to have been able to buy W12 for $14.79 (2011), or some ORVW for $29.43 (2012).

It's one thing to talk about what we've been able to buy in the past, but for me it's the visual images that make the most impact and that's what Joe's picture did. I took a quick look in my stash and found this bottle of Pappy 15.

Anyone else with goodies you'd care to share? I'm sure there's some amazing bottles with equally amazing price tags in bunkers throughout SB land.

20170204_220126.jpg

My Uncle Joe was a big whiskey drinker.  He drank Dickels and Daniels.  I went into my local and asked "Do you have anything that tastes better?"  The guy handed me a bottle of Pappy 15.  However, I was soon outraged at the price tag of $50 when the Dickels and Daniels was less than half the price.  The owner looked at me and said, "Is he a special Uncle?  If he is, it's worth every penny."

I purchased it and my Uncle came to me later and thanked me.  He asked if I tasted it.  I said "No, I don't care for bourbon".  He poured me a glass and asked me to taste it.  I was hooked as soon as I smelled that wonderful aroma coming from the glass. 

Of course I used to by Weller Antique....$19.99 a bottle and used to buy a case at a time.

I take this time to thank the members of this board.  I learned a lot about bourbon, especially the rule "It will never be cheaper than it is right now" 

49 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

However, I was soon outraged at the price tag of $50 when the Dickels and Daniels was less than half the price. 

Of course I used to by Weller Antique....$19.99 a bottle and used to buy a case at a time.

I take this time to thank the members of this board.  I learned a lot about bourbon, especially the rule "It will never be cheaper than it is right now" 

Dickel  No 12 is around $24 today, and I bought OWA for $22 just a couple years ago.  Its probably true, that bourbon is not a passing fad, and on its way to matching the same prices as wine by serving, and Scotch.  I see a leveling around $45 a fifth. 

I had to dig to find visual evidence, and these are all from 2013 (I didn't get seriously into bourbon until 2011, but don't have any pics).  I think I have more pics of Smokin' Joe's bottles with price tags on them than my own!!

I remember PASSING on ETL for $20 (because the GBS had just done a private pick, so couldn't imagine when I would need more!)  And I only ever bought one bottle of WSR for $10, and didn't like it well enough at that price to buy a second.

20130420_121219.jpg

This was the first release of ECBP (they didn't sticker the bottles, but they had three - I bought one, got home and opened it that night, lost my @#$% mind, and drove back the next morning to wait for them to open . . . and the other 2 were still there).  That was insanely under priced - even for 2013!

20130420_121233.jpg

This ND BDL was the best $10 I had ever spent on a 750 - hands down (I specify 750, as shortly after I picked up some ND OGD BIB 8yr 375s for about that same price, which were amazing!)

IMG_0175.JPG

Last but certainly not least, these three were in a locked case, and my rule is generally not to spend more than $50 on something unless I've tried it.  They were over an hour away, so snapped a pic, went home and checked with the experts here.  Thanks to the fine folks on this board, I turned around and spent another few hours in the car to go and pick all three up.  The store manager asked me if I was sure since the wax was cracked on one - I assured him I was.

20130817_172227.jpg

Cool thread idea Gary. I don't have many with stickers on them but here is a discontinued price performer and a great year for OFBB (2013). Look at how the price on that one has jumped in three years!

IMG_6109.JPG

As recently as 2012. For me to find  the real bargains of yesterday would require bunker diving. And then mandatory rearrangement ala smokinjoe's weekend project and I've been procrastinating on that for too long, so why start today :)048.jpg

2 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Cool thread idea Gary. I don't have many with stickers on them but here is a discontinued price performer and a great year for OFBB (2013). Look at how the price on that one has jumped in three years!

IMG_6109.JPG

That's exactly what I paid for my 2013 OFBB! It was on the shelf even. 

It was just a couple of years ago, 2013 I believe, that I was purchasing ETL for $25. I picked up 4-5 and then barely ever saw them again. 

Someone (can't remember who and I'm too lazy to go look!) had posted a pic a couple weeks ago of a Weller Centennial bottle with a $24.99 price tag on it I think.

I posted this in the "what are you drinking" thread a couple weeks ago - I was drinking from a bottle of Old Charter 7yr BIB with a price tag of $3.54 on it. It's darn good too. If I came across some at that price today I'd buy two cases.

I looked through the bunker and no price tags.  I was hoping some of my 20+ WFE's had some, because they were comparatively cheap compared to the insane secondary prices, and they just sat there on the shelf.

A liter of Barclay's for $9.99. It's the last of a number of these I was able to pull out of one store over time.

Cheers! Joe

bar.jpeg

I have some WFE 11yr olds in the cabinet that were purchased for $70-$80 in 2014. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was at the time. 

Remembering back to when I passed on shelves loaded with ORVW at $34.99 because I already had a bottle makes me a little sad. :(

Can't make out the prices, but here's a photo taken at Total Wine a few years back. On the second rack from the left on the top shelf, you can see both ORVW 10/90 and 10/107 just hanging out. 

IMG080.jpg

3 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Can't make out the prices, but here's a photo taken at Total Wine a few years back. On the second rack from the left on the top shelf, you can see both ORVW 10/90 and 10/107 just hanging out. 

IMG080.jpg

Nice - and on that top shelf a few bottles down it looks like a "Vintage Bourbon"!

13 hours ago, GaryT said:

Nice - and on that top shelf a few bottles down it looks like a "Vintage Bourbon"!

I saw those too. :)

On 2/5/2017 at 9:03 AM, Old Dusty said:

IMG_6109.JPG

I remember buying OC10 in college for that price. It was really good & fit in the budget!

Not quite the topic of the thread but I remember that three years ago the bar across the street from the office had pours of GTS for $17. Thought it was splurge. 

One of the joys of dusty hunting was I would often fine old bottles in little old stores with price stickers that hadn't changed since they were first put on the shelf.

I only bought Pappy once in 2010. It was on clearance so I bought about a dozen bottles of 15 @ $45 each and 4 bottles of 20 @ $70 each. Still have about 1/2 of them. I have bought several of the other van winkles at list.

Edited by Enoch

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.