Jump to content
beasled

Four Roses 2017 Small Batch LE

Recommended Posts

The Black Tot   
The Black Tot

Yup. I was just getting ready to post this.

 

Wonder what they're planning for an MSRP?

 

And will this be in addition to a more usual 2017 SmBLE? Or something additional?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jvd99   
jvd99

I read somewhere this 50th bottle could be in addition to the regular small batch LE, but not sure because this label specifically says "2017 Limited Edition" so this could be the only one this year.  I wonder how much of the 23 year OBSV is going into the blend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz
I read somewhere this 50th bottle could be in addition to the regular small batch LE, but not sure because this label specifically says "2017 Limited Edition" so this could be the only one this year.  I wonder how much of the 23 year OBSV is going into the blend?


I was just wondering the same thing. I'm surprised they have bourbon old in their rack houses. We'll unfortunately probably never know the proportions, IIRC they don't let that info get out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby   
Clueby

Does this mean the stuff is already all blended and ready to go?  Is it sitting in tanks awaiting bottling?  Or do they just come up with the blend/ratios as a small test batch and do the final blend just before bottling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

When Brent Elliot was on the Bourbon Pursuit podcast he said this was the only release, he basically said they stick a name on the normal releases if there is something worth honoring IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
Posted (edited)

You would think maybe they could come up with four that added up to 50 years! B)

 

Maybe it will be great but if the MSRP is raised significantly not sure I am chasing. Can't imagine there is much of the 23 in it and not sure I would want a lot. Heavy oak is not a typical hallmark of Four Roses for me.

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2
Forgot to add the sarcafont...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot   
The Black Tot

I also thought they'd spend more time talking about Al on the bottle instead of doing a full review of the bourbon. What's left for the bloggers?

 

Hoping the production figures on this are at least as large as the regular small batch LE distribution. I'd like one.

 

Anyone heard the latest on Mr Rutledge's upcoming distillery? I haven't heard much since the failed kickstarter attempt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

I wonder how many bottles, as well as the distribution (States/quantities)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
garbanzobean   
garbanzobean
3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I also thought they'd spend more time talking about Al on the bottle instead of doing a full review of the bourbon. What's left for the bloggers?

 

Hoping the production figures on this are at least as large as the regular small batch LE distribution. I'd like one.

 

Anyone heard the latest on Mr Rutledge's upcoming distillery? I haven't heard much since the failed kickstarter attempt.

I haven't seen any updates on their Facebook page since mid October of 2016.  Honestly I'm a little shocked that multiple billionaires aren't falling over themselves to let Rutledge go nuts on their dime.  If I were super rich I would definitely own a distillery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody   
LCWoody
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I haven't seen any updates on their Facebook page since mid October of 2016.  Honestly I'm a little shocked that multiple billionaires aren't falling over themselves to let Rutledge go nuts on their dime.  If I were super rich I would definitely own a distillery.

The problem with investing in alcohol is 23 years from now Mad Dog 2020 might be the hottest thing since Pappy 20y...:lol:

Edited by LCWoody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
garbanzobean   
garbanzobean
6 hours ago, LCWoody said:

The problem with investing in alcohol is 23 years from now Mad Dog 2020 might be the hottest thing since Pappy 20y...:lol:

Horseracing is often incredibly unprofitable, but that doesn't stop the mega-rich from throwing away millions (sometimes tens of millions) on status symbols.  Same thing for Vinyards.  My point is not that I think doing this is a sound investment, it is that I am surprised that owning one's own bourbon distillery (or even a small craft distillery) is not seen as a very desirable status symbol for the very wealthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jvd99   
jvd99
8 hours ago, LCWoody said:

The problem with investing in alcohol is 23 years from now Mad Dog 2020 might be the hottest thing since Pappy 20y...:lol:

 

No way, in 23 years I'll be searching for dusty Fireball from the mid-teens era and kicking my former self for not stocking up in 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod   
Richnimrod
49 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

 

No way, in 23 years I'll be searching for dusty Fireball from the mid-teens era and kicking my former self for not stocking up in 2017

You can have all my bottle!    Oh, wait.... I guess that's a meaningless gift, since I have never owned a bottle.    If you like, I'll grab one up for you and save it for a couple decades.    Lemme know.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
heydobro   
heydobro

Looking forward to trying this. I'd love to try the individual components of this blend

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Louisiana   
Louisiana

 

4 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Wow, a 23 year blend.

 

Well, technically a 12 year small batch. 12, 13, 15, & 23 year components. Seriously doubt there is much 23 year in it. Very surprised Four Roses has whiskey that old. I bet it will be very good though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hop   
Hop

Probably reading too much into it but did anyone else notice the neck label in the TTB link is the same size/type as that of the 4R Yellow Label bottle?  Wonder if this will be bottled in that style of bottle rather than the standard SB or SmB bottle?  It would be a change of pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jvd99   
jvd99
1 hour ago, Louisiana said:

 

 

Well, technically a 12 year small batch. 12, 13, 15, & 23 year components. Seriously doubt there is much 23 year in it. Very surprised Four Roses has whiskey that old. I bet it will be very good though.

 

 

Sku posted about how the TTB regs require the percentages be shown on the label - I'm not holding my breath though, the "thimble" of 23 year old line is the best

 

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2017/03/why-doesnt-four-roses-follow-labeling.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz
54 minutes ago, Hop said:

Probably reading too much into it but did anyone else notice the neck label in the TTB link is the same size/type as that of the 4R Yellow Label bottle?  Wonder if this will be bottled in that style of bottle rather than the standard SB or SmB bottle?  It would be a change of pace.

 

Good catch. That neck label certainly seems to be designed for a taller bottle. The label itself seems tall and skinny also, now that I look at it again. The 2016 LESmB label approval has a neck label that fits the shorter Small Batch bottle, so while it may be a mistake, it certainly could indicate a bottle change. The yellow label bottle would be easy for them since they already use those bottles, but on the other hand, having their most sought-after release share the same bottle as their lowest-priced regular release seems a bit odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2

Perhaps their are going to change to a completely new bottle style for this release. They now have a new master distiller and a new bottling line so it might be time to sweep out the old and bring in the new. Distilleries seem to do that for no apparent reason on a regular basis. The new Woodford Double Oaked bottle and Weller bottle for example. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jvd99   
jvd99
Posted (edited)

Could be for a FR Super Premium bottle, one already used, but for the Japanese market

Edited by jvd99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz
19 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Could be for a FR Super Premium bottle, one already used, but for the Japanese market

 

Dialed up to 750ml. Or is the Super Premium bottle already 750ml?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy   
Paddy
3 hours ago, Louisiana said:

 

 

Well, technically a 12 year small batch. 12, 13, 15, & 23 year components. Seriously doubt there is much 23 year in it. Very surprised Four Roses has whiskey that old. I bet it will be very good though.

 

 

Agree!  If Al picked it (and they say he did), it will be very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A-Bar   
A-Bar
Agree!  If Al picked it (and they say he did), it will be very good. 


Al did select this for release.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×