6+ year, 100+proof, $25 or under regular mashbill?

JPK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

For $25 you can get 2 of the VOB BIB. Yeah, the 6 yr age statement has gone by the wayside but I'd guess it's still pretty close. IIRC it's around 15% rye

2 hours ago, JPK said:

that's a good thought too.

Thanks!

Good point Vosgar. I hadn't thought of VOBBIB6 because I'm not sure how widespread distribution is these days. If you can find it JPK, I think this one will be squarely in your wheelhouse given the bourbons you've said you like and that you think WT101 tastes on the high rye side. 

^^^Vosgar beat me to it (but, what he said).  I very much find it to be fruit forward (unlike the HH BIBs), which seems to be in your wheelhouse. 

5 hours ago, Xevious said:

Knob Creek is around $25 depending on where you live. No longer age stated but should still be >6 years.

Knob Creek Single Barrel still has an age statement.  You could just bring the proof down with water or ice.  I don't know how your prices are.

For 100 proof stuff; I say try whatever bonds available.

2 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Knob Creek Single Barrel still has an age statement.  You could just bring the proof down with water or ice.  I don't know how your prices are.

For 100 proof stuff; I say try whatever bonds available.

Quite true but that blows past his $25 price limit by quite a bit.

Already mentioned Virgin Bourbon 101 is 7 years - that's the only 6yr+ under $25 I can find. 

Apart from WT101 and bottles that pretty much don't leave KY or other small regions, this is a category that has pretty much disappeared. 

Too bad you're Rye averse, OGD Bonded and 114 are fav budget pours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say I'm rye averse.

I love OGD114 and other ryes.

In this case I'm really just trying to "fill the gaps" in what I've tried in order to increase my palate's experience.

Thank you all for the many great suggestions.

Virgin is age stated as 7, clocks in at 101 proof, and goes for around $13 if you can find it. It's a Heaven Hill product, so I'm assuming same mash bill as EW, EC, Etc.

Edited by BDanner

I've read about Virgin. Not available in these parts though. I would like to try it if given the chance.

I've also read that there are at least a few people thinking it is actually Old Ezra.

8 hours ago, BDanner said:

Virgin is age stated as 7, clocks in at 101 proof, and goes for around $13 if you can find it. It's a Heaven Hill product, so I'm assuming same mash bill as EW, EC, Etc.

Look for it in 1.75's here in NC - it's $23.95  I just compared it to OE7/101 and to my taste the two are the same bourbon just in different bottles

On 3/19/2017 at 0:38 PM, flahute said:

WT is very much in the low rye spectrum. 

The disparity in our perceptions of which bourbons are "high rye" may be an indicator that many of us can not tell the difference by taste alone, without consulting the mashbill. Some of us have a hard enough time distinguishing rye formula bourbons from wheaters! Perhaps we should just drink what we like regardless of what it is called.

True.

...and as was mentioned before, sometimes the rye flavor stands out in front even when the mashbill would lead you to think it wouldn't....or visa versa.

I purposefully tried high rye and straight rye whiskeys just for the sake of learning what the rye flavor really is so I could have a clue of what others are talking about in the wierd quasy objective reviews found around the net.

I've found in my limited tastings that I do like some rye flavor in my pour...but not having the rye be front and center....at least not all the time.

At times OGD114 is perfect...other times it's just too sharp and I'd rather sip on a simple sweet, charry, lower proof EWB.

I have different moods...and with them comes cravings for different flavors.

...simple statement..not so simple to satisfy at times...

I certainly try to drink what I like....as much as possible..lol

I also like to try new things, often with comparisons in mind.

I find it fun to research a bit and try to have some sort of reasoning or structure behind trying the next new drink.

Often I'm surprised at the results..for better or worse...but it's all part of the fun.

...like in this case..I'm trying to compare similarly aged bourbons of similar proof marks that have different mashbills in order to educate myself on the subject.

Not really trying to find the "perfect" pour (if I do find mine, I'll not complain)...just trying to learn and have some fun.

Edited by JPK

8 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

The disparity in our perceptions of which bourbons are "high rye" may be an indicator that many of us can not tell the difference by taste alone, without consulting the mashbill. Some of us have a hard enough time distinguishing rye formula bourbons from wheaters! Perhaps we should just drink what we like regardless of what it is called.

I so agree.  Parsing the mashbills in an attempt to bring order to tasting experiences seems like a mighty high mountain to climb.  Personally, I find them to be little more than semi-interesting footnotes.  Like F2 says, I find it hard to differentiate between a wheater and a rye bourbon.  

We just did a blind tasting of EWBIB, Virgin and OE101.  Virgin and Old Ezra did not taste the same to the two of us.  Virgin is hotter and spicier.  All are decent for the money.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:40 PM, Vosgar said:

For $25 you can get 2 of the VOB BIB. Yeah, the 6 yr age statement has gone by the wayside but I'd guess it's still pretty close. IIRC it's around 15% rye

Just to pile on - I have an almost full VOB BIB "6yr" I had bunkered and opened by mistake a couple months ago.  I use it now to measure VOB BIB "6"s I now by two at a time.  For several years now, I have been watching for differences, but the only "differences" I find between the "6yr" and the "6" are those one typically finds from large batch to large batch of a standard brand over the years.  I do not yet detect a "youngish" element to it.  I still think VOB BIB "6" is a bargain at, around here when one can find it, $17 a 750ml.

Good to know Harry.

The only VOB in my area is the 90 proof.

Don't read much about it.

Seems the BIB version is the most liked....and goes down in enjoyment hand in hand with proof.

hey Swoboda...

How would you compare the OE101 to EWBIB?

I find the EWBIB to have a thinner mouthfeel and more on the lighter fruity side of bourbon, fresh oak and with less char than EWB....a lighter crisper bourbon if you will.

The OE101 seemed to be sweeter, thicker feeling, more rye taste and quite a bit more "old"oak and some mint.

What do you think?

Thanks

Edited by JPK

3 hours ago, JPK said:

hey Swoboda...

How would you compare the OE101 to EWBIB?

I find the EWBIB to have a thinner mouthfeel and more on the lighter fruity side of bourbon, fresh oak and with less char than EWB....a lighter crisper bourbon if you will.

The OE101 seemed to be sweeter, thicker feeling, more rye taste and quite a bit more "old"oak and some mint.

What do you think?

Thanks

That sounds about right - at least to my palate. 

hey Swoboda...

What do you think?
Thanks

This has my interest. I love a touch of mint to my palate when I drink bourbon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't catch the mint every time. When I do, I find it shows up right after the swallow...just briefly..mostly while I'm exhaling.

I don't catch the mint every time. When I do, I find it shows up right after the swallow...just briefly..mostly while I'm exhaling.

That sounds wonderful. I often taste Doublemint gum when I drink Old Fitzgerald BIB, at it is one of my favorite aspects of the taste of that bourbon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.