6+ year, 100+proof, $25 or under regular mashbill?

JPK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

33 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

That sounds wonderful. I often taste Doublemint gum when I drink Old Fitzgerald BIB, at it is one of my favorite aspects of the taste of that bourbon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I also pick up on that note in the Fitz BIB, and enjoy it as well. 

The mint note (eucalyptus?) discussed upthread is also commonly found (by my palate) in HH brands, particularly some vintages of EWSB

11 hours ago, JPK said:

hey Swoboda...

How would you compare the OE101 to EWBIB?

I find the EWBIB to have a thinner mouthfeel and more on the lighter fruity side of bourbon, fresh oak and with less char than EWB....a lighter crisper bourbon if you will.

The OE101 seemed to be sweeter, thicker feeling, more rye taste and quite a bit more "old"oak and some mint.

What do you think?

Thanks

My take on OE101 is that there's a satisfying funk (sourdough) and spiciness (rye/pepper) to it.  The EWBIB is definitely lighter and makes me think herbal, or vegetal.  I can't say I've ever thought it fruity and delicate (like Four Roses).   I like both of these so much, especially at the price, that it doesn't really matter much . . . I'll have some of each around for everyday consumption.  For cocktails, the nod goes to OE101.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:09 PM, Hop said:

Look for it in 1.75's here in NC - it's $23.95  I just compared it to OE7/101 and to my taste the two are the same bourbon just in different bottles

I finally broke down and tried it a couple weeks ago after enjoying the Old Ezra 90 proof. I figured they had to be similar. I enjoyed it well enough to make a handle my next purchase. 

I also recall reading (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) that the Virgin 101 was originally intended as a Japanese export, hence the cheesy over-the-top cartoonish "American" label. What shows up here is simply HH trying to get rid of excess inventory that didn't make it overseas for whatever reason.

Edited by BDanner

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.