morebourbon85
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

The above are your answer to the below:

Also, really?  You guys understand your attitudes about flipping for profit are pretty much counter to everything SB.com stands for, right?

Let me backtrack...I was pretty much joking about selling for a profit. Buying six isn't really excessive especially when getting a discount at four. I really bought these for myself cause I'm not sure when I'll come across them again. Plus I have a few friends who like Blantons and if they wanted a bottle, I'd sell at cost.  With that said, I wouldn't mind trading one or two for something as desirable. Nothing wrong with that. I don't go out of my way to resell, but if an opportunity came, I may just say yes.

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Getting 10% off I get but it seems that by buying all 6 we are creating our own supply inequities. Hoarding is a fever that spreads faster than the Spanish flu did last century thanks to the internet and forums such as this. Maybe the MBA's/psychologists among us can settle this dilemma. Why should a mass produced product be so difficult for some to obtain? I'm reminded of the resurgence of the baseball card market in the late 80's and how cards took off like a rocket but the frenzy quickly died down and prices with it.

Maybe, but when it gets scarce here, I'd rather load up when finding it

55 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Not in the least.  Are you licensed to resell alcohol in the state of Virginia?  

Nope. The only licenses I have are to operate a motor vehicle (2 or 4 wheels) and carry concealed. ;) And as far as flipping the ORVW if I had been one of the lucky 10 winners is moot anyway since I didn't win. But in any event if I did win I wouldn't have offered it for sale on this site so the sanctity of SB.com is preserved. :D

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Why should a mass produced product be so difficult for some to obtain? 

Several reasons. A clerk explained to me that BT is a "small distillery" and they just can't keep up with demand.  In some places, the distributors allocate based on their best retail customers so some get case after case while others don't get any. Then there are the control states where the Liquor Gods in the state capitals decide what you really want to drink and how much you should pay for it. Then there are the purely technical obstacles. If you want to increase production of most mass market stuff, you put on another shift at the factory. If you want more bourbon, you are just going to have to wait a few years. Distillers may be a little shy of making an investment in new capacity because they have already been burned by one major glut experience.

I've tasted Blanton's.  Took my time and really studied its nose, palate, finish.  Given what is out there available on the shelf, I have no desire to search for or buy it. It's not that good.  In the 50-60 range, there's RR SiB, Pikesville, KC SiB selections, SAOS SiB, etc.  Why Blanton's has the hype escapes me.  YMMV.

14 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

While not always available, I can usually find Blanton's in Iowa. Last time I was at the grocery store there was 5 or 6 at $55 or so which is the typical price here. Other stores have plenty as well. We get plenty of CEHT too, small batch is always available, single barrel sometimes. CEHT Rye and Sazerac are common here so we have a good selection of Buffalo Trace products, no Weller though!

2 stores in  central Iowa just did a barrel selection for WSR.  I'll try to let you know when it arrives. 

I have not seen Blanton's here recently.  I was over in eastern Nebraska 2 weeks ago, and they had 1 case that was already spoken for.  The manager offered to take my name when another case arrives, expected in the next 2-3 MONTHS.

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

I'm curious, taking a drive over the bridge, is the supply any different in Canada?

Canada?   You're kidding, right? 

A) I have waaaaaay more (& mostly better) Bourbon on my own shelf than the LCBO in Windsor (much of which I like better than Blanton's);

B) I wouldn't travel that far for a bottle of whiskey, especially dealing with the Security at the border.

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

Getting 10% off I get but it seems that by buying all 6 we are creating our own supply inequities. Hoarding is a fever that spreads faster than the Spanish flu did last century thanks to the internet and forums such as this. Maybe the MBA's/psychologists among us can settle this dilemma. Why should a mass produced product be so difficult for some to obtain? I'm reminded of the resurgence of the baseball card market in the late 80's and how cards took off like a rocket but the frenzy quickly died down and prices with it.

1)  You're about 3-4 years late to complain about hoarding. That ship sailed a looooooong time ago.

2)  If he didn't do it, someone else would have. 

3)  When guys like him and a lot of us here stock our bunkers, we don't buy in quantity like that in the future and it still doesn't make a difference, the product still sells out.

7 hours ago, DCFan said:

Is there one letter that's harder to find than the others?

Unlike the McDonald's Monopoly pieces, NO!  According to the folks at the BT distillery, the tops are randomly inserted from a large bin at the end of the bottling line.  It's just another fun thing to do when you're drinking Blanton's.  Some folk go blank when trying to remember what letter they need (which "N" was it?) or don't bother to look inside the box when they buy.  My mind is failing me more and more everyday - what was the question???   :blink:

And I certainly don't remember who told me that it was very bad karma to clear a shelf of any bourbon (even if it was PVW15 @ $109.99 ea!).  If I find something I have been looking for on a shelf at a price I'm willing to pay, I'll always leave at least one (1) bottle for the next guy/gal.  And, so far, I've been blessed with great karma finding stuff that seem to elude other buyers.  Just sayin' . . . . . . .  :D

Anyone coming through KS looking for it pm me I know where many are. most alongside Wellers antique

I see Blanton's occasionally.  The price ranges between $49.99 and $61.99.  At $49.99, it is a good value.  At $61.99, not so much.  At $61.99, it competes with FR PS, MMCS and ECBP.  I can typically find most FR PS at $54.99 and MMCS at $49.99. I still like having a bottle of Blanton's in the bunker.

8 hours ago, flahute said:

1)  You're about 3-4 years late to complain about hoarding. That ship sailed a looooooong time ago.

2)  If he didn't do it, someone else would have. 

3)  When guys like him and a lot of us here stock our bunkers, we don't buy in quantity like that in the future and it still doesn't make a difference, the product still sells out.

RE: 2 - Really though? I'm sure high interest bottles will sell out, but it's a stretch to say that if every Bourbon nerd bunkering 6 bottles at a time, bought 1 or 2 instead, that someone else would grab the other 4-5 in one go. Contrary what it may seem like reading this forum, most people don't typically buy 6 bottles of whiskey (or any booze) at a time, even people who rather enjoy whiskey.

In my mind, the reasons that draw one to hoard bottles, scarcity, worry that they'll not be able to find the bottle again, are exactly the reasons not to hoard. I enjoy whiskey quite a lot, but I also enjoy enjoying whiskey with other people, and I enjoy hearing about others share their opinions and experiences with regard to whiskey. If I buy 6 bottles rather than 1 of something that is very hard to find, thats potentially 5 people who will never have that experience, or have had it but won't again. To me, this seems unnecessarily selfish.

While there are no laws against buying more than one bottle of whiskey at a time, it's not exactly a commodity like soap or toothpaste. Every bottle you buy is necessarily a bottle someone else won't, and hoarding bottles that sit on a shelf, not to be drank until years later, or ever (let's not pretend that people buying 6 at a time don't have 20 open and another 20 bunkered). I don't care for it personally, I would rather tell a friend (or someone on this site) when I find an excess of something exceptional. Then, go back when I've finished my bottle and pick up another if it's still there, if it is, I'm clearly more interested than other people in my area. If not, the supply surely outweighs the demands which means I would likely have robbed someone else of the same excitement that I feel when I find a special bottle.

Edited by EarthQuake

19 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

RE: 2 - Really though? I'm sure high interest bottles will sell out, but it's a stretch to say that if every Bourbon nerd bunkering 6 bottles at a time, bought 1 or 2 instead, that someone else would grab the other 4-5 in one go. Contrary what it may seem like reading this forum, most people don't typically buy 6 bottles of whiskey (or any booze) at a time, even people who rather enjoy whiskey.

In my mind, the reasons that draw one to hoard bottles, scarcity, worry that they'll not be able to find the bottle again, are exactly the reasons not to hoard. I enjoy whiskey quite a lot, but I also enjoy enjoying whiskey with other people, and I enjoy hearing about others share their opinions and experiences with regard to whiskey. If I buy 6 bottles rather than 1 of something that is very hard to find, thats potentially 5 people who will never have that experience, or have had it but won't again. To me, this seems unnecessarily selfish.

While there are no laws against buying more than one bottle of whiskey at a time, it's not exactly a commodity like soap or toothpaste. Every bottle you buy is necessarily a bottle someone else won't, and hoarding bottles that sit on a shelf, not to be drank until years later (or ever?). I don't care for it personally, I would rather tell a friend (or someone on this site) when I find an excess of something exceptional. Then, go back when I've finished my bottle and pick up another if it's still there, if it is, I'm clearly more interested than other people in my area. If not, the supply surely outweighs the demands which means I would likely have robbed someone else of the same excitement that I feel when I find a special bottle.

I want to give you a standing ovation here. Really well said. I've ever been a fan of buying more than two bottles at a time. If that means I'll run out of a specific product in the future I'll be ok with that. 

17 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Canada?   You're kidding, right? 

A) I have waaaaaay more (& mostly better) Bourbon on my own shelf than the LCBO in Windsor (much of which I like better than Blanton's);

B) I wouldn't travel that far for a bottle of whiskey, especially dealing with the Security at the border.

How many other countries you got on the other side of that bridge? :D But I forgot about the 911 border crossing hassles. I feel the same way when I cross the Potomac. Oy vay! ;)

7 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I want to give you a standing ovation here. Really well said. I've ever been a fan of buying more than two bottles at a time. If that means I'll run out of a specific product in the future I'll be ok with that. 

Agreed. I knew someone, in this case EarthQuake, could state it better than I could. Thankfully Va (and DC) have plentiful supplies of the stuff.

27 minutes ago, DCFan said:

How many other countries you got on the other side of that bridge? :D

Depends upon how far one decides to travel once the bridge is crossed.... The possibilities are endless.    Of course the wallet and the watch will generally govern.

46 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Depends upon how far one decides to travel once the bridge is crossed.... The possibilities are endless.    Of course the wallet and the watch will generally govern.

No amount of polar ice will stop us in our quest for good bourbon, right? :D

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Agreed. I knew someone, in this case EarthQuake, could state it better than I could. Thankfully Va (and DC) have plentiful supplies of the stuff.

Yet you would happily take a product that others would really love to get a bottle of and drink with no intention of drinking it yourself.  Instead you would flip it illegally for a tidy profit, as you said.  Pot, meet kettle.

11 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

While there are no laws against buying more than one bottle of whiskey at a time, it's not exactly a commodity like soap or toothpaste. Every bottle you buy is necessarily a bottle someone else won't, and hoarding bottles that sit on a shelf, not to be drank until years later, or ever (let's not pretend that people buying 6 at a time don't have 20 open and another 20 bunkered). I don't care for it personally, I would rather tell a friend (or someone on this site) when I find an excess of something exceptional. Then, go back when I've finished my bottle and pick up another if it's still there, if it is, I'm clearly more interested than other people in my area. If not, the supply surely outweighs the demands which means I would likely have robbed someone else of the same excitement that I feel when I find a special bottle.

A stretch? Not in the slightest. We bourbon nerds are a drop in the bucket. New people come into the hobby every day with the fear of missing out driving purchasing decisions. I see it on a weekly basis. 

I've often wondered why Blanton's and other BT masbill #2 bourbons (outside of AAA10*) are occasionally difficult to find. With the Wellers, I get that there's the "same thing as Pappy!" aspect to it. But, it's never been clear to me why Blanton's and RHF are difficult to find relative to similar products from other distilleries.

Is it just that not much is produced? Is it really that much more sought after?

5 minutes ago, Spade said:

I've often wondered why Blanton's and other BT masbill #2 bourbons (outside of AAA10*) are occasionally difficult to find. With the Wellers, I get that there's the "same thing as Pappy!" aspect to it. But, it's never been clear to me why Blanton's and RHF are difficult to find relative to similar products from other distilleries.

Is it just that not much is produced? Is it really that much more sought after?

I think it's because it's made by the same people who make Pappy.  All BT products are pretty hard to find these days.

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Yet you would happily take a product that others would really love to get a bottle of and drink with no intention of drinking it yourself.  Instead you would flip it illegally for a tidy profit, as you said.  Pot, meet kettle.

Forgive me father for I have sinned. :D If you want to equate flipping with the topic at hand, hoarding, then so be it.

23 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Forgive me father for I have sinned. :D If you want to equate flipping with the topic at hand, hoarding, then so be it.

He's not equating. He's saying that flipping is worse. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.