morebourbon85
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 minutes ago, Thig said:

It went from hoarding to flipping on post#14, your post.

Sheesh I voluntarily disclosed that to show that I'm not pure when it comes to bourbon infidelities  :D but if garbanzo wants to make this about me now instead of hoarding so be it.

1 hour ago, Spade said:

I've often wondered why Blanton's and other BT masbill #2 bourbons (outside of AAA10*) are occasionally difficult to find. With the Wellers, I get that there's the "same thing as Pappy!" aspect to it. But, it's never been clear to me why Blanton's and RHF are difficult to find relative to similar products from other distilleries.

Is it just that not much is produced? Is it really that much more sought after?

I'd have to imagine that production is pretty limited on the mashbill #2 products. Buffalo trace won't disclose but given availability of standard Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare I'd have to imagine mashbill #1 is produced in substantially higher amounts.  

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

I'd have to imagine that production is pretty limited on the mashbill #2 products. Buffalo trace won't disclose but given availability of standard Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare I'd have to imagine mashbill #1 is produced in substantially higher amounts.  

To really muck things up further though, we have recently learned that barrels of MB #2 are going into some ER bottles...I wonder if the BT-AI agreement is for bottle sales/brands, and not necessarily distillation/barrels put away?  And if so, and there is a hard cap per this agreement, this might further explain the scarcity of Blanton's, ETL, and RHF while still reallocating distillate to historically MB #1 brands.  Safe to say that AI only owns the brands, and not the mashbill/distillate?

Blantons on offer Downunder.  This is from a nation-wide retailer, so it's pretty much available in every state and/or major city/town.

To work out the $USD, take 25% off our retail price.

Blantons.JPG

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

To really muck things up further though, we have recently learned that barrels of MB #2 are going into some ER bottles...I wonder if the BT-AI agreement is for bottle sales/brands, and not necessarily distillation/barrels put away?  And if so, and there is a hard cap per this agreement, this might further explain the scarcity of Blanton's, ETL, and RHF while still reallocating distillate to historically MB #1 brands.  Safe to say that AI only owns the brands, and not the mashbill/distillate?

Thanks Joe.  I recall reading that hear in another thread and didn't even think of it.  Somehow I took that to mean that it was more of those particular bottles not fitting the specific profile of particular AI brands, but maybe not because I'm not sure any of them are 10+ years like it would require for Eagle Rare (although I guess Rock Hill Farms may be).

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Interesting. It's definitely consistent with the fact that ER10 and Stagg Jr. seem more readily available than Blanton's and RHF in the last year or so (at least that's what I've noticed). I still see Hancock's but have never pulled the trigger on that one.

On 5/30/2017 at 2:23 PM, smokinjoe said:

I wonder if there will be any way to determine which ER bottles are mash bill #2?  I'd be interested in that; regular ER not so much.

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I wonder if there will be any way to determine which ER bottles are mash bill #2?  I'd be interested in that; regular ER not so much.

Don't think so. They're going by what tastes like it fits a profile. Given all the variabilities in the BT rickhouses and how much that aging can influence the final outcome, I reckon the minor differences in the rye percentage between the two mashbills can be negated by what happens in the barrel.

Don't think so. They're going by what tastes like it fits a profile. Given all the variabilities in the BT rickhouses and how much that aging can influence the final outcome, I reckon the minor differences in the rye percentage between the two mashbills can be negated by what happens in the barrel.

Do they use the same yeast strain? My guess is yes? Heck I think they might use the same yeast on the Weller line?

I find it odd Sazerac uses excess mash 2 on ER. Figured they could work something out to sell the excess to Ancient Age? Would think it would be more profitable for both parties to use it towards more bottles of ETL, RHF and Blanton's? Maybe the excess barrels don't hit the right profile?

19 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Do they use the same yeast strain? My guess is yes? Heck I think they might use the same yeast on the Weller line?

I find it odd Sazerac uses excess mash 2 on ER. Figured they could work something out to sell the excess to Ancient Age? Would think it would be more profitable for both parties to use it towards more bottles of ETL, RHF and Blanton's? Maybe the excess barrels don't hit the right profile?

Don't know for sure, but pretty sure it's the same yeast. It's a box yeast at that.

It's not that it's "excess" mash 2, it's that it's mash 2 that has aged into a taste profile that matches mash 1. Your last question is the answer to your overall question - the barrels don't hit the right profile.

On June 1, 2017 at 2:10 AM, flahute said:

Don't know for sure, but pretty sure it's the same yeast. It's a box yeast at that.

It's not that it's "excess" mash 2, it's that it's mash 2 that has aged into a taste profile that matches mash 1. Your last question is the answer to your overall question - the barrels don't hit the right profile.

Just throwing this out there...Could it be that there are not separate #1 and #2 mashbills now, at lest as we might understand these to be?  

^^^I surmise that they've gone rouge and blended the two mashbills into a hybrid bastard child.  :D

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Just throwing this out there...Could it be that there are not separate #1 and #2 mashbills now, at lest as we might understand these to be?  

Well THAT throws a spanner into the works. 

Im reeling trying to wrap my head around that. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Blanton's has to come from Warehouse H. This acts as a hard ceiling on how much Blanton's there can be. (This obviously can't explain the shortage of other BT#2 products.)

Edited by jsrudd

^^^^^Correct, but I don't think Warehouse H has ever been used solely for storage for Blanton's.  I only bring this up to point out that they could actually increase production (if they wanted to). 

Last time I was in Warehouse H (December), they had a lot of the experimental barrels in there (as they seem to everywhere on the site).  :o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.