Elmer T Lee

mortre
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was able to grab two here a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't last long on the shelf. I've had one of the earthy bottles at a friend's house. Haven't opened any of mine except the one I have on the shelf now and it's solid. 

I've picked up 4 the last few weeks...  3 at $30 & one at $39.  Killed one bottle already with a few friends & it was fine. 

• 4 months later...

In Missouri, Elmer T. Lee is allocated as are most Buffalo Trace premium bourbons.  There is a Spring and a Fall release.  Retail store lists, lotteries and in-store drawings are the only options.  It is NEVER on the shelf.  Usually manage to get 3-5 bottles per year unless I really feel like beating the bushes and doing a lot of driving to participate in store drawings----usually don't.  Besides, there is a lot of really good premium bourbon readily available on the shelf around here.

On 5/13/2016 at 4:37 PM, mortre said:

If you think Elmer's prices are bad, I saw a bottle of Weller Antique the other day for $60 for 750ml.

That's a bargain compared to what I saw.

Screenshot_20161204-164734.png

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:50 PM, Clueby said:

That's a bargain compared to what I saw.

This is gonna break your heart -- the price for OWA 107 in Oregon is $26.95.........

On 12/5/2016 at 8:31 PM, Queball said:

This is gonna break your heart -- the price for OWA 107 in Oregon is $26.95.........

OWA is on the shelves here for $21.99, ETL is $22.99 - nice to have them back in stock!   No sales tax, BTW.   :P

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

OWA is on the shelves here for $21.99, ETL is $22.99 - nice to have them back in stock!   No sales tax, BTW.   :P

Buy, buy, buy!

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

That's a great price on ETL (even before the rest of the world discovered ETL a few years ago, it was typically a few $ higher!)  

6 hours ago, RocAFella1 said:

Buy, buy, buy!

Did, did, did!   :lol:

But did NOT clear the shelf - bad karma, ya' know. Just sayin' . . . . . . . :ph34r:

Nice job there, GeeTen. That's like being transported back 5 years ago (and as mentioned, that price for the ETL is low for even then).  Enjoy, especially with the good karma...

I was out at lunch time and stopped by a store recommended by a fellow SB'er.  They had a bottle of ETL on the shelf with no price tag.  That and a bottle of Blanton's were the only two bottles I saw that didn't have a price clearly marked on the bottle or shelf tag.  Had to ask for the price....$89.99 plus tax ea.  Pass.  I did grab a bottle of EC12ASOB (age stated on back :) ) for $28.99 while there.  They had a bunch of 750s and some 1.75's that were all ASOB.

Heads up northern Chicagoland sippers- binnys lincolnwood had 6 or 7 of ETL on the shelf as of 4pm. 39.99, limit 1.

13 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I was out at lunch time and stopped by a store recommended by a fellow SB'er.  They had a bottle of ETL on the shelf with no price tag.  That and a bottle of Blanton's were the only two bottles I saw that didn't have a price clearly marked on the bottle or shelf tag.  Had to ask for the price....$89.99 plus tax ea.  Pass.  I did grab a bottle of EC12ASOB (age stated on back :) ) for $28.99 while there.  They had a bunch of 750s and some 1.75's that were all ASOB.

I like your ASOB acronym.  From reading the "Worth the wait" message so many times on the back of the new EC bottles, I'm thinking these could be designated as EC?WTW.  :huh:

Like all Buffalo Trace premium bourbons, Elmer T. Lee is allocated in Missouri.  Release is usually twice a year-------usually :)  Retailers handle distribution via lists, lotteries and/or in-store drawings.  It is NEVER on the shelf.  When found, it sells for $39.49 retail.  A one bottle limit is almost always the case.  Flippers are already all over this bourbon and secondary market prices are just plain goofy-----don't pay them!!!!!!  With patience and a well-befriended local retailer, you WILL snag a bottle at retail once in a while----worth the wait, is very good bourbon.  Cheers. 

On December 6, 2016 at 11:04 PM, GeeTen said:

Wowzer, I know the Weller is easier to get here, but I have not seen ETL on the shelves at all. After some searching I managed to snag a bottle out in CT last month. 

On 12/6/2016 at 11:04 PM, GeeTen said:

ETL, one each, in a case behind the counter tonight - $49.99.  I was at a tasting so spent my money "foolishly" on something I liked better.

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

ETL, one each, in a case behind the counter tonight - $49.99.  I was at a tasting so spent my money "foolishly" on something I liked better.

Damn! I remember when Rock Hill Farms was $50, Blanton's was $45, and ETL was $32. It wasn't that long ago.

Tim

Elmer T. Lee has been popping up in the Bay Area recently. 

Unfortunately, a lot of LS are pricing the bottles at secondary market values. 

It it used to be about $35 around here. The least expensive I saw was for $45. 

When it has showed up in my area the last year or two, the price has remained steady at $34.99. I can only venture a guess that the next time it shows up, it will probably be at least $39.99 if not more.

ETL getting dropped off all over VA recently. Seems like every store in my area got at least a case. My store in Blacksburg sold out two cases in six minutes this morning. 

Supposedly VA got around 4K so there should be plenty around. I know in the past my local store has received almost 100 bottles. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, unless things change for the better in the bourbon world, I more than likely just bought my last bottle of ETL. I was out and about on a mission for my wife's family late this afternoon, but had a very abrupt change in plans. I said screw it, and decided to stop at one of my favorite local liquor stores on my way home. I was a bit surprised to see they had two bottles of ETL behind the counter. The last few times this place received ETL, it was priced at a somewhat reasonable (for Illinois) $34.99. It's gone up six dollars to $40.99. I've got a few in the bunker, but again I said screw it. I bought one and left the other behind. FWIW, I opened it as soon as I got home, and I'll probably be putting a big dent in it tonight. :mellow:

Happy New Year!

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.