You only get three!

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We've done this kind of thing before, but it's fun so what the hell! Let's say you must choose 3 standard bottlings to last you the rest of your life. By that I mean: no limited editions, single barrels, or otherwise "special" bottlings. Please limit your choices to only bourbon whiskeys; no rye or Tennessee.

If I had to pick right now I would go with the following:

Weller 12yo

AAA 10yo

Buffalo Trace

These provide a nice cross section of style, as well as a nice price:value ratio. So what would your three be?

No single barrels? ouch! smile.gif

ORVW 15yr 107

WT 8yr 101 (duty free)

Buffalo Trace

Well for what it's worth....

ORVW 107 10/15 yr both are great !

Buffalo Trace This is one of the first light weights I really like (90 proof )

Ezra Brooks 101

Bill g.

Hey Jeff!

At the risk of sounding like a "me too", my three are:

Buffalo Trace

EC12

AAA10yo

I know I know...boring and unoriginal. But they're really tough to beat. I don't have access to the Weller 12yo, thus the EC12 substitution.

Russell's Reserve 10 years old

Evan Williams 7 years old

Old Grandad (BIB if possible)

Gary

Good man , Gary.

While one could be satisfied with a single house( BuffaloTrace) For me to pick 3 and only 3 I'd be certain to pick 3 separate sources. So Certainly Jim Beam , Heaven Hill and someone else would make the list for me. toast.gif

These are the distillery bottlings which I

find most satisfying:

Old Forester 100

Buffalo Trace

Makers Mark

Sorry but I have never indulged in AAA. Is it that good?

My choices would be

Old Rip Van Winkle 15 yo/107 proof

Buffalo Trace

Hirsch 16

If the Hirsch is out (ouch!), I'd go with Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 YO, because Wild Turkey 12 YO is all but gone now, sadly. Cheers, Ed

Thanks Bobby, and Heaven Hill certainly deserves to be included, but even if it didn't I'd have included them anyway. Wouldn't want to offend Bettye Jo. smile.gif

Gary

Well, I would also have chosen the RR if I thought of it as a "standard bottling". I guess I was confused.

So, I would like to change my choices to:

WT Rare Breed

Old Grand Dad 114-proof

Knob Creek

I don't know if these qualify or not.

Tim

I'll go with Weller 12, Jim Beam Black (especially if I can find the older 7yo, 90 proof) and ORVW 10yo (90 or 107, preferably the latter) -- as you can see, I added 'affordable' to my criteria. I like a lot of the other choices made by y'all, but I like these, too.

Hmmm... Even though I haven't had the ORVW 10/107 (sadly I haven't been able to find it around here) I'm going to include it based on my experience with the 12yo Lot 'b'. So that would make my list

WTRR

KC

ORVW 10/107

But I hope in the end I don't ever have to give up my limited editions and single barrels, they outnumber standard bottlings in my collection by a 3-1 margin.

Steve

Well, this is a tough one. So far, I've been buying mostly premiums with the occasional standard bottling when on sale. I'd have to say that of the ones I've tried:

EC12 (just picked up tonight and LOVE it)

ORVW 10/107(90 would substitute for me as well)

Weller 12

I would maybe have mentioned Old Commonwealth but from what I gather here, it's a twin brother to ORVW.

It's a tough call, but here goes:

WT Russell's Reserve, Buffalo Trace and Old Rip 107 or 90. I'm assuming that RR and ORVW aren't special bottlings....

Tommy

Just for clarification, what I meant by "special bottlings" was any bourbon that is different from the mainstream production lines. OFBB for instance would be a special bottling, but RR and KC would be standard bottlings because they are regularly available. I don't think I would consider Hirsch a standard item, due to its limited availability and finite quantities remaining. Fell free to correct or append your lists accordingly wink.gif

Wild Turkey Rare Breed bowdown.gif (Thank you, sir. May I have another?)

Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo/107 proof ( yum.gif mmmm...caramel....)

Knob Creek (aaah, my first love, the one that got me traveling on the road to bourbonia)

But...I have recently purchased my first bottle of Buffalo Trace and am really enjoying it. Not sure yet if I'm enjoying it enough to replace any of the three I listed.

Jeff, I assumed you meant a distillery's standard bottling. Otherwise I would have included

"ORVW 10/90" and "RR" and

kept "OF 100" on my list.

Here's mine .....WT Rare Breed, ORVW 10/107, and since I'd like to include a HH product for variety....EW Master Distillers Select. That would be three different but delicious bourbons.

Randy B.

I'd go with my three most frequent pours recently:

Weller 12 (my "old faithful")

Old Fitz (great value)

Knob Creek (one of Jo's favorites)

While I could easily pick three from BT, I decided to pick one from three different distillers.

As an infrequent poster I always feel like I'm butting in on a private conversation when I reply to one of these threads, but this one seemed too fun to pass up--

Since I'm on a budget and wouldn't know what I was missing once my taste buds adjusted, I'd go middle of the road:

Jim Beam Black

WT 101

VSOFitz (would make my list no matter what the price)

I just saved myself $10,000+/lifetime. Wait till I tell my wife!

Jeff,

I couldn't agree with you more!! Wise choice!!!! If I was to change any of them it would probably be the AAA for VOB 100 proof.

Cheers,

Marvin

I can't get Buffalo Trace here, or it would go on the list. But here's what I can get:

Old Charter 12 year "The Classic"

Old Fitz 1849

Russell's Reserve (if that's allowed) or Old Grand dad 114 if the RR isn't considered sporting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.