What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yeesh, another rainy night in Georgia this evening  means another Braves rain delay.  Which means, the game just started and I'm already a Virgin 101, OWA, and   Eagle Rare in.  Tomorrow looks to be a quick work day, but water for the rest of the evening...:D

Hey what's the story behind the signed bottle of BS WSR on the right? I remember you complaining about no OWA but you have W12?

These are my father-in-law's bottles. He has friends who went to church with Elmer T Lee. They introduced him to the Weller master distiller. I don't have any Weller 12 or OWA. I prefer Very Special Old Fitzgerald, but then again my name should make that to be no surprise. [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just opened a KC SiB Liquor Barn pick (barrel #4621). I asked them for the actual age, but the guys there didn't seem to know. Anyone else try one of these picks from the Wheeling store? 

I love: bonded whiskey, barrel proof, and wheaters.

Somehow this Four Roses yellow label bucks that trend.  I've been enjoying it.  I'm glad I listened to some of the other folks here.

Grandpa Weller 4 Grain straight from the fridge after ballroom dancing all night with the wife.  Yeti holding in the cold very well . . . .   :D

Old Forester single barrel that the total wine here in town got in a couple weeks ago. This is my second pour, still getting to know it. Soft corn up front, with some crisp apples and a banana note at the end. I'm enjoying it so far. 

Edited by Mako254

Spoiler

as much as I've enjoyed SAOS barrel proof bourbons and ryes, I just cannot get into or even enjoy this 11 year 98.4 proof bottle. Sarah, you've finally let me down. Trying to work through it just to get it out of here. I think I'll stick to the higher proof and younger barrel proofer SAOS's

I'm enjoying a large pour of EHTSmB at a hip newish bar that seems to be getting hipper with each minute that passes

A couple pours of OGD BiB tonight for me. It's a good way to end this day.

Sat in the basement watching my Card's get screwed by the umpires in the CWS and decided to drown my sorrows, OK I would have had a pour even if we were ahead, with some EC SmB followed by some 1792 Single Barrel PS from Mammoth Liquors, Packages & More's sister store.

Followed up my EHTSmB with a pour of OWA. Both are good, but I think I prefer the EHT. Also, I think I got 2oz pours of both these, which is pretty rare around here

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Hey what's the story behind the signed bottle of BS WSR on the right? I remember you complaining about no OWA but you have W12?

4 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

These are my father-in-law's bottles. He has friends who went to church with Elmer T Lee. They introduced him to the Weller master distiller. I don't have any Weller 12 or OWA. I prefer Very Special Old Fitzgerald, but then again my name should make that to be no surprise. emoji3.png

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That bottle is signed by Harlan Wheatley. He's the current Master Distiller at Buffalo Trace.

I haven't been drinking much bourbon lately, but I have enjoyed a couple of KC and RR private barrels lately.  I haven't liked the standard WT off-the-shelf stuff for years, but these are very enjoyable.

I got home from work today and decided to give the Schnuck's BIB another go. :unsure: FWIW, I'm really trying hard to work down a few less than stellar bottles I have open. Well, the Schnuck's BIB is still pretty rough, so I though I'd add a splash of Bulleit to it to see if it helped. It did. Much more palatable. If this vatting holds up, I might be able to eventually kill two birds with one stone. ;)

Cheers! Joe

Henry McKenna 10 followed by a generous pour of EH Taylor Single Barrel while watching the Braves game on this warm muggy evening

While watching 1.5 inches of water in the lower level just sit there because of rain amounts not seen since 1986, I had a stiff double of Bourye and Mrs. Madhatter had a double bourbon sidecar made with EC12.  I think I'll learn more about insurance companies than I've ever wanted to.  WML.

OBSK 8 year 9 month. I'm a bit disappointed in this one. I have a 10 year OESF that is one of my favorite pours and a 9year+ OESK that is also incredible. This one is good, but I would rather have the 100 proof OBSV. 

IMG_3970.JPG

Having a glass of EC12 tonight.  I'm down to about a quarter of the bottle left, but I do have a good supply in the bunker.

Buffalo Trace store pick I got in Illinois on a business trip. Got to say one of the best Buffalo Trace bottles I have opened.

IMG_4361.JPG

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

Henry McKenna 10 followed by a generous pour of EH Taylor Single Barrel while watching the Braves game on this warm muggy evening

Right there with ya. First pour tonight is the Henry McKenna 10 yr.  Gotta say, really warming up to HH juice. 

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

OBSK 8 year 9 month. I'm a bit disappointed in this one. I have a 10 year OESF that is one of my favorite pours and a 9year+ OESK that is also incredible. This one is good, but I would rather have the 100 proof OBSV. 

IMG_3970.JPG

That's too bad because the FRSB BPs aren't cheap.  OBSK and OESK are usually among my favorites.  I am not sure I have seen an OBSK that young.  You are early into the bottle.  If it doesn't improve, you can always blend it with the standard SB OBSV.  I have done that before with FRSB BPs that seemed to be a little off on their own.  You end up with a higher proof small batch.

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I got home from work today and decided to give the Schnuck's BIB another go. :unsure: FWIW, I'm really trying hard to work down a few less than stellar bottles I have open. Well, the Schnuck's BIB is still pretty rough, so I though I'd add a splash of Bulleit to it to see if it helped. It did. Much more palatable. If this vatting holds up, I might be able to eventually kill two birds with one stone. ;)

Cheers! Joe

You know it is bad when you have to add Bulleit to improve it.  :lol:

Started with EC18 tonight - keep hoping the bottle would improve after a few months - but its still not that great.  I wouldn't buy another even though I'm a big EC12 fan.  Finish on the 18 is just not doing it for me.

Moved on to CEHTSmB - always tastes great.  Love  this  stuff

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Interesting.  Where did you find the OBSK ?

Everything around town lately has been "F" yeast and well....I'm getting a little tired of it.

I generally really like OBSK.

Air and time definitely make 4R better and better.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.