What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

This is a purchased, opened and most of all....enjoying post.  I mentioned this WTKS (bottled 11/1/06) a while back and ended up passing then.  It's been hanging in my mind and I pulled the trigger today.  I was worried about the excessive sediment floating around in the bottle.  To my relief, the cork is in good shape and the juice isn't tainted.....it's excellent!

I'm not the best with tasting notes, but I did a small SBS with WTRB-03.  I easily prefer this WTKS.  No ethanol on the nose or burn in the finish.  I get the sweet then spicy profile, and there's a nice addition of mild oak that lingers in the finish.  My first pour was au naturale and then I ran the bottle through a coffee filter.  Not sure what that crap was...it's gone now. :lol:

FC583D3D-8DAC-41AF-8911-8E8C574893A9_zps

E52E46E4-6B90-4C2D-9E8F-25E812E71CAC_zps

A380AD2F-424A-453E-8A73-7B7FFD4C70D4_zps

Hmmm....interesting, did you notice a different in enjoyment "au naturale" compared to filtered?  Is this from the store on West 10th?

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

My only guess is that it's made from bits of real turkey.

Well, as long as they were wild, not domesticated...

Poured a glass of ECBP B517 last night and it sat for close to an hour before I had the first sip.

Why? My daughter ordered some new furniture that was delivered but had to be assembled - her first experience with assembly...

Now I've been working on the move all day, installing window blinds, putting my humidor back to the right humidity, unpacking the coolers full of cigar boxes and putting them back in the humidor, loading and unloading small items from the old house back to the new one, and finally picking up the ammo/gun cabinet from the old house that was full and I forgot the keys to. My son and I loaded it into the truck full which had to be an easy 500lbs. I got the chance to explain and show him how leverage can be your friend.

Anyway, about an hour of assembly and teaching while crouched or sitting on the floor was all I could stand.

Back to the bourbon... this is so much better to my palate than the A117 was. Such a mingling of flavor and the proof is muted by all the flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those SAOS bottles on top are begging for a SBS!

Don't worry I'll be back and agreed those are on the top of my list.

12 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

This is a purchased, opened and most of all....enjoying post.  I mentioned this WTKS (bottled 11/1/06) a while back and ended up passing then.  It's been hanging in my mind and I pulled the trigger today.  I was worried about the excessive sediment floating around in the bottle.  To my relief, the cork is in good shape and the juice isn't tainted.....it's excellent!

I'm not the best with tasting notes, but I did a small SBS with WTRB-03.  I easily prefer this WTKS.  No ethanol on the nose or burn in the finish.  I get the sweet then spicy profile, and there's a nice addition of mild oak that lingers in the finish.  My first pour was au naturale and then I ran the bottle through a coffee filter.  Not sure what that crap was...it's gone now. :lol:

FC583D3D-8DAC-41AF-8911-8E8C574893A9_zps

E52E46E4-6B90-4C2D-9E8F-25E812E71CAC_zps

A380AD2F-424A-453E-8A73-7B7FFD4C70D4_zps

Never seen that before.

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Hmmm....interesting, did you notice a different in enjoyment "au naturale" compared to filtered?  Is this from the store on West 10th?

That's the place.  The only difference I noticed was the lack of floaters in my glass.  :lol:

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Cooking some ribs and having a very good pour of Stagg Jr 

IMG_1883.thumb.JPG.145ea65854b37a6973929fd9fa4de167.JPG

Yum!  We had grilled baby back ribs tonight with a little rub and a little BBQ sauce.  Followed up with a pour of Knob Creek.  Stagg Jr. sounds like a nice pour to pair with ribs.  Not sure if the "niceness" of your pour is based on volume, enjoyment or both.  I hope the latter...A nice big pour that you are enjoying!

Took the bottle of ECBP B517 to a neighborhood block party and it was empty pretty quickly. Got back home and had some I left in the glass. Pleasant surprise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot about this bottle in the vault.  It was a dang good revisit.

image.jpeg

36 minutes ago, lrochau said:

Forgot about this bottle in the vault.  It was a dang good revisit.

image.jpeg

Nice choice.  Is that Bobby Hull in the background? 

Starting my day with a little BT bourbon cream in my cappuccino. 

IMG_2984.JPG

Was at Cunningham's Creekside in Louisville last night, enjoying a great fish sandwich and the best onion rings in the Ville.  They have a very limited bourbon selection so I ended up with a pour of Larceny.

5 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Starting my day with a little BT bourbon cream in my cappuccino. 

Man, that made my mouth water -- nice way to start your Sunday!

A lazy afternoon on the patio with my summer time fav, refrigerated HHBIB. 

I've been on the road most of the past week and haven't had much time to post or even read.

To recap the week:

Monday - walked out my front door, down to the seaplane harbor, and flew to Salt Spring Island in BC to see a project site. Client brought a bottle of Buffalo Trace which I sipped on while sitting at a homemade picnic table over lunch while discussing the project. Flew back home, walked up the street to my house. Best commute ever. Not a bad day at the "office".

Tuesday - normal day at work, drank some OWA and 4R OESV after dinner.

Wednesday - flew to Park City UT for a different project. Had some WR on the flight home and then some RRSiB after dinner.

Thursday - flew to Cincinnati to see a sick friend. Again, some WR on the plane. When the flight attendants came back around for the second drink service, I asked for the Woodford and was asked "Do you want two?" Why yes, yes I do. Upon arriving at my in-laws house later that night, I enjoyed a Barrel Bourbon PS with my father-in-law.

Friday - after dinner at my in-laws pub, some EC 8yr Single Barrel PS.

Saturday - flew home so more WR on the plane. Capped the night at home with some KC9yr.

Whew......never had some much Woodford in a week's time before. It tastes really good on a plane.

Went to a friends house for a cookout and he handed me something and said to try it.  Buffalo Trace, Ale 8 and a splash of lemonade.  A tasty summer drink.

55 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Went to a friends house for a cookout and he handed me something and said to try it.  Buffalo Trace, Ale 8 and a splash of lemonade.  A tasty summer drink.

The things I miss most about KY.... Ale-8-1 and Mingua beef jerky 

Russell's Reserve. Frosty.
ada5d4704d62f206cf4643b218a37c15.jpg53f8b746c4db603bec6b0da70e962d73.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 6/28/2017 at 8:52 PM, Hop said:

[some stuff and posted some pics showing bourbon at risk, all of which I deleted as repeated exposure may cause heart failure in readers.]

Uh, my experience with shelving (gathered as part of my wife's 46+ years of educating me) prompts me to suggest "Elfa Shelving" from Container Store.  The trade-off in my case was: shelves for shoes, sweaters, hanging shirts & skirts for her and utility room shelves for her with the utility ones higher than she could reach being just for ME.  And, even I was capable of installing them.:rolleyes:

EDIT - Tonight I am sipping on a 4R SP but I have no idea which one.  It's on an upper shelf in the utility room, and I just poured some in a glass and put the bottle back - just felt like 4R tonight.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
oh, yeah, the thread . . .

Another lazy day on the patio, eating fresh raspberries and black berries for lunch, braising beef for poutine,  and sucking down some refrigerated HHBIB. DAMN, life is good.

3 hours ago, Phil T said:

Another lazy day on the patio, eating fresh raspberries and black berries for lunch, braising beef for poutine,  and sucking down some refrigerated HHBIB. DAMN, life is good.

Now that is living right. It finally is hot enough here for refrigerated HH6BIB. I'm going to follow your lead.

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

Now that is living right. It finally is hot enough here for refrigerated HH6BIB. I'm going to follow your lead.

Steve, you are wise beyond your years. Enjoy my friend!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.