Jump to content
cdcdguy

Best Value Everyday Bourbon

Recommended Posts

cdcdguy   
cdcdguy

Hi everyone. Been soaking up great info here, and now a first time poster. Not new to bourbon. The wife and I started doing the bourbon trail in pieces about 5 years ago and really enjoying it. I own only a few what I would call expensive bottles, all at retail price. Blantons, OF 1920 and a Pappy 15. However, almost everything else I buy is in the 20 dollar range. I get really excited when I find something good for even a bit less. So value to me means 20 dollars give or take. Suggestions? 

 

Couple of questions. I have got to get back to Kentucky to try it, but what is with the absolute love for HHBB6? I read glowing reviews on it. How much is it? What is so great about it?

 

Second question. We have been buying regular Old Bardstown bourbon, 90 proof. Not single barrel, or estate or bonded or whatever else they have. I have a few older bottles from a couple of years ago. It's pretty good for the price which was 17.00. New stock just arrived at my store and the label is different. Still 90 proof, price 19.00. From research I found out Willet just started making there own stuff in 2012. Could this be theirs now and the older stuff was sourced over the years?  Curious, I bought a bottle and compared it to an unopened older bottle I have. It's different for sure. The new is much brighter, smoother, and seems higher quality. For 19.00? I went back and got 6! Anyone have anymore info on this? 

 

Thank you for letting me talk to you all! Will be nice chatting with others about love for bourbon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon

Some suggestions on some $20ish bottles.  Old Grandad BIB or if you want to spend a few more $ Old Grandad 114; Old Fitzgerald BIB; Larceny (just over $20).  There are a number of ones in the $25 - $30 range that are well worth the money (Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Four Roses Small Batch).

 

The Willet was sourced but I'm not sure that the reason for a price increase is attributable to the fact that the juice in the bottle might be theirs now.  More likely just a standard price increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie   
JCwhammie

My two under $20 are Wild Turkey 101 and EVan Williams Bottled in Bond. For $20-$25 I can get Four Roses Small Batch, Larceny, and Rittenhouse Rye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdcdguy   
cdcdguy
1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Some suggestions on some $20ish bottles.  Old Grandad BIB or if you want to spend a few more $ Old Grandad 114; Old Fitzgerald BIB; Larceny (just over $20).  There are a number of ones in the $25 - $30 range that are well worth the money (Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Four Roses Small Batch).

 

The Willet was sourced but I'm not sure that the reason for a price increase is attributable to the fact that the juice in the bottle might be theirs now.  More likely just a standard price increase.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am just getting into BIB and have the JB which is pretty good. I lean a bit more towards a non high rye mash bill, so not sure I would like any OGD. Should try the Old Fitz though. Also I didn't mean to come off complaining about the slight price increase on Old Bardstown. That 17.00 was 2 to 3 years ago. Things go up! The new 19.00 is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdcdguy   
cdcdguy
33 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

My two under $20 are Wild Turkey 101 and EVan Williams Bottled in Bond. For $20-$25 I can get Four Roses Small Batch, Larceny, and Rittenhouse Rye. 

Have not seen Four Rose  small batch here, but the others I have seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

Not sure how much they run for in your area but Henry Mckenna 10 yr BIB and Ezra Brooks 7 101 are the clearest standouts in that price range to me aside from the others mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon   
CardsandBourbon
1 hour ago, cdcdguy said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am just getting into BIB and have the JB which is pretty good. I lean a bit more towards a non high rye mash bill, so not sure I would like any OGD. Should try the Old Fitz though. Also I didn't mean to come off complaining about the slight price increase on Old Bardstown. That 17.00 was 2 to 3 years ago. Things go up! The new 19.00 is worth it.

 

Didn't see you as complaining, just questioning the increase.  If you lean towards those with a non high rye mash bill, like the Old Fitz, I would definitely try the Larceny.  It's Heaven Hill's wheated bourbon, 92 proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcbt   
dcbt

Besides the ones mentioned already, I'd add plain ole Buffalo Trace for $20-22 as a good option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rkice14   
Rkice14

I'm interested is the post as well, it seems the OP and I have the same habit of staying in the $20.00 range. I bought a bottle of Four Roses yellow label the other day (never tried it before), while it was a tad bit above the $20.00 mark I enjoyed it.

 

I did find a little hole in the wall that seems to be able to keep W.L.Weller Special Reserve on hand, I really enjoy it at the 16.99 retail price.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby   
Clueby

I bought a bottle of the new tan label Willett-distilled Old Bardstown around 6 months ago. I thought it was the worst $20 I've ever spent on bourbon. Young, harsh, and grainy. Was a chore to drink neat. I made eggnog with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KrispinD   
KrispinD
I'm interested is the post as well, it seems the OP and I have the same habit of staying in the $20.00 range. I bought a bottle of Four Roses yellow label the other day (never tried it before), while it was a tad bit above the $20.00 mark I enjoyed it.
 
I did find a little hole in the wall that seems to be able to keep W.L.Weller Special Reserve on hand, I really enjoy it at the 16.99 retail price.

 

If you like WSR see if they can get Weller Antique for you. Same stuff - little older (I think) and bottles at 107 instead of 90 proof for just a few bucks more.

Seconding the WT101, OGD Bonded and 114, and Larceny as solid lower-price bottles. I have a HH BiB 6 on the way - they only sell it in KY - supposed to be good and shelf price is $11!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DCFan   
DCFan
6 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

So value to me means 20 dollars give or take. Suggestions? 

 

I'm not sure what the liquor laws are in Indiana but I'd check Costco or Sams if you're looking for value priced liquors. And from what I've read from others it seems that the Krogers in Indiana have some terrific sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley   
RWBadley

I think you did the right thing to go back and get 6 of the one you liked at 19$ Good deal!

 

JB black (8) is a pretty solid go-to at 19$ I did like it better before it went nas... but it's still pretty good.

 

Knob Creek in our area has been around 24$ on sale. I did like it better before it went nas... but it's still pretty good

 

EC 12 is priced a little higher at 26$. I did like it better before it went nas... but it's still... waaaait a minute- there seems to be a pattern here.

 

Try a few in your price range desired. Compare them and see what makes sense. Your pallet ( dang, now I don't know I didn't speel it right)   Then get an extra one or two if you can, for backup...

 

Cheers,

RW

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake   
EarthQuake

Ancient Age is decent for under $20. Standard Buffalo Trace is good for $25, and Eagle Rare is fantastic for about $30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
b1gcountry   
b1gcountry

Jim Beam double oak is fairly unique at $17.

The EW white and black are very good for the price, and the black is dirt cheap

JW Dant and HH6 for the bibs if you can find them.

The HH6 is mostly because it is a good deal. It is good quality, at a decent age and a somewhat robust and complex flavor for $11. If it was $25 it would still be popular, but wouldn't be such a bargain.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
b1gcountry   
b1gcountry

I think of the HH6 as HMCK10'S little brother

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i   
mbroo5880i
Posted (edited)

There are some decent options in Fort Wayne.  Belmont Beverages prices are pretty good.  I shop the store by Parkview.  Cap and Cork is also a good store.  The store on Coldwater always has open bottles to try.  Both also have regular tastings so you can try things.  If you want to opt for things like Makers Mark, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Larceny, then your best prices will probably be at Meijer or Kroger. The Meijer by the Jefferson Pointe Mall (Illinois Road) has a pretty good selection.

 

Blantons, OF 1920 and PVW15 are a different tier than thinkgs like Larceny.  If you expand your "value" range to $25, you open up a lot of additional options and IMHO better options than what you will find for under $20.  

Edited by mbroo5880i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond   
BottledInBond

Add Very Old Barton Bottled In Bond to the list if it's available in your area.

 

Also, for a value pour the Four Roses yellow label is just fine, if the Small Batch isn't available or is above your price range locally

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdcdguy   
cdcdguy
2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

There are some decent options in Fort Wayne.  Belmont Beverages prices are pretty good.  I shop the store by Parkview.  Cap and Cork is also a good store.  The store on Coldwater always has open bottles to try.  Both also have regular tastings so you can try things.  If you want to opt for things like Makers Mark, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Larceny, then your best prices will probably be at Meijer or Kroger. The Meijer by the Jefferson Pointe Mall (Illinois Road) has a pretty good selection.

 

Blantons, OF 1920 and PVW15 are a different tier than thinkgs like Larceny.  If you expand your "value" range to $25, you open up a lot of additional options and IMHO better options than what you will find for under $20.  

There are some pretty good options here. Especially in fall I can find good things . Are you in Indy? We are going to Market District or market place, forget, but it's in Carmel. What should I look for there ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NDN98   
NDN98

In that price range, I would go with Buffalo Trace, Larceny, or Weller Special Reserve.

 

I would actually probably spend the extra $5 and get Eagle Rare 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher   
musekatcher
Posted (edited)

This is a tough subject, trying to define a common threshold for price-to-quality-to-minimum acceptable.  The only way I've been able to approach it, is within price brackets, like "best bourbon under $15", then "best bourbon under $20", and so on.  It falls apart, when someone's budget is less important than others.  For instance, some folks wouldn't think of offering guests a lowly $20 bourbon.  Yet, there are $15 bourbons out there that will compare in blind fold tests with $30 bourbons, and so on.  And then there's even debate within the price brackets, such as an $11 versus a $15 bourbon, where one group will say "for 30% cheaper, A is so close to B, A is the better deal", while others will say "at only $4 more, you get a better bourbon with B".    Here's a thread attempt at the best lowest end of acceptable bourbon, that fizzled as a result:

 

All the nebula associated with this subject makes for good conversation [over a dram or two], and guaranteed to keep us entertained for the duration.

 

 

 

Edited by musekatcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rkice14   
Rkice14
15 hours ago, KrispinD said:


If you like WSR see if they can get Weller Antique for you. Same stuff - little older (I think) and bottles at 107 instead of 90 proof for just a few bucks more.

Seconding the WT101, OGD Bonded and 114, and Larceny as solid lower-price bottles. I have a HH BiB 6 on the way - they only sell it in KY - supposed to be good and shelf price is $11!!

That is the goal, the guy behind the counter tells me they occasionally get it in. I'm hoping to get a bottle one of these days. 

Believe it or not I cant seem to find OGD Bonded. Just about everything posted in this thread is in the $30.00 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp   
JoeTerp
13 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

There are some pretty good options here. Especially in fall I can find good things . Are you in Indy? We are going to Market District or market place, forget, but it's in Carmel. What should I look for there ?

I really like the Crown store in Carmel. I usually stop by there when visiting family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i   
mbroo5880i
13 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

There are some pretty good options here. Especially in fall I can find good things . Are you in Indy? We are going to Market District or market place, forget, but it's in Carmel. What should I look for there ?

 

Market District.  They have a pretty solid selection.  They offer 15% off when you buy 6 bottles of spirits or wine.  With 15% off, you will find Larceny, EC, etc. in the low $20s.  I believe this week's special is MM for around $19, with 15% off.  They had Old Ezra 7 year for around $20.  There is a Meijer and Crown just a few exists north that have great selections.  If you venture east of Market District, the Vine & Table usually has a really good selection of BIBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdcdguy   
cdcdguy
10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

 

Market District.  They have a pretty solid selection.  They offer 15% off when you buy 6 bottles of spirits or wine.  With 15% off, you will find Larceny, EC, etc. in the low $20s.  I believe this week's special is MM for around $19, with 15% off.  They had Old Ezra 7 year for around $20.  There is a Meijer and Crown just a few exists north that have great selections.  If you venture east of Market District, the Vine & Table usually has a really good selection of BIBs.

Thanks! We will be down there Saturday. Have been to Vine and Table too. Anyone who likes scotch would love his selection. Whatever happened to Spring Mill bourbon out of Indiana? It was out and great a couple years ago then gone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×