4R: it's a start (of a new obsession)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got 7 on hand. 

Astor has a OBSK but it is more than I want to pay $85

beast master has a barrel proof OBSV in the works. 

If anyone has a lead on E k and B K (that isn't $85) I'm all ears. 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Silver, 

the obsv is the standard 100 proof and is a strong showing. Normally the FRsb is NAS. Talking to a rep at a whiskey fair, he said target for single barrel 100 proof was 7.5-8.5 years. 

OESK looks like the elusive one right now. 

Oh, that's a standard single barrel at 100 proof, not cask strength. That makes sense. Glad you like it!

• I like it 1

The OESQ is only 8 yr 1 month. On the young side for a cask strength. I'll open her up some time soon. 

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I've got 7 on hand. 

Astor has a OBSK but it is more than I want to pay $85

beast master has a barrel proof OBSV in the works. 

If anyone has a lead on E k and B K (that isn't $85) I'm all ears. 

One of my local LS has a 9yr 1mo 57.6% OESK PS. It's a long way from you though. If they still have any left, the price was around $58. It's very good... I picked up 3 or 4.

• I like it 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:18 PM, Mako254 said:

Slowly but surely. 

IMG_3270.JPG

There is another store in Atlanta not far from DPS with an OESK PS that is still in stock (but going fast) and an excellent bourbon in my opinion. If you are interested let me know.

20 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

There is another store in Atlanta not far from DPS with an OESK PS that is still in stock (but going fast) and an excellent bourbon in my opinion. If you are interested let me know.

That's a really good pick, too. @Mako254, I highly recommend grabbing the bottle Bruce is referring to if you have an opportunity.

8 and 9. Thanks to a bourbonian of the year, I have a heads up on 10. My brother supposed to snag it friday. 

IMG_3327.JPG

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

8 and 9. Thanks to a bourbonian of the year, I have a heads up on 10. My brother supposed to snag it friday. 

IMG_3327.JPG

I'm at 7 myself, let me know how that OESK is it's one of the one's I'm missing, pretty sure the place you got those from can get me to 10 I just haven't had a chance to get down there!

• I like it 1

Mako, 

whats your favorite recipe? I have my eyes on an OBSF and an OBSV. I think these will be there for a while, so I’m not in a huge hurry. 

I have a bottle of OBSK that’s a pretty big disappointment. I opened it in mid June. I hoped it would develop over time, but it’s just thin and low on flavor. After reading others’ thoughts on OBSK I’m sure this is just a boring barrel.  

8 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Mako, 

whats your favorite recipe? I have my eyes on an OBSF and an OBSV. I think these will be there for a while, so I’m not in a huge hurry. 

I have a bottle of OBSK that’s a pretty big disappointment. I opened it in mid June. I hoped it would develop over time, but it’s just thin and low on flavor. After reading others’ thoughts on OBSK I’m sure this is just a boring barrel.  

That's funny.

My first and only bottle of OBSK is one of my absolute 4R favorites of all time.  I've had a few other samples, and none have come close... so I don't trade OBSK samples anymore.  :)

8 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Mako, 

In general the F yeast has been my least favorite, and I think OBSK has been my favorite to date, but I've had bottles that I've really liked all around the recipes.  If you're just going to get one I would probably take the older one.

9 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

In general the F yeast has been my least favorite, and I think OBSK has been my favorite to date, but I've had bottles that I've really liked all around the recipes.  If you're just going to get one I would probably take the older one.

The least enjoyable of mine is a 11+ year OBSQ, I have had younger OBSQ's I've liked way more. It's not bad, but I'm not sure I would go with age as a decision maker unless I knew I liked more or less oak. Since I typically prefer my bourbon 10 yrs and younger that's where I try to stay with 4R SBBP. 

23 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Mako, 

I have an OBSO that I really really like right now. OESF (thanks texanbrad) that I really like as well. I haven't tried all of them yet. 

Not in my hands yet but my brother picked up the one I needed. OBSV. I'll pick it up in Jacksonville a couple weeks at the cocktail party. 10/10. 

Now, gotta work on duplicates

IMG_3348.JPG

• I like it 1

On 10/14/2017 at 10:49 AM, kevinbrink said:

The least enjoyable of mine is a 11+ year OBSQ, I have had younger OBSQ's I've liked way more. It's not bad, but I'm not sure I would go with age as a decision maker unless I knew I liked more or less oak. Since I typically prefer my bourbon 10 yrs and younger that's where I try to stay with 4R SBBP. 

Yeah that's definitely an oversimplification.  I have found that I tend to enjoy the ones around 10 years or so more than the younger 8-9 year ones, but that could be more than just age too.

I think my current preference would be K, V, O, Q, and F in that order, but it's certainly subject to change.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Yeah that's definitely an oversimplification.  I have found that I tend to enjoy the ones around 10 years or so more than the younger 8-9 year ones, but that could be more than just age too.

I think my current preference would be K, V, O, Q, and F in that order, but it's certainly subject to change.

I think the other thing about some of the older age statement bottles is that they were bottled a few years ago for the most part before demand was as high as it is now so they might just be the result of more good aged bourbon being available at the time.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

4th of July weekend I picked up an OBSF store pick in Braselton Ga. Liked it a lot. Did some digging here on SB and other sites. Learned more about the 10 recipe thing. Set a goal. All 10 are now in my possession (soon to be bunkered upon return home). Thanks to all who have helped and responded to this thread and reached out via PM. I have several duplicates but I have at least one uncorked bottle of each recipe. 

3113EB99-AC6E-4BC6-AAC5-03952D027644.jpeg

Edited by Mako254
Forgot to add picture.
  • I like it 2

Im new to the bottlings outside the standards, got this and absolutely love it. Heavy on tobacco leather and molasses. That in mind, anyone want to point me in a direction on what recipe to chase down next? I'd particularly love reasoning behind why you recommend what you do.

4r.jpg

I prefer O, V, and K yeast. I’ve had 3 or so bottles of OBSO that I really really like. OESV is another. If you like OBSF, you’ll be hooked on the others. 

On 7/5/2017 at 11:36 PM, flahute said:

Just dive in. Be spontaneous about it. Your preferences will reveal themselves over time.

Here's the thing you need to know about the 10 recipes: some of those yeasts when combined with the two mashbills are just odd. This is not criticism by the way. Just saying that they are very different from what you expect bourbon to taste like if your barometer consists of what the other major producers are making.

My first 4R PS was OESK. I thought it was downright weird when I first opened it. Wasn't until 1/3 of the way through the bottle that I started to "get it". My next one was OBSK. Was taken aback by the high rye component of the mashbill at first. It's now become my favorite. 

So crack them open, give them a whirl, and give yourself plenty of time to adjust if you are not digging them at first. I thought 4R just wasn't for me when I first tried it. I'm now a standard bearer for the cult.

I had a similar impression with OBSK, which was my first. The first glass I had was like: this stuff is really weird, good, but weird. Is this even bourbon? It drank more like a rye. After about halfway through the bottle I came to terms with it and by the end of the bottle I was really sad to see it go. Tried to get another of the same batch but the store I bought it from had sold out. If the weird combinations are as good as this I'm really excited to try more.

My second is an OESF, which to me is much more in the realm of traditional bourbon flavor profiles. It's great as well.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I prefer O, V, and K yeast. I’ve had 3 or so bottles of OBSO that I really really like. OESV is another. If you like OBSF, you’ll be hooked on the others. 

I'm similar here as my general favorites have been K, V, and O, but I've had Q's and F's I've liked as well.  Honestly I'd get whatever you could find around you at a reasonable price.  But if you have multiple options my preference would be for a ~10 year OBSK.

• I like it 2

anyone know of stores that ship that have a great selection of choices? I'd love to explore some more. Stores near me have them at near 100 a bottle or very young (barely 8 years).

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

anyone know of stores that ship that have a great selection of choices? I'd love to explore some more. Stores near me have them at near 100 a bottle or very young (barely 8 years).

Check this link: https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/four+roses+prvt+select+single+barrel+strength+straight+bourbon+whisky+kentucky+usa/1/usa

Some of these are regular 100 proof single barrel so you'll need to double check, but a number of these retailers ship. Most sites will let you add to cart which will tell you if they will ship to your zip code or not. I find that NY stores almost never ship to me. The cheapest I found was the OESF 10 year from Knightsbridge, which I've purchased and found quite enjoyable. It seems that most stores that ship to me charge $80 and up though. 

Bounty Hunter has 10 or 11 different barrels, a bit pricey at $85 though. I haven't used this site but I emailed them the other day to see if they ship (it's not clear from their cart system), and they said yes. If you're looking to pick up a bunch of bottles the $85 cost is probably offset by what you would save in shipping.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.