4R: it's a start (of a new obsession)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 recipes, 10 bottles (plus some duplicates). Thanks for the help fellas. Now to drink em all :)

A033B98C-A834-46CC-8036-03FCE2C01293.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 24/11/2017 at 12:26 PM, jshleffar said:

Im new to the bottlings outside the standards, got this and absolutely love it. Heavy on tobacco leather and molasses. That in mind, anyone want to point me in a direction on what recipe to chase down next? I'd particularly love reasoning behind why you recommend what you do.

4r.jpg

I have that very bottle - really looking forward to opening it.

3 minutes ago, Guardian Enzo said:

I have that very bottle - really looking forward to opening it.

I got another one while working on my very first pour, it's a bit challenging in that it's not a smooth, easy drink but it's fantastic.

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

10 recipes, 10 bottles (plus some duplicates). Thanks for the help fellas. Now to drink em all :)

That's a thing of beauty (especially with that Al Young keeping the peace between the B's and E's).

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Mako254 said:

A033B98C-A834-46CC-8036-03FCE2C01293.jpeg

That's a sharp display!

• I like it 1

Thanks for pointing me in the right directions, grabbed a 9.25 year OESQ, 9 year OESK, 9.75 year OESF today... Ordering all 9 others I didnt have wouldve led to the GF ending me.

• I like it 3

On 7/5/2017 at 4:43 PM, Mako254 said:

I'm sure many others have done it before me many times over. 

3 down, 7 to go. 

IMG_2353.JPG

I'm still pretty new to bourbon and have tried a lot of bottles w/ out really having a plan or strategy to figure out what I like. A 100 proof four roses single barrel was the first bourbon that really made me say 'so this is whay people are talking about'. A OESF pour at a friends confirmed it for me. Can't wait to try the different mash bills. 

I've got that exact same bottle of OBSF and so far am not overly impressed with it. My only other 4R PS is OESK at 9 y 10 m and it is outstanding. Probably just my palate.

3 hours ago, ondarocks said:

I've got that exact same bottle of OBSF and so far am not overly impressed with it. My only other 4R PS is OESK at 9 y 10 m and it is outstanding. Probably just my palate.

F  yeast can be off sometimes. I bought a bottle fourth of july and another at thanksgiving from the same shop. It isn’t exactly flying off the shelves. 

19 hours ago, Mako254 said:

F  yeast can be off sometimes. I bought a bottle fourth of july and another at thanksgiving from the same shop. It isn’t exactly flying off the shelves. 

We might have passed in the parking lot. I bought my bottle on 11/25 from Cork & Keg in Braselton. How is that OBSQ?

I'm new to the 4R SB PS the only one I have is a 10yr OBSV the standard recipe and think it's fantastic. What's the consensus on this recipe?

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I'm new to the 4R SB PS the only one I have is a 10yr OBSV the standard recipe and think it's fantastic. What's the consensus on this recipe?

Well, the standard off-the-shelf FRSB is very highly regarded generally, and definitely one of my favorites and staples.  And I have a close-to-10 year old OBSV PS that is fantastic as well.  So IMHO, you started off on the right foot with the OBSV PS, and I am not surprised you love it. 

This is purely my opinion, but while there are terrific examples out there of all of the recipes, my "safest" bet for a good FRPS is the V and K yeasts.  I have not had a bad OBSV, OESV, OBSK or OESK.

• I like it 1

Well, the standard off-the-shelf FRSB is very highly regarded generally, and definitely one of my favorites and staples.  And I have a close-to-10 year old OBSV PS that is fantastic as well.  So IMHO, you started off on the right foot with the OBSV PS, and I am not surprised you love it. 

This is purely my opinion, but while there are terrific examples out there of all of the recipes, my "safest" bet for a good FRPS is the V and K yeasts.  I have not had a bad OBSV, OESV, OBSK or OESK.

Good info here, thanks for the reply.

Thanks to those of you that helped point me towards some well priced offerings, I'd gladly share with you all if you were nearby!

mour roses.jpg

• I like it 2

On 11/30/2017 at 11:31 AM, ondarocks said:

We might have passed in the parking lot. I bought my bottle on 11/25 from Cork & Keg in Braselton. How is that OBSQ?

Haven’t had it in a while. I’ll make a run at it later in the week. 

Found these in Indy for 54.00 each. Can anyone share experiences and tastes with these recipes?? Should I do it?? I am looking to get some FR barrel proofs. 

FRBP.jpg.62fb1363276501b5b1f0a244d7594f48.jpg

10 hours ago, Dango said:

Found these in Indy for 54.00 each. Can anyone share experiences and tastes with these recipes?? Should I do it?? I am looking to get some FR barrel proofs. 

That is probably a good question to ask.  Four Roses must have really eaten into their barrel stock.  As recently as one year ago, those two recipes could be easily found with label ages two years older.  You could ask at the main store to see if they have samples open to taste.

11 hours ago, Dango said:

At $54 I think any FRSBPS is an instant buy.

• I like it 1

I'll second that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yep! Great price in today’s market. 

On 12/6/2017 at 11:02 PM, Dango said:

I've had some really good Four Roses picks from Crown.  The F and Q are probably my least favorite yeasts, but I think that just means that I've found wider variances in their recipes (and Crown had a 10 year OESQ that I really loved).  Either way that price is fantastic for a 4RPS.  Enjoy

I know is sacrilege, but I’ve never cared for Four Roses bourbon - the one exception was the very first bourbon I ever purchased, the FRLESB 2015 - now that was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/30/2017 at 12:02 PM, HoustonNit said:

According to Jim Rutledge OBSV was the most consistent recipe and that made it the choice for the standard 100p SB. That said I have experienced pretty decent variation among the store pick 100p SBs that used to be available just about everywhere. Some sweeter, some drier, some with a kind of earthy mineral thing going on others with a nice hint of chocolate, those are my favorites. The store select program shut down for awhile so now the bunker has a pretty even split between PS and “factory” 100p OBSVs. As the years pass and i make withdrawls from the bunker that list of impressions is sure to widen. OBSV is a good recipe and the BS version that set the OBSV bar for me had a very strong chocolate fudge note, it was one of the best bourbons I have ever had and I will forever measure all OBSVs by their “chocolatyness”. Others I am sure will have different impressions of OBSV they will run from OK to good to great, mostly good to great. Then there is the fun of exploring the other 9 recipes...

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.