4R: it's a start (of a new obsession)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up another. A duplicate. Going to have to keep a list on my phone. 

IMG_2641.JPG

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Nice age on it too

Relatively low ABV at abt 53%

I had it after I had a pour of ECBP, so still getting to know this bottle. 

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Relatively low ABV at abt 53%

I had it after I had a pour of ECBP, so still getting to know this bottle. 

I've really enjoyed some low ABV barrel proofers (I think I had an OBSK that was around 105 and 10 years that was sensational). 

• 5 weeks later...

A 4R PS OESK was what got me into bourbon in the first place.  There are a few shops where I am that have a LOT of 4R PS and multiple recipes.  I want to add some more of them to my collection.

I've also become bitten by the desire to try all 10 of the recipes. I've got bottles from four PS barrels now: OBSV, OBSO, OESF and OESK. They are all good, but I've only spent any significant time with the OBSV and OESK. They are both good, and I've bought more than one bottle of both, but the OESK is really wonderful so I've bought several more bottles.

Is anyone aware if there is a way that 4R can provide information on any PS barrels bought by liquor stores in a certain area? Having that information would certainly make it easier to search for additional recipes than just random searching. 

On 9/7/2017 at 1:43 AM, lcpfratn said:

Is anyone aware if there is a way that 4R can provide information on any PS barrels bought by liquor stores in a certain area? Having that information would certainly make it easier to search for additional recipes than just random searching. 

I think you can contact Four Roses and ask them about this. I seem to recall that people have done this for certain cities and gotten a list of places with PS barrels.

On 9/7/2017 at 1:43 AM, lcpfratn said:

I've also become bitten by the desire to try all 10 of the recipes. I've got bottles from four PS barrels now: OBSV, OBSO, OESF and OESK. They are all good, but I've only spent any significant time with the OBSV and OESK. They are both good, and I've bought more than one bottle of both, but the OESK is really wonderful so I've bought several more bottles.

Check your messages amigo. 

12 hours ago, silverc said:

I think you can contact Four Roses and ask them about this. I seem to recall that people have done this for certain cities and gotten a list of places with PS barrels.

I got a list from them of ga and sc barrels but no phone numbers so it is a bit of a project. 

On 9/10/2017 at 0:10 PM, Mako254 said:

I got a list from them of ga and sc barrels but no phone numbers so it is a bit of a project. 

Google is your friend. ;)

I went ahead sent an email, this should be interesting.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:33 PM, beasled said:

I'm on 8 out of 10 at the moment. Hoping to complete the 10 with a US trip later this year. 

9 out of 10 now... just an OBSO to find. 

1 hour ago, beasled said:

9 out of 10 now... just an OBSO to find. 

I'm impressed you've tracked down 9/10. Just a heads-up that FR may not be releasing any OBSO for private selection for a while. When I was there in May, the PS Manager told us that they won't have any more OBSO barrels available until 2020. It seems like folks here have been buying/drinking OBSOs, though, so there are still some out there for the time being. Not sure where you're heading in the US but I'm guessing someone here would be happy to hold a bottle for you if you're going to be in their area (including me if you're coming to San Francisco).

35 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'm impressed you've tracked down 9/10. Just a heads-up that FR may not be releasing any OBSO for private selection for a while. When I was there in May, the PS Manager told us that they won't have any more OBSO barrels available until 2020. It seems like folks here have been buying/drinking OBSOs, though, so there are still some out there for the time being. Not sure where you're heading in the US but I'm guessing someone here would be happy to hold a bottle for you if you're going to be in their area (including me if you're coming to San Francisco).

I was hoping the OBSO would be an easy one but hey I like a challenge..

I'm off to NYC end of November, have a buddy there who is happy to be shipped to if anything comes up, I am doing some digging in the meantime. Thanks for the holding offer!

21 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Beasled,

check your messages. 

On it!

4 hours ago, beasled said:

I was hoping the OBSO would be an easy one but hey I like a challenge..

I'm off to NYC end of November, have a buddy there who is happy to be shipped to if anything comes up, I am doing some digging in the meantime. Thanks for the holding offer!

On it!

Well I work in NYC and I'm pretty sure I know where to find an OBSO if that's of help to you

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Well I work in NYC and I'm pretty sure I know where to find an OBSO if that's of help to you

It is very much so! 

• 2 weeks later...

On that note, it would be super interesting to have people post their thoughts/reviews of SPs together with all the warehouse info in a more structured manner, so that we could catalog them, and just maybe if we have enough data points I can run some statistics and plot some trends and such!

EDIT: This was meant to go to the other 4R 10 recipes thread, but oh well, not too far off.

Edited by Kane

On 10/5/2017 at 2:18 PM, Mako254 said:

Slowly but surely. 

IMG_3270.JPG

Is that Decatur OBSV really 7 years, 9 months? That's the first time I've seen one less than 8 years. Good grief, they really are pulling these barrels really young now. I hope it's good. But I also hope 7 year old stuff doesn't start becoming the norm, replacing the 9 and 10 yr ones you can still find.

Let us know how it tastes if you get a chance to crack it open. I know age isn't everything, so it may be quite good.

Also if you need any help finding some missing recipes, send me a PM and I may be able to track some down for you.

Edited by silverc
  • I like it 1

Silver, 

the obsv is the standard 100 proof and is a strong showing. Normally the FRsb is NAS. Talking to a rep at a whiskey fair, he said target for single barrel 100 proof was 7.5-8.5 years. 

OESK looks like the elusive one right now. 

10 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Silver, 

the obsv is the standard 100 proof and is a strong showing. Normally the FRsb is NAS. Talking to a rep at a whiskey fair, he said target for single barrel 100 proof was 7.5-8.5 years. 

OESK looks like the elusive one right now. 

IMHO - The OESK is worth the hunt.  Love that stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.