beer

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the links and thouhts. I visited the Bklyn Breweries page yesterday and was shocked to see it is only a few blocks from where I grew up in Brooklyn! I never even knew it was there, though I moved from Brooklyn when I was around 12. Me and the wife are planning on going there some Saturday since they have free tastings and tours 12-5. Maybe then I can find out more about variety packs they may have available and hell, during the tasting afterwards see if their brew is even any good! lol.gif

I'll post how things are after I visit the brewery! toast.gif

Thanks guys, that was one thing I was confused about. I was so shocked that I like a Pale Ale but not an India Pale Ale from the same brewery. Now I see they are totally different things.

After LOVING that Belgian white ale, and even a hefeweizen, I think I like wheated beer... Makes sense since I like wheated bourbon as well! lol.gif I'll still try another IPA from another brewery but I have a feeling the results will be the same considering the hopped to hell aspects of IPA's.

I had a Goose Island IPA last night. I had not given it much thought before, but now that you mention it, it has a very "grapefruity" taste to it.

Is Keith's IPA the one from Halifax? I visited the brewery once (weirdest 'tour' ever). What they call an IPA tastes pretty much like a standard pils.

Yes, brewed in the Maritimes. Not a pils: it has a fruity, top-fermented, flowery hop taste. It is "one" version of IPA, brewed since the mid-1850's at least, so I accord it a certain authenticity. Check out Fuller's and Marston's IPA's, they are not that much different than Keith's.

Gary

Judging from the interest in this thread, I think many of you will enjoy the brewery essays posted by the Deschutes Brewery, of Bend, Oregon. Essays This diagram of the brewing process is pretty sharp, too. Diagram

I am a big fan of their Obsidian Stout and I can hardly wait to try the Pine Mountain Pils that they produce in small quantities for distribution each summer. Brews Their products are only distributed in Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Northern California, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, and Wyoming, but are not to be missed when in that part of the country.

post-207-14489811389575_thumb.jpg

Mark,

I've been to the brewery a few times, and its great to try the beers on site. The price is definitely great! They usually have a block party during the summer, which is also pretty cool. I like quite a few of their products, and one of the things that I like the best is that their beers are made locally and are fresh. To the best of my knowledge, they don't offer a "variety pack".

Bob

Glad to see someone enjoys my regular domestic draft, Amber Bock. I can't drink Bud, Bud Light, etc. anymore unless I'm totally parched and there is nothing else to drink. Being ground zero for AB here in St Louis, most bars and restaurants have Amber Bock on tap but most won't try it because of the color. Everyone here sees dark and assumes it to be a strong, bitter beer. Oh, well, I guess that means just more for me. drink.gif I like the Honey Lager from time to time but only when my sweet tooth flares. The Marzen sounds interesting and I haven't seen it to try, but you can bet I will.

On a different note, I have found that sometimes St Louis is one of the LAST markets to get new AB products. I drank Bud Light in Texarkana six months before it was available in St Louis.

Funny also about your comments on Michelob, as I think they have changed it over the years. It used to be really full bodied with a broad flavor spectrum, but the last few I've had were not what I remembered as the beer we bought when good fortune allowed us to upgrade. Maybe it's the change in bottle shape from the original?????

Definately try the Marzen when you can, I am certain you will enjoy it as well. Unfortunately as I understand it, it is only available around the Xmas holidays and in the sampler pack previously mentioned. But it is well worth it. You get 18 bottles 3 of 6 different styles and 2 glasses that are different each year for around $16-18. I would like to see them add the Marzen to their regular line up of speciality brews.

At first I was skeptical of the Amber Bock because of its darkness, but it is truly a great beer. I had a bud at my fathers the other night and I cringed drinking it!

So they did change the shape of the Michelob bottle. I thought for some reason it looked different than I remember regular michelob looking. I'm sure its a decent beer, but when put up against all their other speciality beers, it doesnt have a leg to stand on.

The incredibly fine ales brewed by Stone Brewing have also made their way from California to Kentucky. I had a Stone IPA this past weekend and thought it one of the best beers I have ever had. I first learned of this San Diego County brewer from HiTime in Costa Mesa. Now, the Liquor Barns in Louisville and Lexington carry the entire line, including their Arrogant Bastard Ale and Ruination IPA.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the Stone Brew beers are definitely among my favorites, as of late. I haven't had a chance to taste the Ruination IPA yet, but the Stone IPA most certainly ranks as one of my all-time favorites, as well. toast.gif

Have you had the 2003 Double Bastard Ale? When I was in VA last (the nearest place I travel where I can buy high-alcohol beers) I picked up a case of the Stone IPA and one of the Arrogant Bastard Ale. Apparently whoever was packing my boxes wasn't paying too much attention, as he/she inadvertantly slipped two of the (extremely limited) Double Bastards (which I didn't even realize they had) in my Arrogant Bastard case. All I can say is Wow. Great, great stuff.

Cheers to all.

I know that these are probably some fine beers, but does anyone else have a problem purchasing something called "Arrogant Bastard" or "Dead Guy" or other silly names. I can't see myself offering the father in-law a tall cold "Bastard" lol.gif

Ruination IPA may just be my favorite Stone beer. I was afraid it would bee too incredibly bitter to be drinkable, but I didn't find that to be the case. It's a very big beer. They call it "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop" and they're not kidding, but the beer is incredibly well balanced. Double Bastard is also great, but its alcohol content in a 22oz size means one of those and I'm done being productive for the day, so I dont' drink it often at all.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to go with beer tonight instead of bourbon. Yeah, I know, strange! confused.gif I've been on more of a beer kick lately for some reason though... With all the 'low-carb' hype and figuring I can drink 4 of these compared to half as many buds calorie wise (or 4 of these equals the amount of carbs as 1 bud) I'd give them a shot. Compared to regular light beer, it's not bad. I never liked light beer because it is so damn watered down tasting but comparing Michelob Ultra to say Bud Light it has 2.6 grams of carbs compared to bud lights 6.5 grams of carbs. Anyway, it's beer tonight for me; light beer and low carb and I am still enjoying it. Alongside a plate of carb filled nachos from a tray I made for company! lol.gif Talk about self defeating purpose.

post-87-14489811427217_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.