Jump to content
kevinbrink

What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017

Recommended Posts

0895

The power of suggestion......thanks, Kevin.

Damn this ish is good!

 

I agree it's somewhat expensive, but I really like it.

Reminds me of the old Rocky mountain rye from high west. :)

IMAG2480.jpg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, 0895 said:

The power of suggestion......thanks, Kevin.

Damn this ish is good!

 

I agree it's somewhat expensive, but I really like it.

Reminds me of the old Rocky mountain rye from high west. :)

IMAG2480.jpg

I find it really drinkable for the proof, so much so that I wish it was upped a little, knowing this isn't cask strength makes me wish I knew what it tasted like before the water was added.  I'll also add, that I chased it with a pour of Hochstadter's Vatted and that showed really well following it up. Next time I have some friends over I think I'm going to need to do a blind SBS with a few other high proof ryes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i

A soccer buddy of mine got one in a recent lottery.  I haven't seen him since so I don't know how much he paid.  I am curious about it but will wait to try it until I can find someone who will share.

 

I am drinking standard Whistlepig 10.  Obviously, not their stuff and a little overpriced but I really like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

Started out with the KO Rye, I like it quite a bit and ended up picking up a second bottle. While I was sipping it I fired up Youtube on the Roku and Ralfy was reviewing Alberta Premium 30 year, figured that was a good enough reason to follow the KO with some Canadian Rye so I had a pour of Crow Royal Hand Selected Barrel (TWCP) and followed that with a Store Pick Masterson's, I like this one and it's been on sale for quite a while for $50 which is probably the price I'm willing to pay for it considering I can find WhistlePig for a $10 more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

My resistance may be crumbling. Good reviews of the "Owl" and now an opportunity to get a bottle has become available to me. My resistance was never very strong to begin with... :unsure:

 

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

My resistance may be crumbling. Good reviews of the "Owl" and now an opportunity to get a bottle has become available to me. My resistance was never very strong to begin with... :unsure:

 

 

 

 

I was on the fence and now I have two bottles, if you want someone to talk you out of it the wrong person is writing this post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

My resistance may be crumbling. Good reviews of the "Owl" and now an opportunity to get a bottle has become available to me. My resistance was never very strong to begin with... :unsure:

 

 

 

 

It's terrible, don't buy.

 

 

(Did it work?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KyleCBreese

Picked up a second bottle today for $120. Drinking it now and I think a few drops of water help it out. Just a little hot as it’s bottled. Nice spice, slightly minty. I’m enjoying it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake

Had pours of Whistlepig store pick barrel proof (Blackwell's) the last few nights, very good. This bottle is starting to run low.

 

I'm jealous of everyone talking about KO Rye, I would like to try it but haven't found anywhere that has a bottle under roughly double the retail price. Oh well, I bought 2 more bottles of WP 120 proof from Blackwell's as a consolation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
15 hours ago, Kane said:

It's terrible, don't buy.

 

 

(Did it work?)

Nope! Its a done deal. :D

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco
4 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Had pours of Whistlepig store pick barrel proof (Blackwell's) the last few nights, very good. This bottle is starting to run low.

 

I'm jealous of everyone talking about KO Rye, I would like to try it but haven't found anywhere that has a bottle under roughly double the retail price. Oh well, I bought 2 more bottles of WP 120 proof from Blackwell's as a consolation.

Now that I live in Austin, I'm able to keep a Spec's store pick of WPBP in my bar. Life is good. 

 

Although I did pass on an opportunity for a KO Rye for $140 the other day. 

 

Currently this is keeping me entertained. It is an absolute sherry beast. 

 

 

20171023_191639.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BFerguson
Picked up a second bottle today for $120. Drinking it now and I think a few drops of water help it out. Just a little hot as it’s bottled. Nice spice, slightly minty. I’m enjoying it. 


I was interested until the “slightly minty”.

I’m dying for somebody to come out with aged rye, that is more in the barely rye category, that is not minty!

It’s like the world forgot what that can be like, and how good it is.....

B



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
5 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Now that I live in Austin, I'm able to keep a Spec's store pick of WPBP in my bar. Life is good. 

 

Although I did pass on an opportunity for a KO Rye for $140 the other day. 

 

Currently this is keeping me entertained. It is an absolute sherry beast. 

 

 

20171023_191639.jpg

I'm interested in that one, is there an age statement on it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
12 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Nope! Its a done deal. :D

Do NOT pour this for me! This time I really don't want to know!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Do NOT pour this for me! This time I really don't want to know!!!

It might end up as a mislabeled sample...  :lol:

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond

I'm trying to recall all the pours I had last night. It was Rye heavy at a party at my friend's place. Some Pikesville, some baby Saz, some Double Rye, and a bunch of KY Owl Rye. I told a few guys to try it so that bottle took some lumps. The guy who was hosting got lucky because I dug a Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it but felt bad that it was going to get abused too. He has the right attitude though and told me to open it if I wanted to. Good party

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
17 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

The guy who was hosting got lucky because I dug a Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it but felt bad that it was going to get abused too. He has the right attitude though and told me to open it if I wanted to. Good party

Right attitude indeed. I am typically happy to share most everything as well but the part about digging a "Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it" would have me a bit concerned.

 

Guests are free to ask about anything they want to try but I probably would not have been quite so happy to have somebody digging something out of my bunker without my knowledge, especially if it wasn't already open, that they hadn't asked about FIRST. I might not have said anything at the time but future invitations could get a bit scarce... :o

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz
On 10/27/2017 at 7:34 AM, EarthQuake said:

Had pours of Whistlepig store pick barrel proof (Blackwell's) the last few nights, very good. This bottle is starting to run low.

 

I'm jealous of everyone talking about KO Rye, I would like to try it but haven't found anywhere that has a bottle under roughly double the retail price. Oh well, I bought 2 more bottles of WP 120 proof from Blackwell's as a consolation.

Is this from the Blackwell's in San Francisco?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Is this from the Blackwell's in San Francisco?

That is the one, though I double checked my bottle and it's from Stagecoach (in LA I think). I ordered two more from Stagecoach, who have a 120 and I think a 111 proof barrel as well.

 

Blackwell's has a single barrel right now too, I haven't tried that one but I imagine it is good as well. The Wine and Cheese Club has two barrels too.

Edited by EarthQuake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Right attitude indeed. I am typically happy to share most everything as well but the part about digging a "Booker's Rye out of his bunker and was about to open it" would have me a bit concerned.

 

Guests are free to ask about anything they want to try but I probably would not have been quite so happy to have somebody digging something out of my bunker without my knowledge, especially if it wasn't already open, that they hadn't asked about FIRST. I might not have said anything at the time but future invitations could get a bit scarce... :o

 

 

 

Yeah in general such a story of digging bottles out of someone else's bunker might sound a little scandalous. This particular guy and I have a well established understanding when it comes to whiskey though. I wouldn't touch someone else's high end bottles if I wasn't confident about how my actions would be recieved. I'm pretty confident that this guy also knows that he could dig through any bottles at my house without me caring. This dynamic is part of my Bourbon Zen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz
1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

That is the one, though I double checked my bottle and it's from Stagecoach (in LA I think). I ordered two more from Stagecoach, who have a 120 and I think a 111 proof barrel as well.

 

Blackwell's has a single barrel right now too, I haven't tried that one but I imagine it is good as well. The Wine and Cheese Club has two barrels too.

 

Gotcha, thanks! It's interesting to hear about folks from other states talk about ordering from local (SF) stores. Blackwell's and SFWTC seem to get quite a bit of business from outside the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco
On 10/27/2017 at 7:49 PM, kevinbrink said:

I'm interested in that one, is there an age statement on it? 

NAS. It's straight,  so it's at least 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

 

Gotcha, thanks! It's interesting to hear about folks from other states talk about ordering from local (SF) stores. Blackwell's and SFWTC seem to get quite a bit of business from outside the area.

I don’t think a lot of places are willing to ship. So the ones that are can pick up scattered online only business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
3 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

NAS. It's straight,  so it's at least 2 years. 

Straight with no age statement should be 4 years, sub 4 years requires an actual age statement as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco
1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Straight with no age statement should be 4 years, sub 4 years requires an actual age statement as far as I know.

You're right of course. Memory lapse. 

 

Regarding it, you kind of need to like youngish MGP to really dig it. And while it ain't no AMwND or AERye, personally I prefer it to WPOW and HWYKY. It's crazy sherry monster with MGP rye spice. It's smells like a bag of raisins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...