Jump to content

What rye are you drinking? Fall 2017


kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • kevinbrink

    21

  • tanstaafl2

    8

  • 0895

    7

  • Kane

    7

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good old 101 Rye..... by a good fire.....

^^ I'm joining you mate!!  Fresh crack.  

OOOooooh that sounds real nice. NH LC = New Hampshire Liquor Control or something like that? I was going to try and see if I could try down a bottle from an online store but if it's from a control sta

Posted Images

Just went through some Whistlepig a few nights ago, comparing it to Pikesville later which has been my modus operandi of late. Two nights ago the Bare Knuckle out of Manassas, VA got the head to head with Pikesville treatment, then last night was the Hudson Manhattan as well. I thought the Whistlepig was closest, the Bare Knuckle next closest and the Hudson was last in the running. I did enjoy them all, however, and am expanding my rye horizons after starting so stunningly with the Pikesville.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Government Beard

Last pour of the night. Really into the thickness of this Rye. The 16 month barrel finish adds a great layer.

 

Huzzah

 

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.d927e2f2cf22e6e8988782377c5e75f1.JPG

 

Edited by Government Beard
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Bar had a great deal on "Black Prince" so I went with it. As good as advertised.  Best finish ever?  Probably.  For me anyway.  Wish I could afford a bottle. But glad I sampled it.

 

20171214_191040.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 6:12 PM, Kepler said:

Bar had a great deal on "Black Prince" so I went with it. As good as advertised.  Best finish ever?  Probably.  For me anyway.  Wish I could afford a bottle. But glad I sampled it.

 

20171214_191040.jpg

Whoa there........

This is on I'd like to taste but price is of course a barrier.

In your estimation, what is this bottle worth? How much would you pay for it? Use whatever criteria suits you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flahute said:

Whoa there........

This is on I'd like to taste but price is of course a barrier.

In your estimation, what is this bottle worth? How much would you pay for it? Use whatever criteria suits you.

If it were $300 instead of $450ish I'd go for it in a weak moment.  Probably even $350 in a very weak moment.  I'd like to try it again sometime and compare it to Booker's Rye, which blew my socks off back when I sampled it.   For me, the only drawback of Booker's was heat, and this black prince didn't have that problem for me. 

 

Another natural SBS I suppose would be Van Winkle rye.  FWIW, I once compared 2016 VW Rye to the previous Boss Hog ("Independent") and VW beat it easily.  But this black prince is better than my memory of Independent by a large margin.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Kepler said:

 Van Winkle rye

Speaking of, does that thing still exist? I've never ever seen it IRL, not at well-known gougers that have Pappys stacked five deep, not at bars that charge $100 an oz. Is the mashbill known with any confidence?

 

Back to topic: Poured myself a Willett 2yr. As the bottle nears its demise, I feel like the initial grassiness & harshness started to disappear. Really enjoying this one these days, but I'll wait for more mature juice before I buy another Willett.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kane said:

Speaking of, does that thing still exist? I've never ever seen it IRL, not at well-known gougers that have Pappys stacked five deep, not at bars that charge $100 an oz. Is the mashbill known with any confidence?

 

It existed in the 2016 Van Winkle release but not this year.  I don't know the mashbill but maybe somebody else on here does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kane said:

Back to topic: Poured myself a Willett 2yr. As the bottle nears its demise, I feel like the initial grassiness & harshness started to disappear. Really enjoying this one these days, but I'll wait for more mature juice before I buy another Willett.

 

I guess the standard bottling is now 3 years (replaced the 2 year maybe?) but I've never tried it and it's still a bit young I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

 

I guess the standard bottling is now 3 years (replaced the 2 year maybe?) but I've never tried it and it's still a bit young I suppose.

The 5yr is now out though not widely distributed yet. It's quite nice and unlike any of the other ryes on the market. Still, I believe it will be better at an older age.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Kane said:

Speaking of, does that thing still exist? I've never ever seen it IRL, not at well-known gougers that have Pappys stacked five deep, not at bars that charge $100 an oz. Is the mashbill known with any confidence?

 

 

13 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It existed in the 2016 Van Winkle release but not this year.  I don't know the mashbill but maybe somebody else on here does.

 

As Kepler said, it wasn't released this year. Last year and prior, it was all or mostly tanked whiskey from sources other than BT. It wasn't released this year because BT didn't have enough 13yr old whiskey. They had 12yr whiskey though. 

So, it will be back next year, but, nobody except BT employees will know what the mashbill is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flahute said:

 

 

As Kepler said, it wasn't released this year. Last year and prior, it was all or mostly tanked whiskey from sources other than BT. It wasn't released this year because BT didn't have enough 13yr old whiskey. They had 12yr whiskey though. 

So, it will be back next year, but, nobody except BT employees will know what the mashbill is.

This is the most likely reason why (as posed in the Purchase thread) there isn't more or older Handy Rye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

This is the most likely reason why (as posed in the Purchase thread) there isn't more or older Handy Rye.

Is VW Rye that big of a release? Do we even know that it's the same mash bill?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Clueby said:

Is VW Rye that big of a release? Do we even know that it's the same mash bill?

Nope but considering it was formerly tanked, I wouldn't think it was guaranteed you were getting the same thing in future releases, wouldn't be the first time a VW whiskey changed. I wish BT would just bottle some of the Barton Rye that goes to NDP's for some sort of release. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Nope but considering it was formerly tanked, I wouldn't think it was guaranteed you were getting the same thing in future releases, wouldn't be the first time a VW whiskey changed. I wish BT would just bottle some of the Barton Rye that goes to NDP's for some sort of release. 

Hmm, there's a thought! Barton rye could also be the future of VWFRR. Or at least a part of it. Presuming they have some at 13 years or older that wasn't already sold off.

 

The original older tanked VWFRR, which I always presumed to have been a blend of Medley and COK from Old Bernheim, if not gone already can't last much longer. BT was already blending some of their own make into VWFRR for the past several years according to Harlan Wheatley. 

 

It might be fun to play with a blend of Barton, Sazerac and/or CEHT rye to create a "new" VWFRR. But as Steve said, there is a good chance we won't know what will be in a future VWFRR, presuming they keep bottling it.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Drinking a WP Single barrel from the NH LC, there is so much Oak on this one really different than the profile I'm used to from them.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Drinking a WP Single barrel from the NH LC, there is so much Oak on this one really different than the profile I'm used to from them.

An odd choice for the nasally groundhog. Most bottles aren't typically heavily oak driven.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 9:17 PM, kevinbrink said:

Drinking a WP Single barrel from the NH LC, there is so much Oak on this one really different than the profile I'm used to from them.

OOOooooh that sounds real nice. NH LC = New Hampshire Liquor Control or something like that? I was going to try and see if I could try down a bottle from an online store but if it's from a control state I won't bother.

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EarthQuake said:

OOOooooh that sounds real nice. NH LC = New Hampshire Liquor Control or something like that? I was going to try and see if I could try down a bottle from an online store but if it's from a control state I won't bother.

Yep New Hampshire Liquor Commission 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DCFan said:

CEHT Rye at 100 proof courtesy of a very generous SB’r. For a 100 proofer it is very smooth. Might be too light.

Joining you with a pour. I like it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.