"Pro Tips"

smokinjoe

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

DO NOT EVER EVER TRY TO (A) make up vattings after finishing off the dregs of more than one vatting OR (II) make up more than one vatting after finishing the dregs of two or more.

Tonight, I got out my almost empty SB blend (1:1::W12:OWA) AND my almost empty GW4G (mild blend 2:3:: OGD 114:WSR).  Finished off the dregs of each vatting bottle and then LOST WHERE THE HECK I WAS about halfway through the measuring.  THEN, I misread the markings on the outside of the PYREX (tm) measuring cup so the ratios MAY be messed up.  ALSO, I used a one cup/236.6 ml measure so I had to fill it up multiple times, thus compounding the chance of errors while fretting about my prior issues and lost rack of what and how many "fills" I'd done.

We'll know in a week or so whether the blends blended.

I see an opportunity there. This is how we get overpriced accident whiskey like the Forgiven. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

DO NOT EVER EVER TRY TO (A) make up vattings after finishing off the dregs of more than one vatting OR (II) make up more than one vatting after finishing the dregs of two or more.

Tonight, I got out my almost empty SB blend (1:1::W12:OWA) AND my almost empty GW4G (mild blend 2:3:: OGD 114:WSR).  Finished off the dregs of each vatting bottle and then LOST WHERE THE HECK I WAS about halfway through the measuring.  THEN, I misread the markings on the outside of the PYREX (tm) measuring cup so the ratios MAY be messed up.  ALSO, I used a one cup/236.6 ml measure so I had to fill it up multiple times, thus compounding the chance of errors while fretting about my prior issues and lost rack of what and how many "fills" I'd done.

Hey Harry, we're just getting older - remember, memory is the second thing that goes at our age . . . . .   ?

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Harry, we're just getting older - remember, memory is the second thing that goes at our age . . . . .   ?

Hmmmm, I can’t remember what the first thing is. ?

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hmmmm, I can’t remember what the first thing is. ?

Your hearing, Joe - but what were YOU thinking???   ?

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Your hearing, Joe - but what were YOU thinking???   ?

I don’t remember. ???

• I like it 2

On 10/22/2020 at 7:01 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

???

@Harry in WashDC, I had a pretty good chuckle when I read your post just now! That is SO true! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 6:35 PM, Mattk said:

The cupholders in newer ram pickup trucks can comfortably hold most 750s.

IMG_20201120_175134.jpg

F-150 too ;)

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, BigRich said:

F-150 too ;)

LMFAO!  Go get ‘em Rich. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

All in all, the low lighting not withstanding, this looks better than a “crotch shot”.  ?

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 5:50 AM, smokinjoe said:

Pro Tip:

We've all heard of Parafilm as a very good film wrap to be used over corked bottles to  prevent leakage and oxidation during transport and long term storage.  Better than adhesive tapes which can leave a glue residue, or Saran Wrap which doesn't always stick well enough.  

Instead of ordering Parafilm from a lab supply house, I use Glad's Press n Seal...

Silicone tape. Self-adhesive without residue, vapor and water-tight, stretches to 3x it's resting state... just as good as waxing a bottle.

Great when you're traveling.

• I like it 3

Some thoughts/suggestions:

I'd suggest keeping Amber 8oz., 16oz. and smaller Boston Rounds if you have something really valuable or that you truly love. Once the ullage of an awesome bottling is low enough, it's nice to cut out some of the headspace in the bottle. Most spirits open up their bouquet more readily below 40°.

If you ever have the opportunity, use rainwater. When you wake a spirit up with dilution after examining it neat, add water gently and slowly. Total Wines did carry Richard's Rainwater for a time, don't know if they still have it. As an aside, I think there's a certain someone here that can attest to that fact that it's also fantastic for reduction in the barrel, in place of or in addition to petite eaux. (And if the petite eaux is a blend of water and heart, rather the so-named particular part of the distillate, rainwater is great for preparing that as well.)

A dropper (for dilution water) is great for 50 ml tastings. 

(What I say below, may draw some ire, but know it's not something I've simply read, but use to help me for evaluating distillations and finished spirits. Also, please see it as what it is, an attempt to share what has helped me, personally. Your own personal results may come about a different way - and in that case, I'd love to know more!)

Don’t vigorously agitate a sample before nosing or while tasting. It’s okay to “skin” the glass sidewalls if you know what types of faults you’re looking for, nosing after the initial evaporative wave of alcohol.

Blow into the sample glass to clear the headspace and nose as the air above the surface of the volume of the sample clears and the vapor settles out – you’ll pick up notes that vary in volatility and character, that may otherwise be too tightly married to distinguish in the mouth.

Taste initially in the front of the mouth, that is to say, not directly towards the throat, otherwise you’ll miss the interest of the spirit. Involving the sides of the tongue and mouth after supporting the spirit on the tongue will give hints about other aspects of (or faults with) the spirit, especially as its allowed to linger.

I'd really suggest not sampling a bottle that has just been shipped and arrived at your door until allowing it several days to rest in a mild, dark space.

I'd also really suggest not washing sample glasses with detergent or dish soap before use. Thoroughly rinse the whole of your glass with very warm water so that no residue or off-scents are perceptible, especially after it’s been allowed to air dry and cool back to room temperature.

Taste the same bottling at different times of the day and at different times of the month – keep notes and compare. It might surprise you to see what you find; and I'm not so sure it's as much the spirit or the person tasting, as the synergy between the two.

Keep in mind that spirits are very much “alive;” the moment you open the bottle and introduce your air, wresting that luscious libation from its more-or-less captive state, avoid putting too much heft into the first glass. Save your real consideration for the moment you’ve chipped away at the volume several days later, when the cork comes off next.

Avoid storing your bottles in areas with significant potential for thermal cycles. Traveling with bottles, especially valuable ones, don’t think that a 130 degree trunk is just fine for the 9 hour trip you have to make… clear away a space in the cab. ? Treat it like a passenger you’d like to keep comfortable.

Sorry to have spoken somewhat out of turn (being new to the forum).

• I like it 12

On 11/24/2020 at 6:04 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

All in all, the low lighting not withstanding, this looks better than a “crotch shot”.  ?

Thanks for no "crotch shot".  Whew.....

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are young, not yet a home owner, and making a lot of high-dollar whiskey purchases...

Bank with two banks. 

Get paid into your "Clean" bank, out of which you responsibly pay your bills.

Withdraw cash from your clean bank and put the money into your dirty bank.

Use the dirty bank card to buy your liquor.

Don't count on your mortgage application reviewer to understand a record of multiple thousand-dollar purchases from liquor stores.

• I like it 8

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

If you are young, not yet a home owner, and making a lot of high-dollar whiskey purchases...

Bank with two banks. 

Don't count on your mortgage application reviewer to understand a record of multiple thousand-dollar purchases from liquor stores.

I'm starting to see the wisdom of this as the years go on...?

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Bank with two banks. 

This is a Next Level Pro Tip right here!  ?

• I like it 3

If you are married, learn how to squirrel away cash, and sneak purchases into the house.  Keep it reasonable as to what will or won't be noticed.

The best way to win an argument is never have it. ?

• I like it 7

12 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Bank with two banks. 

Great advice!  

To add to this, make sure the withdrawals from the clean bank are in amounts not likely to arouse inquiry.  I’ve acquired a few properties during this decade.  The times where I did utilize bank financing, I was always asked to explain high 4-figure and 5-figure cash withdrawals.  Better to just regularly withdraw smaller amounts to squirrel away.  And vary those withdrawal amounts!  Don’t let it always be $300 or $500 over and over again.

BTW, those withdrawals of mine weren’t for bourbon purchases.  I have a few other “life leaks”.......

• I like it 2

• 5 months later...

Pro Tip:  The makeover of the EW 1783 reminded me of this.  If you like the pre makeover iteration, or  just want to accumulate an instant dusty find that you can break out in a few years, buy up some of the pre makeover, now.   Regardless of the general opinion today of the whiskey, it will be a cool bottle to open some time in the future at a meetup.  Besides the new dressing, there is a proof change, so the whiskey change is significant.  Early thinking is that it should get better because of the changes, but that is really a moot point here.  This is your chance to have 20:20 hindsight, now.  

• I like it 3

^^^ Ha!  I keep doing this by accident, because they change the bottles faster than I get around to drinking them.

• I like it 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, PaulO said:

If you are married, learn how to squirrel away cash, and sneak purchases into the house.  Keep it reasonable as to what will or won't be noticed.

The best way to win an argument is never have it. ?

TWTWIRBM has this down to a science with shoe purchases.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is a mighty hefty pour of Bookers!

I had a couple hours before dinner and I didn’t want to pour a 2nd else SWMBO would’ve squawked.

above copied from another thread. I never considered the one large pour could placate the spouse. I tend to pull out a couple bottles and have multiple small pours, which I now see appears (to my wife) to be more drinking than it actually is. In certain future situations, It will appear to her that I only had "one" drink!!!  Win-Win!!

Edited by steven s
  • I like it 3

• 2 months later...

…..AND ^^^^ Costco carries tiramisu in these glasses that make good whiskey or cocktail glasses. I don’t know the brand.

805A03BF-2D15-4BA0-AE82-EACEEF737C26.thumb.jpeg.76c076179d3998808f9ac9d3ab195c28.jpeg

• I like it 2