What bourbon to ask for as a gift?

Bourbon Fanatic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey all!

My fiancée just asked me what bourbon I've been wanting to try, but would likely never buy for myself because of the price (we share money, so it's like I'm still buying it for myself but in the interest of securing another good bottle, I fought off my urge to share that logic with her ;)).

I've been thinking hard about it and all I can really think of is any LEs or BTAC bottles - but the odds that she'll stumble across one of those is slim to none.

My favorite bourbons are as follows (not necessarily in this order):

- RHF (this might actually be my #1 favorite right now)

- WT101

- OF1920

- OGD14

- Blanton's

I'm ready to hear some ideas from you all. What should I ask for?

Keep in mind, it's still coming from my bank account, so I don't want a $1,000 bottle :lol:. I think budget should be $200.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Cheers! Jordan

1 minute ago, jshleffar said:

EH Taylor barrel proof

Ooh that's a good one! Never tried it. In fact, never tried any CEHT.

I'll look into that! What's retail on those and are they hard to find? 

I don't know if I've ever seen one on a shelf (then again, I wasn't actively looking for one).

Cheers!

Wild Turkey Masters Keep 17yr or Decades. Beautiful bottles, nice box and the juice ain't bad either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

...A case of Early Times BIB?    This one is becoming a 'first grab' for me of late.

If you like the 1920, you might find the ETBIB a really close second for a really great price.  

Definitely a robust, and typically BF profile; plus you get waaaaay more booze fer yer cheddar than with any of the premium offerings that aren't always stellar.

CEHT Small Batch.  Should be fairly easy to find.  If not, Four Roses single barrel (regular or store pick).  Heck...at your price limit why not both?

Parker's Heritage 11yr (recent issue), 24yr (last year's release) - both fine gifts to share later in your bourbon journey.  PH24 is a little above your price range but TW&M price was about $229.99 last year (if you can find it).  JMHO!   :D

Blanton’s SFTB. She’d have to order it online. Since you like RHF and Blanton’s, you’d likely really enjoy it (assuming you’re into barrel proofers).

I just got the Joseph Magnus as a gift. It's $100, I never would have bought it myself, and I'm enjoying it. 

8 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I'm ready to hear some ideas from you all. What should I ask for?

Since you didn't say this was shopping for a Christmas present for you so I'm thinking this is a regular old gift type of thing so nothing too extravagant,  have you tried regular old BT?  Very affordable and very delicious.  You also mentioned WT101, have you tried WTRB? About $15 more than BT but it packs a little more oomph to it but not enough that it's going to curl your toes (unless you like that sort of thing). :D

• I like it 1

@DCFanI have tried all of those (actually have a few of each bunkered) both great pours! 

She told me it'll be for my birthday (in July), so she's really ahead of the game lol.

I'm all ears for more suggestions B)

Cheers! Jordan

1 minute ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

@DCFanI have tried all of those (actually have a few of each bunkered) both great pours! 

She told me it'll be for my birthday (in July), so she's really ahead of the game lol.

Cheers! Jordan

Lucky man! Knob Creek 25th Anniversary could be a great option, it's a touch under your budget and not terribly hard to find. 

If she's planning on spending around $200 what about 4 bottles in the $50/each range from different distilleries.  

Buffalo Trace - CEHT SmB, ETL (if you can find it), RHF (if you can find it), Hancock's President's Reserve.

Wild Turkey - RR SiB, WTRB

Maker's Mark - Maker's 46 Store Selection

Heaven Hill - ECBP (probably above the $50 level)

Jim Beam - Baker's, KCSiB Store Selection, OGD 114 (you could get two of these for around $50)

Willett - Willett Pot Still, Pure Kentucky, Johnny Drum (PK & JD are going to be about $30 each)

Four Roses - Single Barrel,  Single Barrel BP (going to be above $50)

Old Forester - Statesman, 1897, 1920

This would give you a broader range of taste profiles.  

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Ooh that's a good one! Never tried it. In fact, never tried any CEHT.

I'll look into that! What's retail on those and are they hard to find? 

I don't know if I've ever seen one on a shelf (then again, I wasn't actively looking for one).

Cheers!

Retail is $80, generally hard to find though. Stagg Jr has a very similar profile if that helps inform your decision. The Small Batch and Single Barrel are very good too, again, very similar profile to Stagg Jr and standard Buffalo trace, just a bit higher proof than BT and probably better barrel selection. I would tend to opt for Small Batch over Single Barrel, because its very, very good, about on par with the Single Barrel in my opinion, for $20 less.

I second the suggestion for a Four Roses store pick. The only one I've had so far was an OBSK, which was stellar, I plan picking up a couple more for the holiday season.

2 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Have you ventured into the world of ryes yet?  If not I'd suggest Pikesville. I myself have not tried it yet but it is hands down the crowd favorite here and when I get another bottle of rye it'll be Pikesville.

I'm not going to mention really hard to find bottles as you probably won't find them, but some of the more available higher priced bourbons do not get as much love on here as the limited edition ones, but I think for the most part they will represent a good quality bourbon, as well as a uniqueness that is probably worth experiencing. Sure many of the cheaper options are readily available also and sometimes even better quality, but it somewhat defeats the purpose of a special occasion buy.

I think if you're looking between $100 and $200 I think some good options that are reasonable to find (some mentioned above) would be Knob Creek 2001 or 25th anniversary, Wild Turkey 17 yr or Decades, a little bit harder to find, but available in some stores or online, Elijah Craig 18, Orphan Barrel Rhetoric, Michters 10, Blantons Straight from the Barrel.

If someone got me a bottle of any of the above bourbons I would be happy to receive it as a gift.

• I like it 2

Awesome that your fiance wants to participate in your hobby!  I recommend sending her to whichever liquor store you have the best relationship with.  Give the manager or whomever you deal with a heads up in advance and even go over some of the options they might suggest.  This provides you a little bit of quality control, but also gives your fiance the feeling like she is making the decision.  Then in the future when something limited or rare comes out she can go back and talk about how much you loved the gift, but that you have been really looking for xyz bottle forever and she just really wants to be able to give it to you for Christmas, wedding, etc . . .   FWIW my wife has zero interest in playing this card for me, but she also understands when I am get home 90 later then usual because " I just need to stop a 1-2 (really 3-4) stores real quick!"  

As for specific bottles I think Theiano's list above is spot on.  Within your budget and also fits the bill of bottles that I would be floored with as a gift, but would not shell out the money myself to buy (with the exception of EC18 and Blanton's SFTB I would buy those, but still a fantastic gift)

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

Since you didn't say this was shopping for a Christmas present for you so I'm thinking this is a regular old gift type of thing so nothing too extravagant,  have you tried regular old BT?  Very affordable and very delicious.  You also mentioned WT101, have you tried WTRB? About $15 more than BT but it packs a little more oomph to it but not enough that it's going to curl your toes (unless you like that sort of thing). :D

Regular BT for a present? Guessing D.C. Fan enjoys opening socks and underwear Christmas morning.  HA!  Go to the Whiskey Exchange. It's an online store out of the U.K. They have Wild Turkey 13yr for about $100.  it's very good and don't have to hunt. Took about 4 days to get the bottles I ordered. 

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Regular BT for a present? Guessing D.C. Fan enjoys opening socks and underwear Christmas morning.  HA!  Go to the Whiskey Exchange. It's an online store out of the U.K. They have Wild Turkey 13yr for about $100.  it's very good and don't have to hunt. Took about 4 days to get the bottles I ordered. 

Damned straight I’m recommending BT. It’s delicious and affordable. Sorry if it’s too pedestrian for you. And the hell with online orders. There’s nothing I’m really pining for to make me need to place online orders or make 14 hour road trips. ;) There’s a liquor store a mile from my house that’s packed with so much new stuff I’ve yet to try.

I pretty sure he asked for gift suggestions with a $200 budget. Not what was affordable, best value Bourbon, not how many liqour stores are in a mile radius of your house, not that you won't drive ridiculous distances for bourbons ( I do that and your right that is pretty stupid) or that you won't order something from out of the country. Agree BT is a great $20 Bourbon , but a gift idea?  The person who asked the initial question has it bunkered as well as everybody else on the forum. Enjoy the tighty whities DC.  

• I like it 1

I would second Wild Turkey Decades, opened mine a few days ago and it is really good, and it is packaged nicely, great embossed bottle.

Or....two bottles of Blantons Gold from Masters of Malt.

1 hour ago, Gorzo said:

I pretty sure he asked for gift suggestions with a $200 budget. Not what was affordable, best value Bourbon, not how many liqour stores are in a mile radius of your house, not that you won't drive ridiculous distances for bourbons ( I do that and your right that is pretty stupid) or that you won't order something from out of the country. Agree BT is a great $20 Bourbon , but a gift idea?  The person who asked the initial question has it bunkered as well as everybody else on the forum. Enjoy the tighty whities DC.  

Have a nice day Gorzo. :D

9 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Have a nice day Gorzo. :D

I know you're just trying to be passive aggressive towards @Gorzo, but he hit the nail right on the head... I am asking for suggestions near or around $200 - not the $20 - $50 bottles you recommended.

When Gorzo mentioned shopping online, he was talking to me, the one that created the thread - he wasn't talking to you. So when you asserted your (unwanted) opinion about shopping online and why you only shop at stores near you, I can understand why he called you out on it.

Bottom line, I'm looking for something less "pedestrian" (as you put it) than BT or WTRB. Thanks for the suggestions (they are very great pours) just not the train of thought I was looking for.

Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Damned straight I’m recommending BT. It’s delicious and affordable. Sorry if it’s too pedestrian for you. And the hell with online orders. There’s nothing I’m really pining for to make me need to place online orders or make 14 hour road trips. ;) There’s a liquor store a mile from my house that’s packed with so much new stuff I’ve yet to try.

For sure. A local liquor store has a BT SiB PS for that tastes better than some whiskeys I've had for twice the price. Stocked up on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.