What bourbon to ask for as a gift?

Bourbon Fanatic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, Theiano said:

I'm not going to mention really hard to find bottles as you probably won't find them, but some of the more available higher priced bourbons do not get as much love on here as the limited edition ones, but I think for the most part they will represent a good quality bourbon, as well as a uniqueness that is probably worth experiencing. Sure many of the cheaper options are readily available also and sometimes even better quality, but it somewhat defeats the purpose of a special occasion buy.

I think if you're looking between $100 and $200 I think some good options that are reasonable to find (some mentioned above) would be Knob Creek 2001 or 25th anniversary, Wild Turkey 17 yr or Decades, a little bit harder to find, but available in some stores or online, Elijah Craig 18, Orphan Barrel Rhetoric, Michters 10, Blantons Straight from the Barrel.

If someone got me a bottle of any of the above bourbons I would be happy to receive it as a gift.

I was wondering when EC18 would be thrown out there.  This is near the top of my wish list, along with the BTAC bourbons.  Good list...  Maybe add Orphan Barterhouse too.

Edited by gurgalunas

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I know you're just trying to be passive aggressive towards @Gorzo, but he hit the nail right on the head... I am asking for suggestions near or around $200 - not the $20 - $50 bottles you recommended.

When Gorzo mentioned shopping online, he was talking to me, the one that created the thread - he wasn't talking to you. So when you asserted your (unwanted) opinion about shopping online and why you only shop at stores near you, I can understand why he called you out on it.

Bottom line, I'm looking for something less "pedestrian" (as you put it) than BT or WTRB. Thanks for the suggestions (they are very great pours) just not the train of thought I was looking for.

Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Critiquing responses is not a good look, either.  YOU asked for opinions... just saying.;)

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Critiquing responses is not a good look, either.  YOU asked for opinions... just saying.;)

You are correct, my friend. But I also asked for opinions around $200 - not for people to tell me to ask for a bourbon I buy on a regular basis because it's inexpensive and delicious.

I hope it didn't come off as me being rude to @DCFan, that was not my intentions and I apologize. My intentions were to steer this thread back to ~$200 bottle suggestions.

I just want to be able to tell my fiancée with conviction that I want xyz bottle. I don't just want to say "I don't know, I guess buy me more BT, because I don't have enough bunkered". That's not a fun gift.

Again, I hope to all of my fellow SB'ers out there that it didn't sound like I was attacking anyone. I simply was trying to get the thread back on topic (~$200 bottle suggestions).

Cheers!

• I like it 1

Personally I think 8 or so bottles of a nice store pick of BT would be a lovely $200 present!

• I like it 2

The problem with this query is that Bourbon pricing vs availability is all out of whack.  Most of the readily available bottles in your price range are those that many on here do not find enough value to purchase.  And you did mention that you have a shared account so the even though this is a gift there is a direct impact on your wallet.  Angels Envy Cask Strength is $180 or so and I have passed on it numerous times.  Same for Kentucky Owl Rye in the $140-150 range.  However, I think we all know if your fiance scored a BTAC bottle at the $90 MSRP you would be over the moon even though this is well below your budget amount.  To a lesser extent that same could be said for a EH Barrel Proof, Rock Hill Farms, or even Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  Those are all realistic options to find by July yet nowhere near $200 and I am certain would satisfy you to a greater extent then the AE Cask Strength.  

I suspect that is what some of the other suggestions are implying, that you cannot simply up the dollar amount spent and be guaranteed a better experience.  Why force a $200 single bottle purchase just for the sake of spending $200?  

Another thought that just came to me.  If you end up taking that Kentucky trip I believe the William Heavenhill (15 year?) bottle only available at the distillery is $250.  I have never been, but I think you can also get Old Fitz 12 for $130sih as well.  Both of those certainly qualify as special bottles, fit your price range, and would have sentimental ties to you and you fiance.  

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Take it easy on Bourbon Fanatic. It was me busting D.C.'s balls not him. I get cranky when nobody will cut out of work and play golf. 

I agree with Bob there is really not many $200 bottles of bourbon (MSRP) and I don't think anyone on this forum would suggest going to the secondary market. When someone ask the type of question that Bourbon Fanatic asked I interpret it to mean I want a special bottle that is obtainable, but may have to do a little work to get. That's why I suggested the WT13. Has a little wow factor if you want to show it off and drink with friends because it's not sold in America. Someone else suggested Blantons Gold. That's another cool bottle that is under $200.  I doubt someone's girl friend is going to score a bottle of BTAC, EC18, EC23PVW, PHC ORVW  or even RHF for that matter.  Its hard enough for us to get those bottles and we have 1/2 a clue what we are doing . 

Your idea of the OFitz 12yr and HH was also a top notch suggestion.

Edited by Gorzo

If u have a regular store....I️ would send her there now to ask them to keep their eyes out for an LE over the next few months as she is looking for a high end bottle for your bday. If ur like most of us, u may spend enough there for them to help her help u out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I live, in the 100-200 range I find WT MK 17 and Decades as well as KO Rye tasty and I don't think are as bad a value based on age and how unique they are as some of the others. EC18 and EC23 I find over oaked but if you are into oak heavy bourbons they wouldn't be bad choices. Jos Magnus, KC 25th, and the last two Woodford MC's I found tasty but wouldn't spring for with my dollar which is exactly what I like to tell other people to buy me if they are looking to overspend on me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.