What Dram are you enjoying? Winter 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did a nice 4-way SBS tasting of Johnnie Walkers that I got in a gift set for Christmas (contained 4 200 mL bottles of Black Label 12 yr, Gold Label Reserve, Platinum Label 18yr, Blue Label).  I can appreciate how each is a step up from the previous, although glad the wifey got this package for $100 vs buying me a bottle of Blue on sale.  Can honestly say - even at a sale price, I'm not a fan.  But - will get several more SBS tastings out of this set that make it worth while!

Had a couple pours tonight, Tulamore DEW 10 yr Single Malt which I like, especially when I want something I don't want to think about too much. Bunnahabhain Toiteach followed it up and is working quite well to cap off my night.

Laddie 10 special ed #2 bit the dust. Truly remarkable bottle, really made me appreciate wine cask matured Scotch.

The open shelf space is now occupied by a Spice Tree.

IMG_20180206_210717.jpg

• I like it 1

Honestly, they were very similar and I had a hard time distinguishing them.  If you like Balvenie, it’s fun to try a unique variation of their malt. However, I probably won’t be a repeat customer on either, just like their other offerings better

One of those strange nights where bourbon just doesn't make it for me. I've never been able to figure out why, but it happens occasionally. When it does, I'll start nosing open bottles of Scotch and Irish to see what hits me in a good way and go with it. Tonight it's a 26yr old Balmenach from Signatory, bottled at 51.6% abv, and selected by Binny's (forced on me by Lost Pollito :P).

Thad.....if you read this, I'm sorry :D

• I like it 1

One of those strange nights where bourbon just doesn't make it for me.

Not just you. That’s been happening to me a lot lately. Nothing against my beloved bourbon and rye, but I happen to be watching a show Peaky Blinders on Netflix these days, and about 75% of every episode of this show involves drinking Irish or Scotch whiskey. So it gets me jonesing for a wee dram. Past few nights I’ve had Powers John’s Lane, Tullamore Dew 12, Tullamore Dew 10, Glenmorangie Bacalta, Costco/Kirkland 18 Year SM, and some others. Also this guy, which is a nice store selection of Knappogue Castle 12, which is NCF and 46% instead of the usual 40%. Good stuff.

e3b37ef31071a29b0b89a0b5e12ad061.jpg
  • I like it 1

Seriously better than expected– I may have to park it here for the night. Looks like whoever was in charge of centering the crest on the secondary carton was enjoying a few drams as well.

IMG_8612.thumb.JPG.e5890af2f1fd2d71552e8e4fdd438cd1.JPGIMG_8613.thumb.JPG.fbb9c9cd2e9a2e3c44458f6e7c759f24.JPG

11 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Seriously better than expected– I may have to park it here for the night. Looks like whoever was in charge of centering the crest on the secondary carton was enjoying a few drams as well.

IMG_8612.thumb.JPG.e5890af2f1fd2d71552e8e4fdd438cd1.JPGIMG_8613.thumb.JPG.fbb9c9cd2e9a2e3c44458f6e7c759f24.JPG

Indeed. I thought it was superb as well. If I were drinking it I probably would get the crest centered either... :lol:

I wonder if you got yours at the same place that I bought mine. [emoji848]

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I wonder if you got yours at the same place that I bought mine. emoji848.png

Highly doubtful. I bought mine here in town tonight and opened it at the store-- sharing a dram with the store owner-- a Friday night tradition. Cheers!

A 30 year 64.3% ABV single grain Invergordon-- this challenges the Amrut Spectrum 004 in the "unexpectedly good" category. It's very wrong in all of the right ways, I'll have to do a SBS the with The Cally-- which I expect to be more refined.

IMG_8614.thumb.jpg.6a59f84729eae44a93f265a4d89bc2a6.jpg

I liked the Old Pulteney 21 far better than I imagined-- there's a hell of a lot going on inside the bottle. The Longrow 9 Sauternes is killer (and a complete 360˚ from the OP21).  I did a small 50/50 mix this morning with the Hazelburn 9 Sauternes which really played out well (and I guess could still be considered a Single Malt Scotch).

IMG_8622.thumb.jpg.9cc60e8895d7ec2413e38650767ca551.jpg

IMG_8623.thumb.jpg.fffea4444b56f8d5478d50b53daae856.jpg

IMG_8625.thumb.jpg.42ac457559d93559cf9efea2344e603b.jpg

Honestly, I am not much of a Scotch fan.   However, in honor of the Olympics, I decided to crack a half full bottle of Magellan 21 year for a taste.  I haven't opened it in a few years.  I keep it on hand for new whiskey drinkers who want to try scotch.  It was a gift several years ago.  After a decent pour of 1792 Single Barrel, this milder whisky isn't too bad as a night cap.  I don't feel as guilty as I would if I had opted for a BP pour of bourbon.  I feel so refined.  Now, if only, I could find my jar of Grey Poupon.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Honestly, I am not much of a Scotch fan.   However, in honor of the Olympics, I decided to crack a half full bottle of Magellan 21 year for a taste. 

Macallan?

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Feeling nostalgic tonight. Very enjoyable-- forgot how much I like the GOP12.

That is indeed reaching deep into the "WABAC" machine! :D

2014 Lagavulin 12 yr cask strength LE

Just opened this today as I'm trying to plow through some heavily peated bottles to thin the heard so to speak

Also opened a old Longrow 18 and the cork broke, oh well, peat hides the taste of those tiny cork particles

• I like it 1

Just cracked a Deanston Virgin Oak I picked up on a whim, I generally like Deanston and always wondered how this one was it's cheap enough plus it was a gift pack with a couple glasses. Honestly kind of impressed for the money this one would be tough to beat. 

Just cracked a Deanston Virgin Oak I picked up on a whim, I generally like Deanston and always wondered how this one was it's cheap enough plus it was a gift pack with a couple glasses. Honestly kind of impressed for the money this one would be tough to beat. 

I almost picked up one of those today for just under $30 based on some other comments I’ve read or heard, but the last low priced NAS scotch that I bought in that price range based on “good for the money” comments left me unimpressed, so I passed on it. Maybe I’ll give it another look next time I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.