What Dram are you enjoying? Winter 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm not sure where to put this, but I'm enjoying some redbreast 12 year cask strength. My favorite ls doesn't have anymore, I should have bought more when I had the chance. 1c7ca8709377b8f6108893fed996a7d6.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

A legitimately enjoyable and supremely affordable CS (Deanston?) from Alexander Murray, for the $45 I went against my better judgement and picked this one up, happily surprised.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:34 PM, reeko said:

I'm not sure where to put this, but I'm enjoying some redbreast 12 year cask strength. My favorite ls doesn't have anymore, I should have bought more when I had the chance. 1c7ca8709377b8f6108893fed996a7d6.jpg

Seriously great whiskey there, for my tastes.  Top 5 category.  Increased pricing has made it prohibitive to pick up at my leisure, but still worth the buy when I want it.

• I like it 1

Seriously great whiskey there, for my tastes.  Top 5 category.  Increased pricing has made it prohibitive to pick up at my leisure, but still worth the buy when I want it.
I completely agree! One of my favorite whiskeys! Do you know of any others that are similar to this one? I cant seem to find any..

14 hours ago, reeko said:

I completely agree! One of my favorite whiskeys! Do you know of any others that are similar to this one? I cant seem to find any..

At cask strength and 12 years old Redbreast is pretty much the only game in town for readily available single pot still Irish whiskey. Fortunately it is also excellent! Powers Johns Lane and Yellow Spot are similar distillate but with somewhat different barrel management but neither are at cask strength. PJL may be a bit cheaper, maybe between Redbreast 12 and 12CS, but doesn't seem to be quite as readily available in my area. And Yellow Spot is even more expensive than the RB 12CS

At cask strength and 12 years old Redbreast is pretty much the only game in town for readily available single pot still Irish whiskey. Fortunately it is also excellent! Powers Johns Lane and Yellow Spot are similar distillate but with somewhat different barrel management but neither are at cask strength. PJL may be a bit cheaper, maybe between Redbreast 12 and 12CS, but doesn't seem to be quite as readily available in my area. And Yellow Spot is even more expensive than the RB 12CS
I'll definitely have to check those two out. I find that I only really know about 2 Irish whiskeys. Redbreast and Jamesons, I really enjoy both. The other ones I haven't really tried.

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll definitely be checking them out. I love trying new brands. If you have any more let me know.

Wanting something a little different tonight, I poured some 9-1/2 yr old Signatory Strathisla cask strength. Getting black licorice notes with it tonight, which is really growing on me. Yes, it's kind of young, but today it's working just fine for me.

I saw it for $93 yesterday. Blew my mind. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cool 1978 Mannochmore IB courtesy of Auracom 

9FD993FC-342D-43B4-BBC7-8CE0B3B0F410.jpeg

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 1

I saw it for $93 yesterday. Blew my mind. [emoji20]

Blew your mind in a good or bad way? It's about $110 here. I lucked out and get it on sale for about $70.

Blew your mind in a good or bad way? It's about $110 here. I lucked out and get it on sale for about $70.  

No. In a “didn’t I buy my first bottle of this for $55 a few years back?” Kind of way.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

No. In a “didn’t I buy my first bottle of this for $55 a few years back?” Kind of way.

And at this rate it will be "Didn't I buy my first . . . and apparently last . . . bottle of this for $55 a few years back?"  :(  It is damn nice whiskey - and to each their own - but if I had $90+ and was looking to spend it on a single bottle, this wouldn't be it.  At $70 . . . I might grab another just to amend my initial statement ;) 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

And at this rate it will be "Didn't I buy my first . . . and apparently last . . . bottle of this for $55 a few years back?"  :(  It is damn nice whiskey - and to each their own - but if I had $90+ and was looking to spend it on a single bottle, this wouldn't be it.  At $70 . . . I might grab another just to amend my initial statement ;) 

Yep, pretty much the reason I’ve purchased more Powers John Lane lately, when the Irish bug hits...Oh wait, it’s March...So, that’s what I’ve been feeling lately...:D

• I like it 1

This is like a 55.6% ABV take on Drambuie without the added sugar, but with an even more impressive mouthfeel. The ultimate single malt Rusty Nail.

IMG_8773.thumb.JPG.0de8b8df7b39aa0a323cf7b1144c4b36.JPG

• I like it 2

I hope in a few years we don't see the prices go up even more. I would hate seeing this closer to $200 instead. I don't want to think that today's pricing is cheap...

Yeah. It’s getting to the point where age stated Irish is up there with age stated Japanese as the most expensive. I sadly drink a lot less of both now.

Highland Park Full Volume this one really opened up really digging it right now

Opened up a CB Phemenology and Spice Tree Extravaganza.  The STE is much better IMO.  The Phemenology has a funky/dirty/bitter finish that's not really my bag.  I picked up a second STE for the bunker.

Never had a Knockdhu-- far more challenging than expected, which is a good thing.

IMG_8845.thumb.jpg.faf797f832c116fc3cd4682abd4be84e.jpg

• I like it 1

Spice Tree. Second pour from the bottle since I opened it a month or two ago. Unfortunately it brings memories of the times I couldn't stand Scotch, can't say why.  I find it overly sweet with nothing else to balance the flavor, pretty one dimensional and flat. This bottle will probably be donated to an upcoming college party. Bad first impression with Compass Box.

Next up on the dance card. This was a tough bottle to come up with-- but well worth the effort. 57.3% and deep with an "if loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be right" sensibility.

IMG_8847.thumb.jpg.61611669625137303494a6292402aa2f.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.