Lottery

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

28 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Fascinating that the WL12 is cheaper than OWA.  Frankly, even tho it's going to be cold, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Sazerac Company gonna Sazerac Company!

• I like it 3

On 12/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, bourbon-n00b said:

I had that high on my list but the ECBP was #1.  I've never seen one in the shelves around here 

That's because you are not looking in the right places. I haven't hunted much this year due to working from home, but in the past I have found it at a few places. Last year I saw over 20 bottles of it in one store.

3 hours ago, parksmart said:

Sazerac Company gonna Sazerac Company!

State min in MI jumped from 39 to 49 for OWA in the past year or so I believe

Pretty nice  prices on most of those items. It’s nice to see a place actually have BTAC at MSRP. I was lucky when I got my 2020 WLW as it was at MSRP of $99.99. 

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Double C's said:

That's because you are not looking in the right places. I haven't hunted much this year due to working from home, but in the past I have found it at a few places. Last year I saw over 20 bottles of it in one store.

Could be.  I've stuck pretty much with Wine and Cheese Place this year, with rare visits to Total Wine, and it's never been there for me.  I won't shop at Randall's or Friar Tuck's and Dogwood never seems to be convenient.

Oh well, my loss I suppose.

For anyone who followed my last few posts in the “what did you buy” thread, I may have spoken too soon on being done spending for the year. I just entered a lottery for top customers at my local, consisting of the following: PVW15, WLW, GTS, THH, VWR Lot B, ORVW 10, W12, Blanton’s Gold, Michter’s 10 yr rye, and Mister Sam Tribute Whiskey. 

Some are only a single bottle, others there are multiple. Effectively, you can enter for only certain items or the whole field, but the more items you include in your entry, the higher your chances are of getting something. I put in an entry for the whole field, but I don’t know how I’ll feel if I wind up with the Michter’s (not a huge rye fan generally, and know nothing of this product) or Mister Sam (sounds really good, but would exceed my previous most-expensive-bottle purchase by A LOT). Presuming all of the entrants go for the whole field, I calculate I have about a 40% chance of getting something, based on the number of people who were offered entry, and total number of bottles available. If some people only enter for certain items, that would slightly improve my chances on the others. 

Anyway, I’m still feeling lucky, so I’m buckled in for the ride!

Edited by BigSkyDrams
Typo
  • I like it 4

Cheers and best of luck to ya’ Sky. ? Be sure to let us know how things turn out.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers and best of luck to ya’ Sky. ? Be sure to let us know how things turn out.

Biba! Joe

Thanks! I got all jealous when I heard about your WLW, so that’s right at the top of my list... ok, actually, it’s just behind the PVW15 ?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

For anyone who followed my last few posts in the “what did you buy” thread, I may have spoken too soon on being done spending for the year. I just entered a lottery for top customers at my local, consisting of the following: PVW15, WLW, GTS, THH, VWR Lot B, ORVW 10, W12, Blanton’s Gold, Michter’s 10 yr rye, and Mister Sam Tribute Whiskey. 

Some are only a single bottle, others there are multiple. Effectively, you can enter for only certain items or the whole field, but the more items you include in your entry, the higher your chances are of getting something. I put in an entry for the whole field, but I don’t know how I’ll feel if I wind up with the Michter’s (not a huge rye fan generally, and know nothing of this product) or Mister Sam (sounds really good, but would exceed my previous most-expensive-bottle purchase by A LOT). Presuming all of the entrants go for the whole field, I calculate I have about a 40% chance of getting something, based on the number of people who were offered entry, and total number of bottles available. If some people only enter for certain items, that would slightly improve my chances on the others. 

Anyway, I’m still feeling lucky, so I’m buckled in for the ride!

Ive found its about 1 win per 20 attempts. Hope this is the one!

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Ive found its about 1 win per 20 attempts. Hope this is the one!

Thanks! This has already been my most successful bourbon-acquisition month since I got into it several years ago, so if my number gets called in this one I might start to feel a bit spoiled . . .  and if not, I’ll just take my recent good fortune on other bottles as a welcome consolation prize, and get myself back in the “bourbon zen” mentality. 

• I like it 3

On 12/15/2020 at 4:36 PM, bourbon-n00b said:

Could be.  I've stuck pretty much with Wine and Cheese Place this year, with rare visits to Total Wine, and it's never been there for me.  I won't shop at Randall's or Friar Tuck's and Dogwood never seems to be convenient.

If TWCP gets any it goes into their lotteries, so you will never be able to by it off the shelf. I have never heard of our Total Wine's having ECBP. The handful of them that I have bought did not come from any store in STL county for what its worth.

Many years ago, Friar Tuck’s stores used to be pretty decent places to shop. Operative phrase here, “used to be”.  I made yearly trips to the Collinsville/Edwardsville area, then it was the Bloomington/Peoria area. I  tried to make time for a stop at Friar Tuck’s and possibly a few other other liquor stores in those areas. My last visit to a Friar Tuck’s a couple years go (Peoria) was extremely disappointing. Pappy, BTAC and other LE’s used to sit on their shelves at pretty much msrp. Not any more. Now it’s Tater City. Sad but true.

Joe

• I like it 2

I feel like I should go buy some lottery tickets, because I just got the confirmation email: I get the WLW! Going to pick it up tonight!  ? ?

• I like it 8

6 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I feel like I should go buy some lottery tickets, because I just got the confirmation email: I get the WLW! Going to pick it up tonight!  ? ?

I only gave you a thumbs up because there isn't a bird to flip you...?

• I like it 7

13 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Congratulations!  What a great win!  

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I say this in a sincerely friendly way....”I HATE YOU!”

?

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Nice!!  As an old poker buddy used to say anytime when I Rivered...”Joey, you’re luckier than a dog with 4 dicks..”???. Take it while you can get it!! ?

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice!!  As an old poker buddy used to say anytime when I Rivered...”Joey, you’re luckier than a dog with 4 dicks..”???. Take it while you can get it!! ?

I’m going to have to add that expression to my vocabulary ? 

• I like it 2

On 12/16/2020 at 8:06 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

Thanks! This has already been my most successful bourbon-acquisition month since I got into it several years ago, so if my number gets called in this one I might start to feel a bit spoiled . . .  and if not, I’ll just take my recent good fortune on other bottles as a welcome consolation prize, and get myself back in the “bourbon zen” mentality. 

I had a LE season like that a couple of years ago.  Won something big in every lottery I entered.  Got some stellar heavyweights from my locals. And even stumbled across some dumb luck "right place, right time" walk-in purchases.

We call years like that "being in The Zone"  Lol ?

• I like it 2

I've never chased down the lotteries; and have been out of the loop this year due to pulling myself out of the bottle hoarding game during the pandemic.  As such, I missed the excitement that has been buzzing around my buddy's stores this year.  Over the summer there was a line 80 deep for an Eagle Rare pick.  Yikes!!  

Since I was able to get in on a couple of single barrel gems this week; by virtue of my spend, I was also entered into their raffle to buy Weller Full Proof at MSRP.  I had 20 tickets and three of them hit!!  Been wanting to try this bottling but had consigned it to the realm of fairy tales and unicorns.  

Another raffle next week from the same lot of tix, so it looks like it will be a Weller-Full Boxer Day!!  

I'm not a generally lucky kinda guy, so I'll take this scrap from Provenance. 

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, Guss West said:

Over the summer there was a line 80 deep for an Eagle Rare pick.  Yikes!!  

I walked into Kroger a couple of weeks ago & there was an ER10 on the shelve...Thanks ?

Oh well, my loss I suppose

You ever been on a tropical vacation where in the first two days you see an occasional gecko on the path in front of you, but by the end of the week you are seeing the damn things everywhere you look?  

ECBP is like that, there are three pretty sizable national releases per year so stay  patient on this one. You will almost certainly run into a bottle on shelf at some point. After that they will start appearing everywhere! 

• I like it 2

On 12/19/2020 at 1:01 AM, Kepler said:

I had a LE season like that a couple of years ago.  Won something big in every lottery I entered.  Got some stellar heavyweights from my locals. And even stumbled across some dumb luck "right place, right time" walk-in purchases.

We call years like that "being in The Zone"  Lol ?

This was my year of "Being in The Zone" for Lotteries and just dumb luck.  Here are some pics of my  lottery acquisitions:

Batch 1:

2020 Lottery Batch 1.jpg

Batch 2:

2020 Lottery Batch 2.jpg

Batch 3:

2020 Lottery Batch 3.jpg

Batch 4:

2020 Lottery Batch 4.jpg

There were duplicates of PVW15, GTS, and VWFRR13, I swear!  BUT, notice NO WLW.  ?

I will never see a season like this and, therefore, I'm done with chasing PVWs and BTACs since I'll probably never see its like again.  I believe I've reached my state of Bourbon zen.  Most of the bottles have gone to friends who are bourbon fans for what I paid for them.  Some have been gifted for Christmas.  None will see the secondary markets 'cause I don't like those mother f*#^kers.  I am truly blessed with good fortune and good friends , especially those on SB.com, during this truly otherwise crappy year.

Happy New Year y'all.  ?

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling and grammar
  • I like it 16

35 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

This was my year of "Being in The Zone" for Lotteries and just dumb luck.  Here are some pics of my  lottery acquisitions:

Batch 1:

2020 Lottery Batch 1.jpg

Batch 2:

2020 Lottery Batch 2.jpg

Batch 3:

2020 Lottery Batch 3.jpg

Batch 4:

2020 Lottery Batch 4.jpg

There were duplicates of PVW15, GTS, and VWFRR13, I swear!  BUT, notice NO WLW.  ?

I will never see a season like this and, therefore, I'm done with chasing PVWs and BTACs since I'll probably never see its like again.  I believe I've reached my state of Bourbon zen.  Most of the bottles have gone to friends who are bourbon fans for what I paid for them.  Some have been gifted for Christmas.  None will see the secondary markets 'cause I don't like those mother f*#^kers.  I am truly blessed with good fortune and good friends , especially those on SB.com, during this truly otherwise crappy year.

Happy New Year y'all.  ?

You could put all the lotteries I've ever been in togwther and I've never gotten close to that. Wow!! Just...wow. Congrats and good on you for sharing it forward. 

• I like it 5

59 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Batch 1:

2020 Lottery Batch 1.jpg

Batch 2:

2020 Lottery Batch 2.jpg

Batch 3:

2020 Lottery Batch 3.jpg

Batch 4:

2020 Lottery Batch 4.jpg

Happy New Year 

Jiminy Christmas!!!

Wow GeeTen, just drooling over here.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.