Hello All! Newbie Here!

scotchyjr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It is interesting to remember that most bourbon consumed is consumed with Coke or another mixer. While few in this forum drink it that way , one distiller helped me put on a tasting for a group. That distiller brought mixers for those folks who really wanted to see how these bourbons might taste in Coke.

While I don't suggest I should pour some of my $50 a bottle bourbon into Coke it is a realization that most in the U.S. take their (usually much cheaper) bourbon that way. Before I really learned to appreciate bourbon (many years ago) I finished off the remainder of my bottle of Turkey rare breed by drinking it in Coke -- the way I was used to drinking it.

Last weekend I took nearly every drop of my bourbon, among bourbon loving friends, neat. When at home I drink most over shaved ice. I taste neat.

I do agree that in a public forum such as this it is good to help people understand how many real bourbon lovers like us consume bourbon (straight, diluted, rocks, etc.) while not condemning those who might try anything.

And now I really must get home and try the olive and lemon way of drinking bourbon. wink.gif

Drinking spirits over 100 proof neat makes no sense in my opinion.

I respect your opinion Gary, but for me, it just starts getting good at 100 proof lol.gif

I'm not accusing anyone in this community of that sin, but it is committed regularly in the wider society

I won't dissagree with you there. As a matter of fact, my soon to be brother-in-law was bragging a couple weeks ago how he only drinks his whiskey neat. Turns out all he has ever drank was beam and makers and the like. Well he was introduced to some Stagg '03 one night. He was whimpering like a baby after a shot of that neat. I'll admit that that was a bit of posturing on my part smilielol.gif

I mostly drink anything up to 100 proof neat, but I almost always at least try it with a few drops of water, too. Whichever way I like it best, that's how I drink it. Most wind up being drunk neat. Stagg gets diluted 3:2. But, the one thing I don't much like is ice. I don't drink a glass fast enough to keep it from melting, and the melting over time (say, 20-30 minutes) constantly changes the proof as I drink.

Well, I always drunk my scotch neat. Putting ice in it or anything else makes it taste horrible to me. I'm sure my taste buds can handle anything over 100%, I just don't want to have it all come back up in the morning. I only drink one or two drams anyway.

I know this, I'm beginning to think all my scotch is horrible. All of it is just so dang light I don't enjoy it one bit. It's funny, I read on another message board that a certain person prefers scotch to bourbon because of all the different flavors of scotch and lack of flavor of bourbon. I'm the opposite. I simply don't taste any flavor in scotch at all, except the Ardbeg 10 I have, and that stuff tastes horrible. Jack Daniels has flavor to me. And so does this Elijah Craig. Someone told me that Dalwhinnie 15 scotch is yummy. When I tried it, it was another dang light scotch. Ugh. If I want yummy, I'll take the Elijah Craig or Jack Daniels. Or maybe the Wild Turkey 101% which I'm trying tonight.

Hey, are there any health benefits from drinking whiskey? Wine is supposed to be good for you, what about bourbon?

On the point of finding well-flavored single malts, there are a number. Too many malts lack strong flavor today because of avoiding use of well-peated barley malt, which historically defined Scotch whisky. But there are still many choices.

Try Lagavulin, or Talisker, or Bowmore Darkest. Like Ardbeg these are Islays (stressing the use of peated - smoked - malt) but they have a character of their own. In non-Islays, try Dalmore Cigar malt, or Glenmorangie Port Cask or ... there are countless choices.

And there are Scotch blends with a big flavor too, say, Teacher's, or Johnnie Walker Red label.

Scotch can show big taste. You have to seek them out.

Gary

From the time I went to work this morning until I just got home , you guys have quite a discussion going here. I will dance gingerly around the fray. No point taking sides and further polarizing this issue. I am drinking a Pour of Barrel Proof <font color="red"> Haz Mat</font> ( For the uninitiated, 2003 George T Stagg at 142.7 proof) The only water added was from the Kentucky River about 15 years ago.

In light of this discussion, it appears that what I'm doing is neither correct or incorrect. It is the way I prefer it, And I guess that means something to me. I paid for this ticket, so it is my choice. Drink yours any way you please. Enjoy what you are drinking. That's about it . toast.gif

I am drinking a Pour of Barrel Proof <font color="red">Haz Mat</font> ( For the uninitiated, 2003 George T Stagg at 142.7 proof) The only water added was from the Kentucky River about 15 years ago.

I hope you're wearing your seat belt, Bobby. And stay away from open flames! cool.gif

bs.gif Once again, additional evidence that Stagg is the great lubricant of the mind. falling.gif Perhaps the forum should dispense a bottle to each aspiring Novice grin.gif to encourage their, um, enlightenment in the ways of all things bourbon? Yeah, that's it. smirk.gif

Hey, if you're giving away free bottles of Stagg to the unenlightened, all I can say is, "Umm Duh Buzz."

I don't think Jim would be willing to part with his beloved bunker of Stagg so freely seeing as though the supply is so short. As kind and benevolent as he is, this would be too much strain on his pocketbook and might just plunge our fearless leader into some form of Stagg-withdrawal dimensia.

However, I do think that Stagg should be the required benchmark for the 'put up or shut up' reaction we sometimes feel necessary when some know-it-all bourbon 'expert' decides to thump his hairless chest and proclaim that he/she thinks that anything but neat is an unforgivable inequity. No bantering of words is needed, just two words: TRY THIS. soapbox.gif

The HazMat will do one of two things, either open his/her eyes or grow hair on the oft' thumped chest.

lol.gif

Hey, are there any health benefits from drinking whiskey? Wine is supposed to be good for you, what about bourbon?

I always heard that bourbon is wonderful for expectant mothers in that it makes your babies come out naked. skep.gif

Two drinks good, more is not. I have never been able to do the two drink limit. My doctor has said five drinks are better than smoking, I'll go with that. yum.gif

I know this, I'm beginning to think all my scotch is horrible. All of it is just so dang light I don't enjoy it one bit. It's funny, I read on another message board that a certain person prefers scotch to bourbon because of all the different flavors of scotch and lack of flavor of bourbon. I'm the opposite. I simply don't taste any flavor in scotch at all, except the Ardbeg 10 I have, and that stuff tastes horrible. Jack Daniels has flavor to me. And so does this Elijah Craig. Someone told me that Dalwhinnie 15 scotch is yummy. When I tried it, it was another dang light scotch. Ugh. If I want yummy, I'll take the Elijah Craig or Jack Daniels. Or maybe the Wild Turkey 101% which I'm trying tonight.

As someone who loves Scotch as much as or more than Bourbon, there's plenty of flavor to be found in both. You may not like the flavor of one or the other, or only the flavor of certain examples of the broad genres, but to say one or the other is lacking in flavor or light seems more than a bit broad.

Welcome to the Board, and I hope you continue your exploration of both Bourbon and Scotch, as there's plenty to commend both types of spirit, and wonderful diversity in style in both catagories.

Oh, and if you ever pass St. Louis way, I'll be happy to dispose of your Ardbeg 10 for you. grin.gif

Cheers,

Dave

BTW, I (like many others) am quite fond of Stagg neat. yum.gif What I would use for the chest beaters is Booker's! stickpoke.gif

Actually, an embarassing story on myself re this whole drinking high proof bourbons neat. I'm sitting in Booker's kitchen many years ago and he pours us each some Booker's and offers water. I, of course, refuse (thinking that's simply what one does) and he proceeds to cut his by about 1/3. No higher authority.

Uhg, no more Wild Turkey 101% for me. I pored my self about 1oz of this stuff without watering it down. I figured since I can drink Jack D. and Elijah Craig so easily I wouldn't have much trouble drinking this Wild Turkey 101%. Oh, was I wrong! I went to bed around 2am, then woke up around 3:30am with a bad upset stomach. Of course the only cure was sticking my head in a paper bag. It came back up not once, but three times! All from around 1oz! Heck, I can drink 1/3 of Jack D. and not get sick. And even if I would get sick it would only come back up once, not three times! So I had about one and a half-hours of sleep, then off to work for a horrible day. All from about 1oz. lol.

No more 100%+ bourbon for me. I guess I will have to pass up any bottle of George T. Stagg I may find.

As in everything, stuff affects us differently. I'm not a real fan of super-high premium bourbons drunk neat, either, but I find I can handle -- and prefer -- anything up to say 107 proof without dilution. I like Wild Turkey 101 neat, and have never had a problem with it. On the other hand, the last time I donated blood I had a minor heart attack the next day, and though I'm assured by medical professionals the two were unrelated, I haven't given blood again. So, I understand the relationship fear you might have between the bourbon and the ailment.

There's a similar story in this month's Bon Appetite magazine by a guest writer. The story is mostly about the "Bourbon Trail" and where to eat and drink while there. The author also visited with Booker Noe and and they had a drink, poured by Booker, diluted to approximately 60 proof.

Second note....Bourbon is getting a lot of favorable press these days....the NYT's, Money magazine, Bon Appetite, what's next? Time or Cosmo?

Randy B.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.