Henry McKenna BIB

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Still $29-$32 here

I really hadn’t paid attention until recently, and then started noticing that most stores had started pricing it at $34.99 or higher. There are still a few exceptions that have it priced around $30, but I think the sub $30 days are numbered.
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I really hadn’t paid attention until recently, and then started noticing that most stores had started pricing it at $34.99 or higher. There are still a few exceptions that have it priced around $30, but I think the sub $30 days are numbered.

And, the number probably is .... Zero!     It's been, and in most markets likely still is, one of the best bargains in Whiskey for a very long time.

• I like it 1

On 11/17/2018 at 3:32 PM, Bbstout said:

Has anyone noticed that they redesigned the label and added a cork top? They kept the 10 year statement. Definitely a bright spot with all of the overpriced age stated Bourbons out there and age statements dropping. The best deal out there IMO at $22 a bottle.

This would be a steal at $22 a bottle.  The lowest I've seen it (when I've been able to find it) has been $35.

I hadn't really been paying attention as it's always been available in the county stores and often on sale.  Wouldn't you know it...it's sold out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 bottles I bought on-line a couple of years ago, and will be getting to some in the near future. It is now available around here.

Meh...one I’ll gladly sit on the sidelines  and watch as more bourbon boom craziness ensues. Some complexity and age sure. But it’s no secret that HH is able to terrifically craft different tastes with the same mash bill for its brands. And McKenna has always been my least favorite. It lacks the  HH stone fruit notes that soften the menthol, herbalness and wood char always lurking in HH iterations. I don’t think it’s a fluke that it  lacked popularity and still sat on shelves in boom time until it finally won an award that Fred hyped. But now many will convince themselves otherwise. 

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, T Comp said:

Meh...one I’ll gladly sit on the sidelines  and watch as more bourbon boom craziness ensues. Some complexity and age sure. But it’s no secret that HH is able to terrifically craft different tastes with the same mash bill for its brands. And McKenna has always been my least favorite. It lacks the  HH stone fruit notes that soften the menthol, herbalness and wood char always lurking in HH iterations. I don’t think it’s a fluke that it  lacked popularity and still sat on shelves in boom time until it finally won an award that Fred hyped. But now many will convince themselves otherwise. 

Aside from their other BIB’s, I’m not much of a fan of most HH products. I was really excited when I found my first bottle of Henry McKenna, and could hardly wait till I got home so I could try It. I won’t say that I was totally disappointed, but it was very underwhelming to me to say the least. I thought maybe it was a bad batch, so I bought another bottle a few months later. Same deal. So I’m with Thad on this one. McKenna is also my least favorite. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Aside from their other BIB’s, I’m not much of a fan of most HH products. I was really excited when I found my first bottle of Henry McKenna, and could hardly wait till I got home so I could try It. I won’t say that I was totally disappointed, but it was very underwhelming to me to say the least. I thought maybe it was a bad batch, so I bought another bottle a few months later. Same deal. So I’m with Thad on this one. McKenna is also my least favorite. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

Im with you guys. Just didnt like it. Wont miss it.

Biba! Joe

Im with you guys. Just didnt like it. Wont miss it.

That’s why they have 51 flavors of ice cream (or something like that) at Baskin & Robbins. They have enough flavors that everyone can find something that they like. I’m a fan of HH, but then again I’m a fan of all of the big boys and many of the smaller distilleries too. Of course they all have some brands that I don’t care for, but I like many of them. Henry McKenna BIB is a favorite everyday drinker for me, especially when I run across a honey barrel. I know Joe is a big fan of WSR, and I’m not. So, as the old sayin’ goes...different strokes for different folks. Cheers guys!
  • I like it 5

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

That’s why they have 51 flavors of ice cream (or something like that) at Baskin & Robbins. They have enough flavors that everyone can find something that they like. I’m a fan of HH, but then again I’m a fan of all of the big boys and many of the smaller distilleries too. Of course they all have some brands that I don’t care for, but I like many of them. Henry McKenna BIB is a favorite everyday drinker for me, especially when I run across a honey barrel. I know Joe is a big fan of WSR, and I’m not. So, as the old sayin’ goes...different strokes for different folks. Cheers guys!

Im sure I got a bad barrel.. this many people cant be that wrong. Maybe i’ll get to try a honey barrel at some point  but for now i’m relieved that i dont have to waste any energy lamenting the availability or price increase. I think it is thhe only heaven hill product that I havent enjoyed.. 

• I like it 1

On 12/22/2018 at 12:04 PM, T Comp said:

Thad, A very insightful post.  I appreciate your thoughts.

I have liked the bottles that I have had, some more than others, but it is never one that I really sought out.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, T Comp said:

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

It's definitely inconsistent.  HH obviously doesn't spend much time actually physically tasting their lower end single barrel products (EWSiB included).  Hence the low price compared to, say, RRSiB which obviously benefits from tasters monitoring the barrels.

That said, I've tasted a private store pick barrel of McKenna that knocked my socks off, and would likely yours too.  Too bad they don't make it anymore but glad I had the foresight to grab a few spare bottles while I still could

Stopped at a few shops today on my way back home and noticed that there were no bottles of this to be found anywhere. The owners of a couple stores said it is an intentional shortage to create demand. I think one of them even eyerolled like my eleven year old daughter. Seems like most everyone is getting tired of this song and dance.

• 1 month later...
Seemed to be back on the shelves today at 4 or 5 places just like before.  Still $32.99.

It’s over $35 in most stores in my area now.

Around here, I think I saw it at $35-$40. Have not bought a bottle yet, still enjoying what I got on-line, before it showed up around here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.