What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

The real downside of adult beverages being off limits for me at the moment is that I couldn't have a pour after doing the same, on the plus side mother nature has been pretty easy on us this year. 

Being the optimist, I hope the ground hogs got it right this year!  Also hope you get to the point where you can partake again quickly and without any complication!

• I like it 1

Went to Bonefish Grill for dinner for Mrs. Clueby's birthday (her choice). Had a smoked old fashioned.  I've had versions of this before but this was by FAR the smokiest I've ever tried. The drink itself was just ok. Made with WR.

I poured some water in the glass over the ice after the drink was gone and it still tasted smoky. The empty snifter smelled smoky a half hour later. 

We had a nightcap of some ET BIB after getting home with our dessert we took to go.  With the sweet dessert the ET had too much bitter oak to it. I don't get that on a clean/fresh palate.

20190212_183512-784x1613.jpg

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

Went to Bonefish Grill for dinner for Mrs. Clueby's birthday (her choice). Had a smoked old fashioned.  I've had versions of this before but this was by FAR the smokiest I've ever tried. The drink itself was just ok. Made with WR.

I poured some water in the glass over the ice after the drink was gone and it still tasted smoky. The empty snifter smelled smoky a half hour later. 

We had a nightcap of some ET BIB after getting home with our dessert we took to go.  With the sweet dessert the ET had too much bitter oak to it. I don't get that on a clean/fresh palate.

20190212_183512-784x1613.jpg

I had this last Friday. I totally agree on the smoke, but the drink was just average. There is a place called George's here, that sends the drinks to the table on a disk covered with a glass bell. They bring it to the table with rosemary, still burning. This drink is delightful & the bartender has his old fashioned, down beautifully. The only problem is that they have no happy hour...

I’m having a Blend this evening. No, not what y’all think. ;) A little EC mixed with a little EW BIB in the glass. Not bad. Not bad at all. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^What the hell is wrong with you!?!? 

Have you been taken over by an alien life form!?!!!!!?

:lol:

Ya’ just never know do ya’ ?    :o   “Nano Nano” 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

^^^^^What the hell is wrong with you!?!? 

Have you been taken over by an alien life form!?!!!!!?

:lol:

Actually seems like a really good idea, a little extra proof to EC, some of the wood influence and extra age of EC, I may need to give this a try.

Opened the newly acquired Revival and I have to say the comments on the balance and complexity of this pour are spot on. Glad to have one and while it is certainly not a daily pour, I will enjoy it as the change-up special occasion bottle I was hoping it would be before I bought it. Well done Mr Russell.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a Blend this evening. No, not what y’all think. ;) A little EC mixed with a little EW BIB in the glass. Not bad. Not bad at all. 

14 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Actually seems like a really good idea, a little extra proof to EC, some of the wood influence and extra age of EC, I may need to give this a try

That sounds like a good one.  I'll try it next time I have a EC open.  But try a 50/50 blend of EW BiB and HMK BiB.  I think you will be amazed! 

Picked this up yesterday and opened it last night. It's good, but I am trying to decide if I want to go back and pick up it's siblings that I left on the shelf or save the funds for other bottles I want to get this year.

image.thumb.png.759293bb36a15339e3bbf8b2e24d740b.png 

Blast from the past for me last night.  Hadn’t bought a bottle, or had a pour, of Pure Kentucky XO in many years.  I remember enjoying it in my early years of drinking bourbon.  Pure Kentucky XO and some of the other KBD line have made their return in NJ recently.  Johnny Drum, Kentucky Vintage, etc.  Anyway, for $35, I figured I’d give a new bottle a shot.  

Pretty good, actually.  Some nice oak, toffee, cinnamon.  A little funk.  I was worried this would be a waste of money, but I am ok with this purchase.

ADB776AE-3473-4C43-B7E3-98BB31B739CF.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 3

57 minutes ago, Double C's said:

Picked this up yesterday and opened it last night. It's good, but I am trying to decide if I want to go back and pick up it's siblings that I left on the shelf or save the funds for other bottles I want to get this year.

OE 101 7ry has been discontinued in favor of the barrel proof so, if you want a back up(s) don't put it off too long...

Traveling on Valentines Day didn’t go over well with the wife, but dining with an old bearded guy aged ten summers with the Modern Lovers “Roadrunner” playing in the background is hard to beat. 

E6965517-9A32-4F0B-861A-95ACCFB0357B.thumb.jpeg.8c8b07d698885c0e1edfc965d2c42f3a.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Working on a flask of Rhetoric 25 while not driving back from a 6 hour meeting.

How is it, I left a row on the shelf at $135, I was tempted to buy one for a buddy for his 40th. 

Longest four day work week ever included two 15 hour days. Called for a nice three fingers of standard BT to begin with.

• I like it 1

Opened a bottle of OWA this evening after passing on a new bottle today because of the price hike. That was followed by some KC Cask Strength Rye which was good, just not as good as I expected it to be. Maybe it will open up over time.

Decided to have a small pour of WT101 8yr that was decanted into a Mason jar from a 70s era WT decanter. I’m aware of the lead ceramic glaze leaching concerns, but decided to risk it to taste some whiskey that’s been around almost as long as I have.

Anyway, it was pretty darn good stuff. Lots of vanilla on the nose with dark chocolate, dark cherry and just the right amount of oak on the palate.

IMG_0050.jpg

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Blast from the past for me last night.  Hadn’t bought a bottle, or had a pour, of Pure Kentucky XO in many years.  I remember enjoying it in my early years of drinking bourbon.  Pure Kentucky XO and some of the other KBD line have made their return in NJ recently.  Johnny Drum, Kentucky Vintage, etc.  Anyway, for $35, I figured I’d give a new bottle a shot.  

Pretty good, actually.  Some nice oak, toffee, cinnamon.  A little funk.  I was worried this would be a waste of money, but I am ok with this purchase.

ADB776AE-3473-4C43-B7E3-98BB31B739CF.jpeg

Underated pour.  This, Kentucky Vintage, & Johnny Drumm are always in my bar. 

• I like it 1

How is it, I left a row on the shelf at $135, I was tempted to buy one for a buddy for his 40th. 

Same. They don’t seem to move here, and there’s a row of them in my local.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.