What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Big pour of RHF.  Our enjoyment of whiskey is a funny thing; a bottle can be great on one day, just meh on another.  Tonight I can't even fathom that this isn't the best bourbon ever bottled.  Nothing special about the setting - long day at work, reheated leftover sloppy joes, closed my eyes and reached into the cabinet to grab whatever - bourbon, rye, scotch.  And it is just a luscious, thick caramel-bomb with rich vanilla, milk chocolate, macadamia nuts . . . love it when the right pour hits at just the right time!

• I like it 6

Finally found one, opened it immediately, and it blew me away. Rarely do they live up to the hype, but this one absolutely does. 

2AA0CD38-2E5B-46FD-95B2-BD64D6F792ED.jpeg

• I like it 6

I’m having a pour from a blind/surprise sample given to me Sunday by galvin0791. It was a surprise, and it is pretty darned good. I opened the folded over label with my initial on it to find out it was Jos Magnus Triple Cask Finished 100 proof. :P  Again, nice job Nancy.  And thank you very much Mike.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Big pour of RHF.  Our enjoyment of whiskey is a funny thing; a bottle can be great on one day, just meh on another.  Tonight I can't even fathom that this isn't the best bourbon ever bottled.  Nothing special about the setting - long day at work, reheated leftover sloppy joes, closed my eyes and reached into the cabinet to grab whatever - bourbon, rye, scotch.  And it is just a luscious, thick caramel-bomb with rich vanilla, milk chocolate, macadamia nuts . . . love it when the right pour hits at just the right time!

Damn, Country!  I can be there in 15 minutes!  Just don’t finish it!  :D

• I like it 2

I bought a plastic pint/375 bottle of Kentucky Gentlemen for $3.29 today in beautiful Pasadena, TX at a store basically in the lot of a an oil refinery. I don’t want want to knock bottom shelf plastic pints of bourbon but this wasn’t for me. Too bad because I like stuff like Evan Williams black label, packaged similarly. To be clear it wasn’t terrible, it’s still straight bourbon and 1/10th the price of some of the craft and other products people rave about. Just didn’t realize it was a Barton bottling. Just not a fan of any of Barton’s standard mash bourbons. I remember reading for a time they where using SW for Kentucky Gentlemen. Those days are obviously long gone.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a pour from a blind/surprise sample given to me Sunday by galvin0791. It was a surprise, and it is pretty darned good. I opened the folded over label with my initial on it to find out it was Jos Magnus Triple Cask Finished 100 proof. :P  Again, nice job Nancy.  And thank you very much Mike.

Biba! Joe

Thanks Joe. Do you know what batch of Triple Cask it is? 

Cheers,

N.

54 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Thanks Joe. Do you know what batch of Triple Cask it is? 

Cheers,

N.

I think I can help out here.  :D

We opened a bottle of Murray Hill for the Super Bowl, and enjoyed that quite well. But, I think I prefer the Triple Cask. Full disclosure here... I’ve had only one pour of the MH, not to mention I’m still very new to the Bourbon world. Both of these may be a bit too complex for my palate, but I wouldn’t kick ‘em outta bed. 

702F6611-217B-47EB-A08F-2314404A2F6B.jpeg

• I like it 2

So, I recently purchased, opened and drank a new WTRB 116.8.  As the drinking came last, I'll put it in this thread... 

Bottom line, I haven't bought a bottle of WTRB since the 03RB, which I still have open and unopened.  Big fan of it.  As some of you likely know, there is some chatter, generally confirmed, that the mid-late 2018 bottles of WTRB (LLG__) have some older bourbon in them.  So, having passed up the 112 and earlier 116 bottles, I figured I'd pick up an LLGH 2018 116.8 to see what it offers.

Not having bought any 112 or earlier 116.8, I can't really compare to what WT has been putting out over the past few years.  But this LLGH RB is quite delicious.  It can definitely use some airtime, but I can say that I am very impressed after a few pours over the past several nights.  It has good flavor, good vanilla and caramel, is quite chewy, and has a very nice finish that lingers.  Take it for what it is worth, but I can get behind some of the hype surrounding these 2018 bottlings of WTRB.  It also drinks well below the 116 proof to me.  Impressive stuff IMHO.

• I like it 4

Killing a 2014 SmB, im gonna miss this. Too lazy to post the picture. Cheers!

Will. 

• I like it 3

I tried a pour from a sample of "bourbon" from a new local distillery. (sourced) I couldn't quite get a handle on it, so my next pour was my 2018 Weller Blend. Ahhhhhhh. Much better. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Killing off a newer bottle of WTKS.  Didn't love it as much as the older WTKS, but this felt like a Willett Pot Still kinda bottle (decent enough whiskey in a really cool bottle).

So, I recently purchased, opened and drank a new WTRB 116.8.  As the drinking came last, I'll put it in this thread... 

Bottom line, I haven't bought a bottle of WTRB since the 03RB, which I still have open and unopened.  Big fan of it.  As some of you likely know, there is some chatter, generally confirmed, that the mid-late 2018 bottles of WTRB (LLG__) have some older bourbon in them.  So, having passed up the 112 and earlier 116 bottles, I figured I'd pick up an LLGH 2018 116.8 to see what it offers.

Not having bought any 112 or earlier 116.8, I can't really compare to what WT has been putting out over the past few years.  But this LLGH RB is quite delicious.  It can definitely use some airtime, but I can say that I am very impressed after a few pours over the past several nights.  It has good flavor, good vanilla and caramel, is quite chewy, and has a very nice finish that lingers.  Take it for what it is worth, but I can get behind some of the hype surrounding these 2018 bottlings of WTRB.  It also drinks well below the 116 proof to me.  Impressive stuff IMHO.

I agree with you, it's really good! I find it to be one of the best barrel proofers for the money. I normally always have a bottle of this in my bar. 101 is a great sipper too.
  • I like it 1

Trying to kill off this bottle of Willet 4 year rye. The second half of the bottle is much better than the first. Thankfully

Big pour of Blanton's is a great cure to a long day. Probably going to follow it up with a Rare Breed or Decades. 

• I like it 1

This is mildly annoying.

IMG_20190206_202946.thumb.jpg.6e2703baba0617e3350bd62278c2515e.jpg

Haha that usually happens to me the first time I open them not after a few pours.

OE7 101. Why do they have to keep taking these great ones away? Would be fine if this was the only thing available to me.

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

OE7 101. Why do they have to keep taking these great ones away? Would be fine if this was the only thing available to me.

Good stuff for sure. I can’t remember if you’ve picked up any of the barrel proof version yet or not, but with barrel inventory likely getting low, I can understand why they discontinued the regular version in favor of the BP version.
  • I like it 1

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Good stuff for sure. I can’t remember if you’ve picked up any of the barrel proof version yet or not, but with barrel inventory likely getting low, I can understand why they discontinued the regular version in favor of the BP version.

I havent yet. Is it just as tasty? You think luxco will be unable to sustain the barrel proof long term? Hadn’t heard that.

11 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I havent yet. Is it just as tasty? You think luxco will be unable to sustain the barrel proof long term? Hadn’t heard that.

Nope, The BP is not just as tasty. It’s much better IMO. Granted I never had them SBS but the BP is a great pour albeit more expensive.

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

I think it’s better because of it being barrel proof, and given that the regular version was selling for close to $30 around here, $39 or less for the BP version is a no-brainer for me. I think they discontinued the OE 7yr 101 for two reasons. The price had been increasing to the point that it was no longer a value purchase so it was sitting on shelves, and I do believe their stock of 7yr old and older barrels may be getting low. I don’t know anything definitive regarding whether Luxco will be able to sustain the barrel proof long term or not, but the largest store owner I do business with has told me he’s hearing that it may not be a long term product...who knows whether there is any truth to that rumor though.

After taking last night off, I got back into the swing of things with a pour of WTRR Loch & K(e) selection. Left one last pour so it will be finished by the end of the week. After that, I moved on the my second to last pour of ECBP A118. The finish on this one still continues to linger.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.