What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chilling out this late afternoon with a stellar pour of PH Promise of Hope. Deatsville's finest.

• I like it 2

For the past several years I start out the  New Year’s eve night with some RR... not a bad bourbon. :rolleyes:

AC126429-B0DF-412C-9F6E-BE1580F01B30.thumb.jpeg.3edb921dedb53068721655233b29f4d1.jpeg

• I like it 10

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Chilling out this late afternoon with a stellar pour of PH Promise of Hope. Deatsville's finest.

I'll see you and raise: two stellar pours of PH Promise of Hope!

IMG_20181231_215708.jpg

• I like it 3

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'll see you and raise: two stellar pours of PH Promise of Hope!

IMG_20181231_215708.jpg

Well played!

Eagle Rare again...this time with Sturgill Simpson on the turntable. Well, his record anyway. He himself would probably get a little dizzy. ?

Happy New Year everyone!

TP

• I like it 3

Hanging with the family tonight including my 10 year old niece who is staying with us for the holiday.  My kids are grown.  Took her to see Mary Poppins and played games.  Everyone winding down so I am enjoying a 3:2 pour of WR:OF1920.  Proofing out at 102.  This is a really nice pour.  The WR tames the OF1920 and the OF1920 spices up the WR.  The family resemblance makes this a great blend.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

First pour of the year may as well be from my favorite distiller of '18. Cheers to a fruitful '19 for you all. 

20190101_152531.jpg

• I like it 4

Did this tonight a blind SBS of a bunch of different WT bottles, WT101 2018, 2010-2011, 8yr, 12yr and tow RR picks both warehouse F picked about the same time and only a floor apart.

I’m thinking I put the results in a different thread.

IMG_5996.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

• I like it 2

Finally getting to this bottle, probably been sitting on it for 2 years, I think they sell it here now. Nice color, pretty nice sweetness, maybe picking up some black cherries, cinnamon, vanilla. Would buy again.

Nd1dQYe.jpg

• I like it 4

Really enjoyed the WTRR10 but if I’m being honest, this WT101 that I followed it with might be just as good if not a little more depth even. WT is REALLY coming into my wheelhouse lately.

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Some OBSQ 4R really hitting the spot tonight.

I just opened a fresh bottle of OESK this evening as well. Love the K yeast and it has been a while since I found some to purchase. Especially a little older since most recent releases have been 9 years or younger.  Cheers.

I just opened a fresh bottle of OESK this evening as well. Love the K yeast and it has been a while since I found some to purchase. Especially a little older since most recent releases have been 9 years or younger.  Cheers.

Nice how old was it? Small sample size but it seems to me like spicy recipes like OESK tend to be put younger but recipes like OESV and OBSV or other more fruity recipes are older? I kinda feel like the spice recipes can handle the younger ages.

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Nice how old was it? Small sample size but it seems to me like spicy recipes like OESK tend to be put younger but recipes like OESV and OBSV or other more fruity recipes are older? I kinda feel like the spice recipes can handle the younger ages.

10 years 4 months. This is actually my first bottle of K yeast in almost 2 years. I have lots of it bunkered, but had a bad experience with my last bottle. I had stumbled upon a bottle of OBSK at Liquor Barn back in Louisville. It was 8 years and 10 months I think and it was the worst bottle of Four Roses I have ever had. By comparison, I have had worse tasting whiskey than this, but for my favorite recipe it was a struggle to drink. Ever since, I have been very hesitant to buy the younger selections of all Four Roses recipes. Was happy to see this one was at least double digits old! 

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying a k-cup of Pacific bold coffee from Costco with some BT Bourbon Cream from the ABC. 

• I like it 2

My last day of break I decided to head to one of my favorite watering holes for lunch while out running errands. Ordered my standard double Bakers from a bartender who apparently only works lunch shifts during the week so I don’t know her nor she me unlike most every bartender in the place. After having to stop her from pouring the “M”akers and emphasizing the “B” in Bakers she grabbed a rocks glass and darn near filled it to the brim. I’d call what she brought me somewhere between a quintuple to sextuple? More maybe even? Felt obliged to point out to her it was a huge pour as apparently she doesn’t serve many double bourbons at lunch. The owner (who I know well) was lurking about and overheard me. He came over and laughed when he saw my pour and proceeded to pay for my whole lunch for trying to help “his girl” out. So bottom line....a whole lotta free Baker’s.

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, BMartin42 said:

My last day of break I decided to head to one of my favorite watering holes for lunch while out running errands. Ordered my standard double Bakers from a bartender who apparently only works lunch shifts during the week so I don’t know her nor she me unlike most every bartender in the place. After having to stop her from pouring the “M”akers and emphasizing the “B” in Bakers she grabbed a rocks glass and darn near filled it to the brim. I’d call what she brought me somewhere between a quintuple to sextuple? More maybe even? Felt obliged to point out to her it was a huge pour as apparently she doesn’t serve many double bourbons at lunch. The owner (who I know well) was lurking about and overheard me. He came over and laughed when he saw my pour and proceeded to pay for my whole lunch for trying to help “his girl” out. So bottom line....a whole lotta free Baker’s.

Some nice Karma right there

• I like it 3

So today offered an opportunity to mix up another legacy (burlap neckband) RR1792/VOB BiB mingle. I like this combo very much, I don't know that I prefer it to VOB BiB (which I emptied and MUST replace on the next KY trip) on its own, but its a good "daily pour" , don't analyze it, just sip and enjoy. Slainte!!

decided to have a pour from my one and only Stagg jr. I opened it upon purchase,  it was quite hot and needed water to approach anything enjoyable, today after several months this second pour is quite nice. I look forward to a Sjr/BT mingle, I think that will be just fantastic!!

Win, win.

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I look forward to a Sjr/BT mingle, I think that will be just fantastic!!

I mixed a bottle of 1:1 SJR:BT back in may. I'm a pretty big fan of it. I may have to pour some tonight. 

Damn, if Baker’s may not be my favorite bottle going these past several months.  Thick, rich, full, and loaded with caramel and chewy leather.  Enough of an oak backbone to hold it all together.  Proof and age are just about perfect for my tastes.  Particularly, with a fine cigar on the patio.  

31B58469-27D6-4B0D-ADCD-726C17CCC541.jpeg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.