What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Damn, if Baker’s may not be my favorite bottle going these past several months.  Thick, rich, full, and loaded with caramel and chewy leather.  Enough of an oak backbone to hold it all together.  Proof and age are just about perfect for my tastes.  Particularly, with a fine cigar on the patio.  

31B58469-27D6-4B0D-ADCD-726C17CCC541.jpeg

I need to replace my bottle. 7-9 years seems to be the sweet spot for Beam products for my taste buddies. I know @Harry in WashDC has been on a Baker’s kick as well. 

For me, 101. Is there a better bottle that can be had for less than $25 in any store in the US of A?

0CA2255D-EB75-471E-A8BD-017B103E8A82.jpeg

1 minute ago, Mako254 said:

I need to replace my bottle. 7-9 years seems to be the sweet spot for Beam products for my taste buddies. I know @Harry in WashDC has been on a Baker’s kick as well. 

For me, 101. Is there a better bottle that can be had for less than $25 in any store in the US of A?

0CA2255D-EB75-471E-A8BD-017B103E8A82.jpeg

Funny you should bring this up.  I now keep a WT 101 next to my chair as it makes a nice change from the OGD BIB which is ALWAYS there.  The Baker's is on the front of the shelf and is what I've been offering as a taster the past few weeks.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Damn, if Baker’s may not be my favorite bottle going these past several months.  Thick, rich, full, and loaded with caramel and chewy leather.  Enough of an oak backbone to hold it all together.  Proof and age are just about perfect for my tastes.  Particularly, with a fine cigar on the patio.  

31B58469-27D6-4B0D-ADCD-726C17CCC541.jpeg

AH! The memories.  One Fuentes Short Story lasted through a trash run to the alley if I walked really slowly.  Butera Bravo Cortos were the choice for drives to and from work - I had a Chrysler LeBaron convertible with a GREAT heater so I could put the top down year round, and I limited myself to two a day - one going and one coming home.  Alas, I retired and gave up smoking.  Giving up on 4R?  Hardly.

Tonight was swallowing chunks of Rebel Yell 80 proof - the KSBW I picked for VBT # 674.  SOMEbody has to finish this bottle, and I don't see anybody lining up.

23 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

AH! The memories.  One Fuentes Short Story lasted through a trash run to the alley if I walked really slowly.  Butera Bravo Cortos were the choice for drives to and from work - I had a Chrysler LeBaron convertible with a GREAT heater so I could put the top down year round, and I limited myself to two a day - one going and one coming home.  Alas, I retired and gave up smoking.  Giving up on 4R?  Hardly.

Tonight was swallowing chunks of Rebel Yell 80 proof - the KSBW I picked for VBT # 674.  SOMEbody has to finish this bottle, and I don't see anybody lining up.

Harry taking one for the VBT team. I salute you sir!

Finished off a McKenna 10yr tonight. I usually love this bourbon, but this bottle seemed a little "off". Hotter than others I've had...not bad, but not up to the standard I have been used too after several outstanding bottles. Still good stuff..

After killing that bottle I'm having an Elijah Craig local store pick with a big ass cube...one last drink before bed.

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Is there a better bottle that can be had for less than $25 in any store in the US of A?

I'm a Lawrenceburg man, but regular BT is right there with it.

• I like it 1

Just a thought.  When creating a "winter" thread like this one, you need to put both years in the title because winter spans into 2019.

I'm enjoying some Rare Breed 108.2 tonight.  For the next pour I'm eyeing that RR PS over there on the shelf.  Looks like it's gonna be a turkey night. 

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Funny you should bring this up.  I now keep a WT 101 next to my chair as it makes a nice change from the OGD BIB which is ALWAYS there.  The Baker's is on the front of the shelf and is what I've been offering as a taster the past few weeks.

A chair-worthy bottle is the highest of praise!

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I now keep a WT 101 next to my chair as it makes a nice change from the OGD BIB which is ALWAYS there. 

I wanna be like you when I grow up.

First, I need a chair of my own!

Had the pleasure of trying some EC23 last night, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Heavy on the oak, I kinda understand why they keep the proof low on it and it opened up nicely with a drop of water. It retained the EC character as well that I know from the EC12

It's not cheap, but with prices of certain other 23 year old whiskeys being what they are and at not much higher proof, is this underrated...? 

Took SWMBO out for a late dinner last night at one of our favorite places.  Sat at our usual seats at the bar and noticed that the 2018 GTS hadn't been opened since they got it in a couple of weeks ago (neither had the ORVW10, BTW).  I had ordered a pour of the PVW15 back then and shared it with the bar staff.  So I ordered a pour of the 2018 GTS and shared that with the crew as well.  $36.50 for several 1 oz. pours - I thought that was MORE than fair, no?   ☺️

It was absolutely delicious - even after trying it at the L&K "Unicorns" tasting and from my own bottle.  Funny that the PVW15 was more than half gone at $65 a pour, but the GTS and ORVW10 hadn't been opened at all (until last night).  And this is an upscale restaurant!  Go figure - guess I'm ordering GTS for a while instead of my usual Blanton's until the bottle is gone.  "Oh, the horror!"

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

RR SiB store pick.  Ahhhhh

My man. 

I think 2019 might be the year of the Turkey. 

• I like it 2

For the past 2 nights I've been drinking 1792 FP which was a "master distillers" pick for my LS. He's done a few barrel picks in the past (I sat in on one) and has carried some of the other 1792 labels but the current is a true honey barrel. I've never been a big fan of 1792 or Barton but this particular barrel is so crazy good. It's 12 1/2 years old and I don't know if they dug it out of the pile or not? It opens with BIG red fruit and sweet caramel. Because I don't cherish this brand I poured in on ice the first night (paired with an Olivia V then a Velvet Rat). I kept thinking it must be the cigars because the pour couldn't be that good? Last night I sat down with neat pours in the den and WOW. So smooth and easy, it drank like a 90-100 proofer. So much flavor and a real soft finish for a 125. Now, I'm going on the fact this is an aberration not a standard, but what a surprise. I didn't even want the bottle but the store owner assured me I'd be pleased. It was priced about $45. lcpfratn if you haven't picked one up yet I'd suggest haste. I'll go back today in hopes to get a few for the bunker. 

I have two other picks of 1792 FP in the bunker now to SBS with the current BUT I thinking he might swap em out for me? :) 

Edited by FacePlant
  • I like it 2

Enjoyed some old Weller12 from the bunker; still keeping up with my New Years Resolution, haven't been to a store therefore I haven't bought anything...I can get used to the extra cash in my wallet.

Edited by JvW
emoji not working
  • I like it 1

35 minutes ago, JvW said:

Enjoyed some old Weller12 from the bunker; still keeping up with my New Years Resolution, haven't been to a store therefore I haven't bought anything...I can get used to the extra cash in my wallet.

Atta boy J. My wife and I will be heading out later to do our weekly shopping. I hope I can resist the temptation. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Mako254 said:

IMHO, no there isn't. Plus, many restaurants have it at a reasonable price.

Switching over to a Jackie’s Fine Wine & Spirits KC PS.  Some of the KC picks I’ve had lately border on being too dry, and move too far away from the heavy Beam profile that I like.  This one is not where I want it, but moves closer to where I like my Beams.  A tell for me is the legs.  This one is there, even with a cube.  Good one.  

121D901B-6A0D-4878-9A0C-973364873AD4.jpeg

• I like it 1

Shared a generous amount of a bottle of Yellowstone I picked up in KY last Spring with a neighbor who  wanted to try something different from his usual stuff (HH, JB, JD).    He enjoyed the brief history of the brand, and the re-invention of it by Stephen Beam and his Limestone Branch outfit... or at least he pretended to, while drinking my booze. HA!    Anyway, we both enjoyed it very much.  :P

When I fist opened it a few months ago, I found it good and a little outside the norm for most Bourbons (not much; but interesting under-taste, and decent mouthfeel for 93-proof).   This afternoon, it was quite nice... better by a good bit than I remember it being in July or August.    Glad I decided to grab it up and share it.

Mrs. Kepler and I went out to dinner with another couple at a good steakhouse.  Had a nice NY strip and ordered a couple rounds of whiskey for my tequila drinking buddy.  I treated him right with some GTS and RR SiB and he liked it.  Good times over good food & drink.

Home now and going back to this one, an '07 WTKS honey barrel from rickhouse B.  This may be the best non-PS, non-LE Turkey I've had yet.

20190106_004248.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.