Proofing Down Barrel Strength Bourbon

tarheel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Nancy, in my simple mind saponification just sounds like a naughty word so I looked it up. Now I realize I'm just dumb

Saponification is a process that involves conversion of fat or oil into soap and alcohol by the action of heat in the presence of aqueous alkali (e.g. NaOH). Soaps are salts of fatty acids whereas fatty acids are saturated monocarboxylic acids that have long carbon chains (at least 10) e.g. CH3(CH2)14COOH.

I'm with Gary. Must be an Illinois thang. :blink:

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Nancy, in my simple mind saponification just sounds like a naughty word so I looked it up. Now I realize I'm just dumb

Saponification is a process that involves conversion of fat or oil into soap and alcohol by the action of heat in the presence of aqueous alkali (e.g. NaOH). Soaps are salts of fatty acids whereas fatty acids are saturated monocarboxylic acids that have long carbon chains (at least 10) e.g. CH3(CH2)14COOH.

@Vosgar, as you can see from that definition, it is quite a nasty thing indeed! Tasting soap in your whiskey just ain't that desirable. lol

21 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Vosgar, as you can see from that definition, it is quite a nasty thing indeed! Tasting soap in your whiskey just ain't that desirable. lol

Of course, if Ralphie in Christmas Story had known there was any conceivable connection between soap and whiskey, he probably would have cursed more.

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Ah, geeezz.  Memories - WAY off-thread memories.  My Dad grew up on a farm in Iowa; left it to join the Navy prior to WW II and never went back.  Circa 1958 as part of a Boy Scout merit badge project I undertook, he helped me make soap from scratch like he used to do on the farm.  My soap ended up closer to cottage cheese than bars (lots of lumps and whey).  That solidifying was "saponification" or so he said.  As Nancy said, esterification (OR nice smelling brown liquid) is preferable to saponification (clotted, evil-smelling, congealed pigfat in the case of my BS project).   The thought of eating bourbon in the form of cottage cheese, assuming it didn't smell/taste like the stuff I made, does make me feel warm, but the alternative . . .?:rolleyes:  Excuse me while I go rinse out my mouth with GTS 2018.  Neat.  'Tis the season.

• I like it 4

35 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Excuse me while I go rinse out my mouth with GTS 2018.  Neat. 

Wish you were my dentist !

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.