What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, not at all the standard wheater profile.  Wonder if other elements of the  mashbill are overshadowing the wheat?

I get chocolate from wheaters sometimes W12 and RY10SB. Interesting as aside from the chocolate I find these two quite different.

I had a good day hunting on NYE and the best part is all were pirchased at retail. The OFBB was sitting behind the counter at an ABC store so I inquired on it expecting $300+. When she said $79.99 my jaw hit the floor. 

3C05613A-A39E-4718-A860-381263AC0159.jpeg

• I like it 5

En route to my brother-in-law's for the New Year's Eve festivities, we drove by an independent liquor warehouse that has a nice whiskey selection which usually has a surprise for me, so I always stop by. This time the showcase had a bottle of Little Book Chapter 02 that I wanted to try. Then I saw the Knob Creek "handles" were on saile and noticed the back of the rows were a tad dusty. Indeed, the stock had not been well rotated and I found five nine-year-old 1.5s that are now in my bunker. Happy New Year to me!

5B92B34D-EDD8-4CF9-9C79-ABFECD2653E0.jpeg

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Chuckles said:

En route to my brother-in-law's for the New Year's Eve festivities, we drove by an independent liquor warehouse that has a nice whiskey selection which usually has a surprise for me, so I always stop by. This time the showcase had a bottle of Little Book Chapter 02 that I wanted to try. Then I saw the Knob Creek "handles" were on saile and noticed the back of the rows were a tad dusty. Indeed, the stock had not been well rotated and I found five nine-year-old 1.5s that are now in my bunker. Happy New Year to me!

5B92B34D-EDD8-4CF9-9C79-ABFECD2653E0.jpeg

Last weekend my buddy & i drove several hours to a small town joint that i knew had KC original in a SB version picked by Booker Noe from 20 yrs ago. We ended up splitting 3 cases. Not only did we stockpile some tasty semi-dusty, but they gave us a nice bulk discount. 

• I like it 6

I stopped by Smooth Ambler's distillery in WV and brought this 13 year old single barrel of Old Scout home to join the rest of the family. Many of these these came from Black Friday sales at liquor stores in TN for $40 each circa 2014-15. I also remember scoffing at paying any more than $60 for them a few years ago. But I haven't seen any of them at retail for probably two years, so I brought the gift shop one home, even if it was $125. I hope it's good!

Old Scout Family.jpg

• I like it 7

Picked up a couple daily drinkers and a backup Willett 4 year rye. Was hoping it was from a different batch but it's the same proof as the one I already have. That's ok with me. I like the one I already have! And..it was $10 cheaper than the first one.

20190103_173358-1612x784.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, silverc said:

I stopped by Smooth Ambler's distillery in WV and brought this 13 year old single barrel of Old Scout

, so I brought the gift shop one home, even if it was $125. I hope it's good!

Old Scout Family.jpg

Wait, The 13year was $125?

jeez.   I got a 12y for $65 last April when I stopped in there. 

Not that I’m being critical, but I would probably hesitate severely at $125. 

Your collection in the picture puts mine to shame, and I thought I had a lot. 

Love that stuff !

:)

Just my opinion, since you have so many open:

gas them.  Mgp bourbon seems to be strongly influenced by air. 

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

30 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Picked up a couple daily drinkers and a backup Willett 4 year rye. Was hoping it was from a different batch but it's the same proof as the one I already have. That's ok with me. I like the one I already have! And..it was $10 cheaper than the first one.

20190103_173358-1612x784.jpg

Let me know if you ever want to trade samples. I have this batch. I've yet to open this bottle, but I probably will pretty soon. 

20190103_182921.jpg

1 hour ago, silverc said:

I stopped by Smooth Ambler's distillery in WV and brought this 13 year old single barrel of Old Scout home to join the rest of the family. Many of these these came from Black Friday sales at liquor stores in TN for $40 each circa 2014-15. I also remember scoffing at paying any more than $60 for them a few years ago. But I haven't seen any of them at retail for probably two years, so I brought the gift shop one home, even if it was $125. I hope it's good!

Old Scout Family.jpg

That’s a lot of good bourbon!

C3E38B4A-4DF7-4DBD-A291-CE24921C9A09.thumb.jpeg.795dae04a2237b29761e28d27346c9b8.jpeg

I was fortunate to find some aged MGP today too. I haven’t seen one of these in a few months. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Wait, The 13year was $125?

jeez.   I got a 12y for $65 last April when I stopped in there. 

Not that I’m being critical, but I would probably hesitate severely at $125. 

Your collection in the picture puts mine to shame, and I thought I had a lot. 

Love that stuff !

:)

Just my opinion, since you have so many open:

gas them.  Mgp bourbon seems to be strongly influenced by air. 

The open ones are gassed. I use a small red sticker on the top to indicate which ones have been gassed from my collection.  I will gas them once the fill level gets below 2/3 or if I expect it may be a while before I revisit the bottle. The sticker is a good reminder for me to re-gas them before putting them into storage.

I think Smooth Ambler jacked up the prices recently on these at the gift shop. I was surprised it was so much too. I hadn't been to their distillery in about 3 years before the prices got all crazy, but wasn't sure what they were going for in the more recent past, like last year. I am hoping their own distillate comes around to be something I can get excited about, but so far it's got a long way to go to get even close to the MGP sourced stuff.

• I like it 1

Bottle of Booker's 30th and a bottle of OWA were put on the card today. Hopefully this one can slide under the radar as Christmas purchases when the bill comes in next month.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, silverc said:

I use a small red sticker on the top to indicate which ones have been gassed from my collection

That's a great tip, thanks. You should think about posting it in the Pro Tips thread.

Picked up two more bottles of Eagle Rare.  For some reason it is getting hard to find around here, so I grabbed an extra one this time.

Had a Binny’s gift card for $100 so I grabbed a 1.75 of BT and a 1.75 of WT101 along with one of the Clark & Sheffield Single Barrel. For less than 30 a single barrel of Barton juice seemed like a good chance to take.

38 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Picked up two more bottles of Eagle Rare.  For some reason it is getting hard to find around here, so I grabbed an extra one this time.

You guys kill me with your "getting hard to find" comments. Welcome to St. Louis. :lol:

20181229_135231-1612x784.jpg

• I like it 1

Bought a second bottle today to replace the empty High Wire Sorghum Whiskey.  This is the only craft distiller for whom I've made a repeat purchase.

Seriously, this is some delicious stuff.  The second half of the bottle was just amazing.  This bottle got better the longer it was open! 

26 minutes ago, Clueby said:

You guys kill me with your "getting hard to find" comments. Welcome to St. Louis. :lol:

Wow. That is just brutal on multiple levels!They are making you spend $100 for the privilege of being gouged.

If anyone is really unable to find reasonably priced bottles like ER, Blanton's, Stagg Jr., HMK, VOBbib, EHSmB etc...  shoot me a PM and I would be happy to help a SB’er out.  

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

F - them, cue the WTRB!!!!!!!

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, silverc said:

Old Scout Family.jpg

If I’m the Weller whore, you da, Smooth whore. ;)  Very nice.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

As much as I have been complaining about price hikes I was encouraged by picking up 2010 Evan Williams Single Barrell for $13 on sale. Not 10 years like it was in the early 2000's bit still a solid value pour.

• I like it 1

$200 & $159
Have we jumped the shark??
F67DBE7A-6892-4031-981C-623D934E2E4B.thumb.jpeg.7e8194f86d1c5bd0be966ddd1a0f2fa4.jpeg

I’m probably going to skip hunting for both of these, but if they just fall in my lap, I might be tempted...especially the Booker’s 30th Anniversary.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.