Jump to content
smokinjoe

Cocktail Hour 2019

Recommended Posts

PaulO

I finally figured out what to do with the BT mash bill #1 white dog.  I mixed some with lemonade.  I got the idea from A Craftsman's Legacy tv show.  On one episode the host visited a guy that makes small copper moonshine stills from scratch.  At the end of the show they mixed the home made stuff with lemonade.

If you have white dog to get rid of, I suggest this.  It tastes pretty good.  That raw bread dough smell does hang around, but it's tolerable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute

Made some Belmont Jewels today. There wasn't as much excitement for the Belmont Stakes this year for obvious reasons so I wasn't compelled to make them yesterday while watching the race.

Nevertheless, tradition states that I make them at some point during the weekend so I saved it for having some neighbors over tonight and it was our pre dinner cocktail.

Grilled some thick pork chops which were so, so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe took me out to Local 3 for Fathers Day Dinner, and enjoying their house cocktail “Three Widows and One Divorcee”.  Old Forester, Peach Syrup, Lemon Juice, and a Lemon Slice.  Great with the charcuterie!

 

6D25843C-DDA9-46EB-8C0B-458FD4ACBD94.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
On 6/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, smokinjoe said:

Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe took me out to Local 3 for Fathers Day Dinner, and enjoying their house cocktail “Three Widows and One Divorcee”.  Old Forester, Peach Syrup, Lemon Juice, and a Lemon Slice.  Great with the charcuterie!

 

 

A curious name. Doesn't seem to have much to do with the drink itself! Must have been a name that they just thought was "cute" and wanted to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

A very simple cocktail to end the weekend. Maker's 46 and a few dashes of coffee -pecan bitters. The buttery, vanilla, toffee bourbon combined with the bitters makes for a delightful, easy sipping drink. I'm probably going to have 2. :)

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

We took some watermelon to a cookout this afternoon. After using the melon baller on my halved melon, I got the emulsion blender out and made some watermelon juice. I mixed that with some OGD BiB. It's very refreshing. I contemplated meddling some mint, but I decided against it. Maybe tomorrow. 

20190616_185431.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
19 hours ago, Phil T said:

A very simple cocktail to end the weekend. Maker's 46 and a few dashes of coffee -pecan bitters. The buttery, vanilla, toffee bourbon combined with the bitters makes for a delightful, easy sipping drink. I'm probably going to have 2. :)

BOTY wisdom right here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

A curious name. Doesn't seem to have much to do with the drink itself! 

Well, here’s a cocktail that has a curious name and fits perfectly for its namesake! 

The notorious, Smokinmuthahfuckinjoe!  :D

 

The girls are all out this evening, so it’s just me on the patio, a porterhouse, the grill, Braves on the radio, and the SMFJ.  Not sayin’ this combo would be good every night, but it’s all sure working right now... ;)

 

 

 

 

9F05E16D-6B3C-4606-BAAD-DA05A93D5E75.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Not the most sophisticated of cocktails, but I do enjoy some Citron and Sodas while at the beach.  The Absolut distributor had a good week...  :D

 

9EA829EF-EB6A-468C-ACAD-418B574DB449.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marshall9779

Had a giant bourbon and ginger while on the river tubing yesterday. Used some Bulleit a buddy gave my for my bday. Made for a nice day in the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

I call it the Mellow Mary:

Dust the rim with celery salt

Mellow Corn

Bloody Mary mix

Holyshitfire bitters 

Celery bitters

Beau Monde seasoning 

Garnish w/smokey bacon strip, jalapeno stuffed 

olives

20190630_101849.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

Damn, Phil; that sounds wabulous!   

I might go easy on those olives as well as those bitters; but, that's just my low tolerance for that really hot stuph.

Which (if it matters to you) Bloody Mary mix do you favor?

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

I call it the Mellow Mary:

Dust the rim with celery salt

Mellow Corn

Bloody Mary mix

Holyshitfire bitters 

Celery bitters

Beau Monde seasoning 

Garnish w/smokey bacon strip, jalapeno stuffed 

olives

20190630_101849.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

Actually Rich, the olives and bitters don't impart as much heat as you might think. The mix is Zing Zang. It has been my go to lately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Fresh squeezed lemon juice, simple syrup, and 3oz of Beam Double Oak for a refreshing Bourbon Sour, Back our on the patio.  I was just getting ready to get the Luxardo cherries out of the fridge for it, when Mrssmokinjoe started asking if I could get something or another out of the attic for her.  Told her sorry, but can’t, I need to get back outside in that brutal heat, as I've got to stay close to the WSM to make sure the pork butt cooks OK...Oh, how much time is left?  Ehhh, 3...4 hours. But those are the critical ones, dear...:D

 

 

 

 

 

BB041339-901E-4C6B-B118-8A4E897154BA.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

This cocktail is incredibly refreshing. Tge red stuff is the leftover juice of a black diamond watermelon after I balled all the flesh from it. Now I'm hanging out with my little buddy, about to grill some pork cutlets (from a wild hog) and some brats. Mrs. Whammie is inside cooling off after we just got back from the neighborhood pool. 

Smokin'Joe, you need to try this one! 

20190713_151221.jpg

20190713_151409.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

How about a fat cube, some maker's 46, a splash of simple syrup,  and a few dashes of strawberry bitters. 

15630591760322220825709360862162.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311

Bourbon mojitos...these were very refreshing in the MD heat today.

20190713_165639.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
20 hours ago, Phil T said:

How about a fat cube, some maker's 46, a splash of simple syrup,  and a few dashes of strawberry bitters. 

15630591760322220825709360862162.jpg

Damn.........that sounds amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
23 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

This cocktail is incredibly refreshing. Tge red stuff is the leftover juice of a black diamond watermelon after I balled all the flesh from it. Now I'm hanging out with my little buddy, about to grill some pork cutlets (from a wild hog) and some brats. Mrs. Whammie is inside cooling off after we just got back from the neighborhood pool. 

Smokin'Joe, you need to try this one! 

20190713_151221.jpg

20190713_151409.jpg

Looks like a great Summer cooker, Whammie.  I will try it!  What proportions do you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Looks like a great Summer cooker, Whammie.  I will try it!  What proportions do you use?

i think it was roughly equal parts of each, but probably heavy handed with the 4R!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

i think it was roughly equal parts of each, but probably heavy handed with the 4R!

As it should be!  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TwoFingers

So hot today, didn't even want to go outside.  Vieux carre inside with a book to beat the heat.

 

 

IMG_20190721_153136707.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Mrssmokinjoe and I went for dinner at one of our favorite nearby places, Taqueria Tsunami for dinner.  Had a Maker’s Mojito. I’m not sure that it was the best possible execution of what this could be, but I did double up on it!  :D

 

76D7786C-41D5-438D-90EC-D1369A146D6C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
macdad

I have been looking at recipes for homemade Bailey's Irish cream.  I found one and mixed up the base (no alcohol).  I figured it would be nice to use in the morning coffee.  I added 2 parts cream to 1 part Bulleit, stirred and added an ice cube.  I am assuming this is what you all refer to as a bourbon cream?  Regardless, it was really tasty.  

 

I am really interested in trying a couple other cocktails.  I would love to try an old fashioned.  I also have a bunch of ginger ale here.  I think the ginger ale and bourbon sounds pretty good as well.  It is fun trying new things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Dinner at Fig in Charleston last night, and possibly the best meal I’ve had in awhile.  The cocktail of the night were a couple of Fig’s  interpretation of a Vieux Carre, which they named the Vieux Cray.  Ritt Rye, Pierre Fernando Amber Cognac, Licor 43, Punt e Mes, and Chicolate Bitters.  Delicious!

3414BB46-AF33-4A8F-8C6F-0B51CCCAB7B4.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.