What dram are you enjoying - Winter/Spring 2019?

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

At the TWA Hotel at JFK with a Lagavulin 16— nice after a brutal 3.5 hour drive from CT. 

DBF60E65-539F-41C0-873D-8DF31F10EDA3.thumb.jpeg.efa644cdb3f1b46f198e8b4a83b05a34.jpeg

I didn't realize that place had opened, it's a cool idea, how well did they execute it?

3 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I didn't realize that place had opened, it's a cool idea, how well did they execute it?

Still have a few staffing and vibe issues to sort out, but the build out and design/quality are amazing. I’m stealing all of the stuff from the room, so I’m sure they’ll bill be crap out of me. 

Note: The bars are the weakest spot— all looks and no substance.

2A7B12F4-3980-420C-AAB1-14BDF01BE054.thumb.jpeg.2603ce20fe73af772e29565ad89dbb37.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

Still have a few staffing and vibe issues to sort out, but the build out and design/quality are amazing. I’m stealing all of the stuff from the room, so I’m sure they’ll bill be crap out of me. 

Note: The bars are the weakest spot— all looks and no substance.

2A7B12F4-3980-420C-AAB1-14BDF01BE054.thumb.jpeg.2603ce20fe73af772e29565ad89dbb37.jpeg

Very cool bars and kinks not withstanding, enjoy!

• I like it 1

Didn’t expect the offer to try these two this afternoon— the Lagavulin was good, but got its doors blown off by the Caol Ila...

4BE5B7D6-A7A7-42A1-A4E4-69EB665F455F.thumb.jpeg.78c63d2e8d3754fa6c3803cc38c3c186.jpeg

• I like it 1

After doing an unusually good job on NY strips and a nice burgundy with said dinner, I’m settling in with some Hakushu 12.

The highest proof OB Jura I’ve tried— needs water and time in the glass...

AE7E0DBA-E35A-4C19-A49D-2B1AAD83D72D.thumb.jpeg.e662cbfea31f3fee0f8941c23e1e01a9.jpeg

On 6/14/2019 at 6:30 PM, Marekv8 said:

....... A Fernet-Branca is on the way with dessert.

Fernet-Branca straight?

Wow - that will overpower both scotches. Strong stuff!

Father’s Day bottle 2 is a local’s GKS Marrying Cask with FFOX Lost City. Very good combo.
IMG_2222.jpg

21 hours ago, flahute said:

Fernet-Branca straight?

Wow - that will overpower both scotches. Strong stuff!

Fernet-Branca is mostly sugar and caramel coloring-- so it pairs well with dessert and has no lingering negative effects on my palate. If you want an amazing bitter experience that will linger for hours, the Elisir Novasalus and/or Petrus Boonekamp should do it. 

IMG_1608.thumb.jpg.c378f998d3bbf153328b0ab6252ceb7e.jpg

It's been awhile since I visited the Darkside, but tonight it was a nice pour of 26yr Balmenach. Distilled in 1988, it's a PS for Binny's by Signatory.

• I like it 1

On 6/17/2019 at 9:13 AM, Marekv8 said:

Fernet-Branca is mostly sugar and caramel coloring-- so it pairs well with dessert and has no lingering negative effects on my palate. If you want an amazing bitter experience that will linger for hours, the Elisir Novasalus and/or Petrus Boonekamp should do it. 

The "Danny Devito" (a little Italian...) is a pretty common shot shared through the night at might favorite bars and while a bit minty I agree is not that strong on the palate.

The Novasalus I can testify too! But I am not familiar with the Boonekamp. I do like Nardino as a nice middle ground.

Edited by tanstaafl2

IMG_1608.thumb.jpg.c378f998d3bbf153328b0ab6252ceb7e.jpg

My favorite bitter is this one. I’m down to my last bottle, and I’m nursing it slowly since I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to find another!
IMG_5919.jpg

Dense as dirt and delightfully weird, as expected from Pittyvaich. The CS 25yo Special Release was bottled at 49.9%, so I doubt they tinkered much with the proof here.

IMG_1616.thumb.jpg.dd7e4c994b04d7bd61119763df5532e4.jpg

Our weather turned cool and wet tonight so it seemed like a peated whisky would be appropriate. Ballechin 11yr heavily peated, Manzanilla sherry cask finished, cask strength, is working wonderfully. This is a dangerously good bottle, but I have to work tomorrow so I'll be a good boy and keep it to one pour.

Glenrothes 10 this evening. Was gifted a bottle by a guest a few weeks ago, very nice of them. Not great though, tbh. Fine over ice as a cocktail but to me it just tastes like it could be one of a thousand blends... 

Geeked out with a bartender and he brought out a couple of treats that aren't distributed in GA so can't be sold, but we're share as distributor samples. A cozy sherried Mortlach 20 and a funky intellectual Port Ellen 14.

IMG_20190621_204310.thumb.jpg.32fd956467e81dae32c8b5721676576d.jpg

MVIMG_20190621_204337.thumb.jpg.f77d753bb4355d5a5b241fba0f988bcd.jpg

On 6/18/2019 at 11:39 PM, lcpfratn said:

My favorite bitter is this one. I’m down to my last bottle, and I’m nursing it slowly since I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to find another!
IMG_5919.jpg

Is it just Gammel Dansk or that particular style of it? Seems like I have found Gammel Dansk in the US before but not familiar with Asmund Special. Guess it is time for you to go back to Denmark!

Is it just Gammel Dansk or that particular style of it? Seems like I have found Gammel Dansk in the US before but not familiar with Asmund Special. Guess it is time for you to go back to Denmark!

Bruce, this was a special edition of Gammel Dansk that was made in 2007 as a tribute to J. K. Asmund, the first master blender at Danish Distillers, the company that originally made Gammel Dansk. I’m not sure if they started with regular Gammel Dansk or not, but I know it contains more herbs and spices than regular GD, and perhaps also includes dark roasted coffee beans and dark chocolate nibs. I can’t remember the list of enhancements added off the top of my head, but I really do like it. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find any new bottles of it during my last few Trips to Denmark, but I keep looking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.