What dram are you enjoying - Winter/Spring 2019?

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

The few Edradour's I've had have been very enjoyable, and this one's no different.

edradour.jpg

I love Ballechin but had yet to be taken by a regular Edradour until I popped a 2005 Signatory Sherry Cask that knocked my socks off, I'm a believer now. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I love Ballechin but had yet to be taken by a regular Edradour until I popped a 2005 Signatory Sherry Cask that knocked my socks off, I'm a believer now. 

Agree about Ballechin! I've got a Manzanilla Sherry cask matured, cask strength bottle open and it too is wonderful.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Agree about Ballechin! I've got a Manzanilla Sherry cask matured, cask strength bottle open and it too is wonderful.

I have one of those as well that I ordered from Minnesota, have yet to crack it, at this point I pick up whatever iterations I can find at a decent price.  

Enjoyed some Armorik Double Maturation Breton Single Malt earlier and really enjoyed it.  Fruity with a bit of spice, well balanced with a nice mouthfeel.  First French single malt that I can recall trying.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, beasled said:

This did not last long! 

Not surprised at all :D

• I like it 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, NDN98 said:

Opened this one and enjoying immensely.
IMG_1517.jpg

Got mine waiting for me in the bunker, for a special occasion (maybe earlier)...

On 5/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, NDN98 said:

Opened this one and enjoying immensely.
IMG_1517.jpg

That is nice looking whiskey!  Nice and dark. 

I've never been much of a Scotch guy. It just hasn't grabbed me.

Last night a good friend who is at the tail end of a cross country road trip came through Seattle and dropped in for a visit.

Prior to said road trip, he was traveling abroad and Scotland was part of that agenda.

He unveiled a sample bottle of Mortlach 30yr sherry cask. I gave it a shot and I have to say I was impressed.

My horizons may be expanding.

• I like it 4

Opened my Old Pulteney 17 tonight after a brutal road week. 

Slainte mhaith!

• I like it 2

Tried the 14 yr Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.  Delicious; need to dig up a 50 mL of the 12 yr (pretty sure I have one buried somewhere) for a side by side, but for under $50 - I'm thinking this is going to get moved into the rotation post haste!

19 hours ago, flahute said:

I've never been much of a Scotch guy.............My horizons may be expanding.

What the hell is going on here with our moderators? First, Fishnbowljoe passes up some WSR and now Steve says this :o

Next thing you know, Ox is going to say he's gone vegan

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

What the hell is going on here with our moderators? First, Fishnbowljoe passes up some WSR and now Steve says this :o

Not to worry.   Us Young Turks are heavily into red meat and raw whiskey.  Why, just today, I consumed 1/4 of a JD BP 750 (with ice, I admit) while grilling two (2) six OZ. buffalo burgers during a thunderstorm. 

OTOH, I have to admit that I also finished off my Redbreast Lustau finish yesterday while waiting for the mail.  SO --

if I can get the dirty dishes from the back room where the TV is to the kitchen without falling over, I may pull down my one bottle of scotch (some Glenmorangie sttff left behind by some visitor.  Goodness knows I'd never drink that stuff sober.!!!

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

It must be a virus. Insidious 

Flight delayed at JFK, so taking it easy proof wise with a Glenmorangie 10— preparing for the long haul. 

C62AA039-30B6-489D-9784-4563A3452F06.thumb.jpeg.a0a2f27924c5ca697bc81e22a59845ab.jpeg

I had a soft spot for Dewar’s— but it’s firming up with this one. Bold, worm-tubby and spicy with a 20w-50 viscosity and lengthy witch hazel finish. The PX shows up about 10 minutes later. 

2D148140-7DC0-44C6-B367-C80C1B96179A.thumb.jpeg.d75a80c297fda7975412880b6e290bb5.jpeg

• I like it 1

Tonight I reminded myself I don't like Scotch or the Japanese imitation.

Was out with friends and had a dram of
Macallan 18 ($30/2oz)
Nikka Coffee Malt ($18/2oz)
Balvenie Caribbean Cask ($13.50/2oz)

The Nikka was the only Japanese whiskey they had and the Macallan reminded me why I don't like Scotch.

I'm going to look for a bottle of the Balvenie Caribbean Cask for my "whiskey in rum cask" collection. Reminded me of Jefferson's Rum Cask a little. It was more smooth/sweet whiskey than Scotch, which usually has too much ethanol & earth & salt for tasting notes.

Sorry no pics, my phone was away while I enjoyed good company.

At the TWA Hotel at JFK with a Lagavulin 16— nice after a brutal 3.5 hour drive from CT. 

DBF60E65-539F-41C0-873D-8DF31F10EDA3.thumb.jpeg.efa644cdb3f1b46f198e8b4a83b05a34.jpeg

• I like it 1

Followed by an Oban 14. Given the vintage vibe of this bar/hotel, I was hoping to order a J&B or Cutty Sark. 

1DC92442-F4F7-4575-B607-D1D6EAC4EFF0.thumb.jpeg.9fec808eb96a97913afa202a6a6b3bcd.jpeg

Followed by an Oban 14. Given the vintage vibe of this bar/hotel, I was hoping to order a J&B or Cutty Sark. 

1DC92442-F4F7-4575-B607-D1D6EAC4EFF0.thumb.jpeg.9fec808eb96a97913afa202a6a6b3bcd.jpeg

Can’t complain too much about Lagavulin 16 followed by Oban 14...two excellent choices, although I’d probably prefer to reverse the order.

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Can’t complain too much about Lagavulin 16 followed by Oban 14...two excellent choices, although I’d probably prefer to reverse the order.

Normally the Oban 14 would slot before a peated malt, but this particular pour is kicking some Islay arse tonight. A Fernet-Branca is on the way with dessert.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.