Jump to content
smokinjoe

What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

Recommended Posts

Bret Bret
12 hours ago, Clueby said:

That Willett 1.75 always sits back there.  It's such a space hog.  The bottle is cool.  I just wish the whiskey inside was as good.  The W12 1.75 and ETL were stashed away at work but we were in danger of getting flooded so I took them home last week.  I have no room in the cabinet for them currently.  Trying to find a home for them.  There is already a floor cabinet, a box in my closet, and another in the basement in addition to the "display" cabinets and bar top.  I need some consolidation.  I picked up another bottle of that batch of ECBP yesterday since that one is going down quickly.

And, re: the Blues....if you saw that game last night.  GRRRRRRR  :angry:  Felt like downing the rest of that bottle after that one.

I agree the Willett bottle is a space hog, but I think the bourbon has a very useful purpose. On its own it's ok. As a blender it's great. Being light bodied with not much complexity, it truly enhances full bodied, complex, well balanced whiskeys. It brings out well hidden flavor notes in those other whiskeys without changing their base flavor profile. The plus being, your full bodied bourbons that you get more flavor(s) out of last longer.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TimeWillTell
1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

I agree the Willett bottle is a space hog, but I think the bourbon has a very useful purpose. On its own it's ok. As a blender it's great. Being light bodied with not much complexity, it truly enhances full bodied, complex, well balanced whiskeys. It brings out well hidden flavor notes in those other whiskeys without changing their base flavor profile. The plus being, your full bodied bourbons that you get more flavor(s) out of last longer.

What have you had the best luck in blending with the pot still?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, JMFH said:

SBS with '14, '16 & '18.  Yes, I'm off work tomorrow.

Any differences between the two bottlings of 116.8?

Never mind.  Just saw that you already answered the question... 

Edited by fosmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
5 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

I agree the Willett bottle is a space hog, but I think the bourbon has a very useful purpose. On its own it's ok. As a blender it's great. Being light bodied with not much complexity, it truly enhances full bodied, complex, well balanced whiskeys. It brings out well hidden flavor notes in those other whiskeys without changing their base flavor profile. The plus being, your full bodied bourbons that you get more flavor(s) out of last longer.

Have not tried that.  That 1.75 is not even open right now.  I had a couple 750s in the last few years.  There wasn't anything wrong with them per se.  They were just " light bodied with not much complexity" as you noted.  I remember back in the day when it was still a single barrel that there was some pretty good whiskey in that bottle sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bret Bret
7 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

What have you had the best luck in blending with the pot still?

Mostly high proofs like McKenna BIB, Stagg jr, ECBP at a 50/50 mix. Really like it with the straight Jos Magnus at less Magnus and more Willett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

A wee OF Statesman at the Delta Club. Bringing my daughter to the BTS concert in NJ, so I’ll need it— and then some. 

 

31F7F4DC-8DEA-4D51-88D4-AC542145EFF6.thumb.jpeg.e3e66ebc1ee72ca641fc258b001005d3.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mal00768

EH Taylor SB. It’s fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marshall9779

IMG_2782.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigSkyDrams

I did a blind sbs of a WT101 and BT tonight, figuring they’re  comparable-level entries within each distilleries’ line (I added two small drops of water into the WT to bring the proof closer together). Thought the WT101 was miles ahead in nose, palate, feel, finish, everything. The BT was just so thin and muted in comparison. And young tasting. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it and will gladly sip it whenever it’s offered, but in the scheme of things it’s really rather run-of-the-mill IMO. Which is somewhat odd, given it was the first bourbon to really get me hooked on America’s spirit.... anyway, Happy Friday and Happy Sippin’!

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

Baker’s in the hotel room— after all the recent conversation about the current iteration’s demise ...

 

EC0B2344-5F73-4662-866D-D9DE80CA5269.thumb.jpeg.545dc13e976c955f6a09ac33eda96f8f.jpeg

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
9 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I did a blind sbs of a WT101 and BT tonight, figuring they’re  comparable-level entries within each distilleries’ line (I added two small drops of water into the WT to bring the proof closer together). Thought the WT101 was miles ahead in nose, palate, feel, finish, everything. The BT was just so thin and muted in comparison. And young tasting. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it and will gladly sip it whenever it’s offered, but in the scheme of things it’s really rather run-of-the-mill IMO. Which is somewhat odd, given it was the first bourbon to really get me hooked on America’s spirit.... anyway, Happy Friday and Happy Sippin’!

We Turkey heads are nodding in agreement. 

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon

Since I picked up more CEHT SmB & WTKS today I'm enjoying a pour of each and I'll finish it up with my new bottle of 4R SmB Select.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon

A few thoughts on these 3. Started with CEHT, followed with WTKS & finished with 4R. They are all close in proof 100, 101 &104. 4R is like regular Smb except on steroids. Still has the fruitiness of most 4R stuff. I like that it's NCF. The WTKS is a little more spicy but good. The CEHT though is everything I want in a bourbon. They're all good but CEHT is my winner.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
I did a blind sbs of a WT101 and BT tonight, figuring they’re  comparable-level entries within each distilleries’ line (I added two small drops of water into the WT to bring the proof closer together). Thought the WT101 was miles ahead in nose, palate, feel, finish, everything. The BT was just so thin and muted in comparison. And young tasting. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it and will gladly sip it whenever it’s offered, but in the scheme of things it’s really rather run-of-the-mill IMO. Which is somewhat odd, given it was the first bourbon to really get me hooked on America’s spirit.... anyway, Happy Friday and Happy Sippin’!


Both are great. WT101 was my first bourbon love but I had my aha moment drinking BT. The nose is great on BT, it’s more dry than most BT offerings which I really like compared to products like ER which I don’t care for. It really just depends on my mood.
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kemosabe

Sipping some CEHT SB after watching the Yankees win in the bottom of the 9th.  Good juice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311

I'm enjoying these tonight.

You can never wrong with WT101

 

20190517_233001.jpg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigSkyDrams
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

 


Both are great. WT101 was my first bourbon love but I had my aha moment drinking BT. The nose is great on BT, it’s more dry than most BT offerings which I really like compared to products like ER which I don’t care for. It really just depends on my mood.

 

That’s the thing, I’m definitely preferential to ER, and also CEHT. But the regular BT doesn’t hit the mark for me. I like the house profile, but the regular BT just doesn’t hold up to similarly priced pours. Same with WSR...  BT gave me quite an a-ha moment too when I was getting in to it. So I feel ya on that

Edited by BigSkyDrams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
That’s the thing, I’m definitely preferential to ER, and also CEHT. But the regular BT doesn’t hit the mark for me. I like the house profile, but the regular BT just doesn’t hold up to similarly priced pours. Same with WSR...  BT gave me quite an a-ha moment too when I was getting in to it. So I feel ya on that


Ha yeah I’m odd, I think CEHT is too hot and maybe young tasting, ER to much of that cheery note, WSR isn’t bad but I think plain ol BT is the best. Maybe I should give Benchmark a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigSkyDrams
18 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

 


Ha yeah I’m odd, I think CEHT is too hot and maybe young tasting, ER to much of that cheery note, WSR isn’t bad but I think plain ol BT is the best. Maybe I should give Benchmark a go.

 

Different strokes and all that... If you can find AAA 10* I think that’s better than Benchmark! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
Different strokes and all that... If you can find AAA 10* I think that’s better than Benchmark! 


Been years since it’s been around here, if I do it’s an instant buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

It’s a fine day here, Down South with a little Yella Label fresh from the freezer...  :)

 

CEB37A92-4E94-459C-B50D-DC2463360D17.jpeg

  • I like it 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s a fine day here, Down South with a little Yella Label fresh from the freezer...  :)

 

I tried this again last week, and as a fan of YL I gotta say it just doesn't work for me. All the flavor disappears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen
16 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s a fine day here, Down South with a little Yella Label fresh from the freezer...  :)

 

CEB37A92-4E94-459C-B50D-DC2463360D17.jpeg

 

Where you at?  It's hotter than Hades in Atlanta right now and the air conditioning at the Georgia Tech pool ain't working!  That frozen bottle looks better and better - might have to fall in the pool soon (accidentally of course).   Did someone say International Whiskey Night???   😅

 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982

Just killed a SAOS 11y 53.8% tonight, time to open a new one 😉

 

Cheers! 

 

Will. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
32 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s a fine day here, Down South with a little Yella Label fresh from the freezer...  :)

 

CEB37A92-4E94-459C-B50D-DC2463360D17.jpeg

Cheers, Joe!! Lookin' good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...