smokinjoe

What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

mbroo5880i
22 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Trying this on a friend's recommendation. Not bad. A little hot.

20190603_210751.thumb.jpg.693d311e72a11eef9538335bd2ab202d.jpg

I have tried a few bottles over the years and could never quite get into it.  I do like OGDBIB.  I tried adding water, on the rocks, etc.  It is ok but not something that I enjoyed.  I did enjoy a 1:1 blend with Ritt BIB.

I started with a nice pour of New Riff.  I really like the young spicy bite to it.  I made a mistake by following it up with a little scotch.  Corrected that faux pas by cleansing my palate with a pour of WSR.

FatherOfPugs

Finishing off a bottle of Eagle Rare. Glad I was able to grab a replacement today.

20190604_200239.thumb.jpg.fcadf48d375c87a9b4b58873acec6204.jpg

• I like it 1

Obeezy1Kaneezy

El Pavo Poquito

A0C4398A-038B-4A1F-BF98-B181B70E7CDE.jpeg

• I like it 2

Richnimrod
7 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

El Pavo Poquito

THAT^^^^ is a HUGE Tasting glass, eh?  HA!

• I like it 1

jwperry
1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

THAT^^^^ is a HUGE Tasting glass, eh?  HA!

It took me a minute too, to realize why he was calling it "a little turkey". Looked like he had a fishbowl sitting next to his bottle...than oh wait, that's just a little bottle. haha

• I like it 1

TehRegion219
10 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

El Pavo Pequeño

FTFY

• I like it 2

LCWoody

Some good 'ol ER 10y to start the night.

JMFH

Very solid batch.

spacer.png

• I like it 4

Spade

Started with a pour of ER10. Moving on to a pour of SAOS 11 year 52.1%. Both are very good but quite the contrast — the SAOS is really dry compared to ER.

JCwhammie

I saw a video on making clear ice, so I gave it a run yesterday. I gotta say, I like that it melts slower. I generally just go neat, but this is nice on occasion. 

20190605_202321.jpg

• I like it 5

FatherOfPugs

Some EH Taylor this evening.

20190605_204843.thumb.jpg.dceef5889dafbae925b67ac392eef205.jpg

alcoholica

Tried Virgin Bourbon for the first time at a buddy’s house. He got it for under $15 after tax. For the price, it’s amazing. 

• I like it 3

fosmith
4 minutes ago, alcoholica said:

Tried Virgin Bourbon for the first time at a buddy’s house. He got it for under $15 after tax. For the price, it’s amazing. 

Never had a Virgin before.  ;)   Wish it were available here in Calif.  Only thing we have that's comparable is EW BiB which I understand is from the same distillery but a couple of years younger than the Virgin. 

• I like it 2

marshall9779

Last night. Trying to kill this off and free up a spot in my cabinet.
IMG_2810.jpg

Richnimrod
4 hours ago, fosmith said:

Never had a Virgin before.  ;)  

I had one once (at least she claimed to be), and it was good; but not as special as I'd been lead to believe.

• I like it 2

smokinjoe
9 hours ago, fosmith said:

Never had a Virgin before.  ;)   Wish it were available here in Calif.  Only thing we have that's comparable is EW BiB which I understand is from the same distillery but a couple of years younger than the Virgin. 

Virgin Bourbon really is vastly superior to standard EW BIB.  Unfortunately, only available in a few (mostly) strict control states.  HH’s benevolence to those less fortunate, again!  :D

• I like it 2

Let’s go Blues !  🏒

9200F919-8C1C-450C-A5F9-F3BF46CC363D.jpeg

• I like it 2

nc_6789

IMG_2592.jpg

Friend gave me some Pinhook to try, not too bad, not amazing though

2nd period,

2nd pour. 

More GTS

Yum...

000CDD92-D878-432C-90FC-AA2F1A9190CF.jpeg

• I like it 3

StarSurfer55

Decided to try some Longbranch again tonight.  I have grown to enjoy the touch of smokiness in the finish and thought that it would be a good one from my friends that like Scotch.

As it turned out, I was in Costco a few weeks ago and ran into a Scottish friend of mine.  We have discussed whiskey in the past and he enjoys the Islay Scotches.  I told him about Longbranch and that he could get a bottle at Costco and he headed over to pick up a bottle.  About a week later I received an email from him regarding Longbranch and thought it was worth sharing.  Here it is:

“Cracked open that Longbranch last week – it’s the closest thing I’ve ever tasted to a non-Islay Islay malt!  Really complex, but the major differences for me come at the end, when there’s a complex almost caramel finish to it, which is wonderful.  I’d never have pulled it off the shelf, so a thousand thanks for pointing me in it’s direction…..it’ll become a staple in my armory!”

457C96F2-6CE2-42BF-B8E5-FEE483199AF9.jpeg

• I like it 2

FasterHorses

Ezra 7 101 once again.  Wife has the AC on 66 so it feels like a midwinter pour.

• I like it 4

One of my favs.

trying to make it last...

7FD95F16-FA11-4AB1-937A-43E9C38C9006.jpeg

• I like it 2

FasterHorses
28 minutes ago, 0895 said:

One of my favs.

trying to make it last...

7FD95F16-FA11-4AB1-937A-43E9C38C9006.jpeg

The rarest of the rare. Will they ever release this again...

HoustonNit
Decided to try some Longbranch again tonight.  I have grown to enjoy the touch of smokiness in the finish and thought that it would be a good one from my friends that like Scotch.

As it turned out, I was in Costco a few weeks ago and ran into a Scottish friend of mine.  We have discussed whiskey in the past and he enjoys the Islay Scotches.  I told him about Longbranch and that he could get a bottle at Costco and he headed over to pick up a bottle.  About a week later I received an email from him regarding Longbranch and thought it was worth sharing.  Here it is:

“Cracked open that Longbranch last week – it’s the closest thing I’ve ever tasted to a non-Islay Islay malt!  Really complex, but the major differences for me come at the end, when there’s a complex almost caramel finish to it, which is wonderful.  I’d never have pulled it off the shelf, so a thousand thanks for pointing me in it’s direction…..it’ll become a staple in my armory!”
457C96F2-6CE2-42BF-B8E5-FEE483199AF9.thumb.jpeg.15c46ad1435f4aacb51c2b339fed2faf.jpeg

This is awesome, you’re doing God’s work here, enlightening the blind. Hopefully he’ll branch out into other bourbons.

DCFan
21 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Last night. Trying to kill this off and free up a spot in my cabinet.
IMG_2810.jpg

Not your cup of tea?