Jump to content
jeffrey r

What Water of Life Did You Purchase - Spring/Summer 2019

Recommended Posts

Marekv8

On a Pittyvaich streak this week… luckily they'll ship this one home for me.

 

IMG_1473.thumb.jpg.8824669964e11fa8d067ce00a9ca0321.jpg

 

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

The CS Ardmore was on the shelf longer than it was in the cask. 

 

A7676016-489F-49EC-A550-63ABDCE5D2E8.thumb.jpeg.365303af80d911307844c37fc04c1b9d.jpeg

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

A pre-meeting pickup in Connecticut— very wrong in many ways which forms the appeal...

 

736C512B-D7D8-4202-8BAD-E4FD58FB2803.thumb.jpeg.7d570f4c71f8e61600621c8e4fe4245c.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwperry

From the sipping thread...



Tonight I reminded myself I don't like Scotch or the Japanese imitation.

Was out with friends and had a dram of
Macallan 18 ($30/2oz)
Nikka Coffee Malt ($18/2oz)
Balvenie Caribbean Cask ($13.50/2oz)

The Nikka was the only Japanese whiskey they had and the Macallan reminded me why I don't like Scotch.

I'm going to look for a bottle of the Balvenie Caribbean Cask for my "whiskey in rum cask" collection. Reminded me of Jefferson's Rum Cask a little. It was more smooth/sweet whiskey than Scotch, which usually has too much ethanol & earth & salt for tasting notes.


I found the Balvenie Caribbean Cask at Walgreens on the way home. Ouch, $69.99, but picked it up anyways. I now have a holder for all my corks, instead of leaving them loose all over the bar.

I'll need to setup a tasting row of all my rum cask whisk(e)ys soon.IMG_20190611_184438460.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

Picked up a couple today. I’ve been looking for the Scapa for awhile.
IMG_0080.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
On 6/11/2019 at 8:56 AM, Marekv8 said:

The CS Ardmore was on the shelf longer than it was in the cask. 

 

A7676016-489F-49EC-A550-63ABDCE5D2E8.thumb.jpeg.365303af80d911307844c37fc04c1b9d.jpeg

Affinity still hasn't made it to Georgia yet so I am quite jealous! Despite the fact that I was having cocktails with the CB rep last night. But it is supposed to be on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guss West

I mentioned this last year while actively hunting some specific bourbon bottlings; easiest way to find unicorns is to swear off buying them.  In the last few weeks, three bottles of scotch on my bucket list have forced my wallet open.  

 

Old Polteney 17, Glendronach 18, and Glendronach 15.  All discontinued, buy now or never type situations.  Tomatin PX and Deanston 20 are next up on the hit list. 

 

I've been really good staying out of packies this year, and I've had some nice bonus cheques.  So, I've not just broken, but obliterated my previous price limits on individual bottles of whiskey.  Not once but thrice in the last month. 

 

All three worth it, and I'd trade my entire bunker for more Glendronach 18.  Holy Grail Whiskey!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Affinity still hasn't made it to Georgia yet so I am quite jealous! Despite the fact that I was having cocktails with the CB rep last night. But it is supposed to be on the way.

 

It was being treated like an allocated item in NYC (not on the shelf) which is not a good sign. Didn’t see the No Name II, but stumbled across the CS Peat Monster release (300 bottles), which had apparently been on the bottom shelf for 5 years waiting for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
34 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

 

stumbled across the CS Peat Monster release (300 bottles), which had apparently been on the bottom shelf for 5 years waiting for me. 

Clearly a store I have not been in ;)

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8
9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Clearly a store I have not been in ;)

There were more bottles remaining-- let me know if you need a pointer.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
17 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

It was being treated like an allocated item in NYC (not on the shelf) which is not a good sign. Didn’t see the No Name II, but stumbled across the CS Peat Monster release (300 bottles), which had apparently been on the bottom shelf for 5 years waiting for me. 

My understanding is that while No Name II is available in Europe the US allocation is being held back until early fall to spread them out a bit. In fact I think Circle will be next here in the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

There were more bottles remaining-- let me know if you need a pointer.

 

Dave

Dave.... PM is forthcoming :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

A dusty W&M pair from CT... the 2012 KAIII Dalmore pack is good fun, from back when the stag’s head was metal vs. plastic.

 

2D887EF0-1022-4490-8F44-ECEB0E919A10.thumb.jpeg.c8a901616e5429a92f2c66d1722e6ada.jpeg

 

AA852B1A-6A92-484D-872A-F221E1FC6D17.thumb.jpeg.e792bff87cff9bc80c5d3007ffda160c.jpeg

 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
On 6/14/2019 at 11:24 PM, Marekv8 said:

A dusty W&M pair from CT... the 2012 KAIII Dalmore pack is good fun, from back when the stag’s head was metal vs. plastic.

 

2D887EF0-1022-4490-8F44-ECEB0E919A10.thumb.jpeg.c8a901616e5429a92f2c66d1722e6ada.jpeg

 

AA852B1A-6A92-484D-872A-F221E1FC6D17.thumb.jpeg.e792bff87cff9bc80c5d3007ffda160c.jpeg

 

Quite the pair! Don't see a lot of Jura 30 floating around.

 

Need to throw an old OB Fettercairn in there for the trifecta!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeffrey r

Fan of Tamdhu, so Picked up their new 15 year release.

 

   

151F2543-27AF-41ED-9333-FF31DB0D896A.jpeg

7A68B164-F7CC-4E8B-9D22-BEA80F789E5E.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8
23 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Quite the pair! Don't see a lot of Jura 30 floating around.

 

Need to throw an old OB Fettercairn in there for the trifecta!

 

I've been waiting for the re-branded Fettercairns to arrive, but it looks like it'll be a while-- I've never seen a dusty OB in the wild (but plenty of indies), and I've certainly been on the lookout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

One of last year's Diageo Special Releases that never made it Stateside-- took 10 months to track one down. Official Glen Ords are thin on the ground, especially in the USA.

 

IMG_1613.thumb.jpg.481e2c3f78216120222094a1d6a67989.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick M.
On 6/12/2019 at 9:47 PM, Guss West said:

I mentioned this last year while actively hunting some specific bourbon bottlings; easiest way to find unicorns is to swear off buying them.  In the last few weeks, three bottles of scotch on my bucket list have forced my wallet open.  

 

Old Polteney 17, Glendronach 18, and Glendronach 15.  All discontinued, buy now or never type situations.  Tomatin PX and Deanston 20 are next up on the hit list. 

 

I've been really good staying out of packies this year, and I've had some nice bonus cheques.  So, I've not just broken, but obliterated my previous price limits on individual bottles of whiskey.  Not once but thrice in the last month. 

 

All three worth it, and I'd trade my entire bunker for more Glendronach 18.  Holy Grail Whiskey!!

Glendronach 15 has been reintroduced to the market.  The new version is a mixture of PX and Oloroso barrels.  The older version was Oloroso only.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Widebody

spacer.png

This is my first SB post so please be gentle...I wanted to join SB because I was really getting into bourbon and wanted to learn more, but in the past 6 months or so I’ve grown to really enjoy peated scotches (among other things) so I think this is a fitting first post.   Looking forward to posting more and continuing to learn about all types of spirits.  

 

Was pleasantly surprised to find this locally so I pulled the trigger.  I have have had and enjoyed the “standard” Longrow so I’m looking forward to cracking this one soon.  Cheers! 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
25 minutes ago, Widebody said:

spacer.png

This is my first SB post so please be gentle...I wanted to join SB because I was really getting into bourbon and wanted to learn more, but in the past 6 months or so I’ve grown to really enjoy peated scotches (among other things) so I think this is a fitting first post.   Looking forward to posting more and continuing to learn about all types of spirits.  

 

Was pleasantly surprised to find this locally so I pulled the trigger.  I have have had and enjoyed the “standard” Longrow so I’m looking forward to cracking this one soon.  Cheers! 

I’ve really enjoyed all of those Red releases.  One of them really stood out even more, but damn if I can remember which one.  GBS International Whiskey Night has a way of doing that to you...  :D

 

Welcome to SB!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...