What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of the better spots on the east coast for finding good bourbon is Elkton,   Maryland.     There's the venerable State Line Liquors near the Delaware line,   but don't forget to go into Elkton itself where there's two excellent stores.     I passed through Elkton yesterday,  and picked up the following:

1.   Jim Beam Distiller's Cut (just $20.99!)

2.    Murray Hill Club blended bourbon  ($85.  and very much worth the price. )   A luxuriant take on well-aged MGP juice, expertly blended

3.    Elijah Craig store pick single barrel  ($29.99)   About nine years old,   94 proof.    Solid pour.

4.    Belle Meade Medeira cask finish.   ($61.99)   This one's going in the bunker,  but it looks interesting  -  MGP juice with a twist.   

5.   Wilderness Trail  BIB  (wheated bourbon recipe)   ($49.99)     I'd never seen this distillery's products before,  but was impressed that their first release is a BIB.   

• I like it 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:27 AM, AndyD said:

Got lucky at a small town store today.  Never seen one before today.  39.99.

14A6BB1C-D72B-49E1-9E71-FCE110B5D7F6.jpeg

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:27 AM, AndyD said:

Got lucky at a small town store today.  Never seen one before today.  39.99.

14A6BB1C-D72B-49E1-9E71-FCE110B5D7F6.jpeg

I hadn't seen one of those for over a year,  until yesterday when I spotted one at the Canal's in Lindenwold,  New Jersey.     Marked up to $119 -  Boo!   Hiss!

On 6/20/2019 at 2:55 PM, JMFH said:

Grabbed the last bottle that my local LS was holding for me.  The distillery is almost out and jacked their prices up 50% so not buying any more from them.  Distribution has stopped and there's none left in the area.  If it's one you enjoy grab it now before it's gone or the stores raise prices...  Stores in NKY have upped the prices to around $100-$130 (disitilery is at $90 now).

spacer.png

I didn't read this until Sunday, so I went to a store to where I knew they had some and picked up a case. They made me a case price deal at $49.79 each.. I might go back and get another case. :)

1C1D73B5-1812-4AAD-9225-4E5A0534C0F3.thumb.jpeg.4ce412b2079d22f4440770dd483005cc.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

23 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I didn't read this until Sunday, so I went to a store to where I knew they had some and picked up a case. They made me a case price deal at $49.79 each.. I might go back and get another case. :)

1C1D73B5-1812-4AAD-9225-4E5A0534C0F3.thumb.jpeg.4ce412b2079d22f4440770dd483005cc.jpeg

Damn!  Nice haul and amazing price!  Just read the distillery is out and will probably only be doing single barrel releases of the few remaining barrels they have left (~20 or so 14 year).  Knowing those bottles will be retailing for $200-250 they can keep 'em.  The flippers will ensure that they all sell out though.

• I like it 1

The asst mgr at a favorite wine and spirits dept gave me the news that not only was he out of BT but that it now being allocated to a case a month for their operation. Looking for an alternative, I found OGDBiB nearby and took one home. Maybe it's just that I've not had any before but on first impressions it's not on a par with WT101. Not bad, but certainly not great.

8 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

The asst mgr at a favorite wine and spirits dept gave me the news that not only was he out of BT but that it now being allocated to a case a month for their operation. Looking for an alternative, I found OGDBiB nearby and took one home. Maybe it's just that I've not had any before but on first impressions it's not on a par with WT101. Not bad, but certainly not great.

Agree with you on this.  I much prefer the WT101, especially the recent bottles, to OGD BiB.  Not that the OGD is bad.  Just that the WT is great, IMO. 

Bought my second ever bottle of HMK10 during lunch today. First time I’ve seen in about six month and the price increase. First time I had was about a year ago and got on sale for $27 + tax so $29.42 I think after tax. $36.99 + tax now so $40.32 OTD from my counties stores. Figured I would give it another go. May be a while before I open. Need to kill a few near empties off first.

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 1:13 PM, BDanner said:

Well, it was still on the shelf this week, so I picked up a bottle of Old Ezra Barrel Strength. I also decided to give VOB 86 Proof another shot and in honor of Craft Whiskey day I picked up a bottle of Old Nick Williams (ONW) Bourbon. This batch, not as good as the last. 

IMG_6768.jpg

Do you know if the ONW is now from batches bottled after the moonshiners episode?  Seems like their earlier stuff had some technique issues per the episode.

27 minutes ago, GoCubs85 said:

Do you know if the ONW is now from batches bottled after the moonshiners episode?  Seems like their earlier stuff had some technique issues per the episode.

For it to be aged a almost 2 years, it would have to have been from before the episode. I'm thinking that episode was filmed in November/December of 18 (there were some  scenes with snow on the ground and that area got an unusually early snow last year. Early December, I believe.

4 hours ago, BDanner said:

For it to be aged a almost 2 years, it would have to have been from before the episode. I'm thinking that episode was filmed in November/December of 18 (there were some  scenes with snow on the ground and that area got an unusually early snow last year. Early December, I believe.

Well then I can’t wait to retry it again in a few years to see if it’s noticeably improved.

14 hours ago, GoCubs85 said:

Well then I can’t wait to retry it again in a few years to see if it’s noticeably improved.

If anything was actually changed and not dramatized for TV. If anything, I'll take consistency, because this bottle is definitely not as good as previous one's I've had.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:18 AM, Postal Grunt said:

I'm not a fan of the OGDBIB, but the OGD114 is in my top 5 affordable bottles. Weird.

This week I picked up a bottle of OF100 to give it another shot (glad I did, I really enjoyed it) and stumbled across another bottle of Dickel 13yr BIB for the Bunker.

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

Happy 65 to me. :) 

IMG_0260.JPG

Happy birthday, young man!  ?

• I like it 1

Happy birthday Tom! I hope you have a great day.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Thanks Phil! What’s not to like about celebrating my government certified status as a full fledged senior citizen with a terrific Virginia bourbon.  :) 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Ditto. Cheers and enjoy brother!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, DCFan said:

Happy 65 to me. :) 

I'll add my $.02 and say Happy Natal Day, as well, DCFan!    65 is the new 64 ya' know.     

You're as young as you feel... or so I'm told.     Some days I feel good about that; but, some days I'm even younger than I feel... and that's not so great.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.