What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Missed out on the Elmer that has been popping up in semi-random VA stores over the last week or so.  But I was able to get a 1792 Bottled in Bond and the wife did manage to get me a Michter's Barrel Strength Rye.

• I like it 1

Awesome score. Saffel is the only thing I have been actively looking for, and am willing to pay full MSRP, but I haven't seen any around Atlanta. Granted I have only had the time to look at 5-6 places this year. I don't know if I missed it in GA or if it hasn't hit yet.

Have not seen in GA either, but a buddy found some in AL.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

Only one Bourbon in this photo, but three great whiskies, all on sale.

fullsizeoutput_1536.jpeg

Not sure if you know or not, but I wonder how the Virgin 101 compares to the Old Ezra 7/101p?

Doing more in the way of purchasing then drinking over the past month. I got back into the gym and put myself onto a strict meal plan for a bit.. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but for now curbing the bourbon intake somewhat.. However, I found my back up bottle of HMK10 and OE7BS that I’ve never seen here.. Nice weekend! :) 

D5FD66E0-7C0C-4923-8C72-14A204F0903B.jpeg

• I like it 8

16 hours ago, newmennium said:

Have not seen in GA either, but a buddy found some in AL.

Several places carry the Saffel here in AL, saw in several LS while vacationing in FL as well..

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Not sure if you know or not, but I wonder how the Virgin 101 compares to the Old Ezra 7/101p?

Harry in DC did a great SBS. Old Ezra was never available here in NC. Either way, it's a sold pour for less than $15.

• I like it 1

I have a Blanton's Gold on its way to me by way of my brother who lives in Vancouver.  Still trying to make sense of the marketing strategy limiting distribution of Blanton's Green, Gold and SFTB...  

6 hours ago, mwmac said:

I have a Blanton's Gold on its way to me by way of my brother who lives in Vancouver.  Still trying to make sense of the marketing strategy limiting distribution of Blanton's Green, Gold and SFTB...  

Japanese company keeping old clients happy by leaving old distribution network in place after buying Sazerac?!?   ?

Couldn’t help myself. I overpaid at $24 but I am such a sucker for age stated dusties.  

B338870E-A5D7-4663-AA34-D00AF1D1D570.jpeg

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

quick run through the grapevine southlake area of Texas.... 

IMG_2701.jpg

That GB Balmorhea is superb. 

• I like it 2

Japanese company keeping old clients happy by leaving old distribution network in place after buying Sazerac?!?   [emoji26]

Age International owns the Blanton’s brand, and it is owned by a Japanese company. I think Frank is right about keeping old clients happy by leaving old distribution networks in place, but Sazerac/Buffalo Trace is essentially just the contract distiller and wholesaler for Blanton’s on behalf of Age International. In some ways it’s similar to the relationship that Van Winkle has with Sazerac/Buffalo Trace.

7 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Age International owns the Blanton’s brand, and it is owned by a Japanese company. I think Frank is right about keeping old clients happy by leaving old distribution networks in place, but Sazerac/Buffalo Trace is essentially just the contract distiller and wholesaler for Blanton’s on behalf of Age International. In some ways it’s similar to the relationship that Van Winkle has with Sazerac/Buffalo Trace.

Serious?  I thought Blanton’s was a regular Buffalo Trace Brand and Hancocks was the only one they didn’t own. Is  all of the mashbill#2 owned by Age International?  What about Elmer T and Rock Hill Farms?

Stopped at a regular store today and came across some 14 year 120 proof KC SB pick for $47.00, I'll take it!

20190610_173217-2.jpg

• I like it 6

42 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

What about Elmer T and Rock Hill Farms?

Age international. 

• I like it 2

Stopped at a regular store today and came across some 14 year 120 proof KC SB pick for $47.00, I'll take it!
20190610_173217-2.thumb.jpg.916a4189f0e981d050ce968bcb03b5ef.jpg
I've been loving some Knob Creek lately, that would have been hard but to Max the credit card if they had a taster available (and if my palate agreed)

1 hour ago, Tex Rob said:

20190610_173217-2.jpg

Some of those Knob Creek picks can be quite good

On 6/9/2019 at 12:01 AM, JoeTerp said:

Missed out on the Elmer that has been popping up in semi-random VA stores over the last week or so.  But I was able to get a 1792 Bottled in Bond and the wife did manage to get me a Michter's Barrel Strength Rye.

I was able to pick up a bottle of Elmer in VA, my first one.  I'm a bit surprised by its profile - seems like it's closer to E H Taylor SB than Blanton's, despite its mash bill.  Definitely enjoying it, though others I tried it with have said it's a bit too sweet for their tastes.

That GB Balmorhea is superb. 

I’ve actually heard some good things about this one. However in general GB isn’t to liked around here hopefully this one will change opinions. That being said I need a second opinion from someone that doesn’t have Tex in there name.

1 hour ago, afmadd said:

I was able to pick up a bottle of Elmer in VA, my first one.  I'm a bit surprised by its profile - seems like it's closer to E H Taylor SB than Blanton's, despite its mash bill.  Definitely enjoying it, though others I tried it with have said it's a bit too sweet for their tastes.

Congrats on the pickup.  I enjoy Elmer and think it's a really great pour for the $40 after tax that it's currently in VA.  I prefer RHF of the BT #2 mash, but think I would likely have ETL in 2nd of the US releases.

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Congrats on the pickup.  I enjoy Elmer and think it's a really great pour for the $40 after tax that it's currently in VA.  I prefer RHF of the BT #2 mash, but think I would likely have ETL in 2nd of the US releases.

Great price and great bourbon.  I love the spice on it - something almost entirely lacking in Blanton's.  I've never tried RHF, but looking forward to it.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Tex Rob said:

Love this juice. I'm wondering when the good times for buying a 9 - 14 y.o. over-proofed, premium quality bourbon for $39 - $49 - are gonna stop. I've got a couple of cases of various KCSiB PS bunkered just in case some wizard at Beam Suntory decides to mess with my world.

23 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I’ve actually heard some good things about this one. However in general GB isn’t to liked around here hopefully this one will change opinions. That being said I need a second opinion from someone that doesn’t have Tex in there name.

Give it a shot, TW has the best price for a 375ml.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.