What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:34 PM, silverc said:

Believe it or not, I have been slowing down my purchases recently because I am running out of storage space and also running out of new stuff I want to try. Plus I have more than I will ever possibly (or should) consume in a lifetime. Of course, with that being said, I have just returned from a yearly epic road trip to see family, and do some sightseeing, and do some bourbon hunting along the way. 3225 miles through 5 states in 10 days. I was also able to find a bunch of vintage Delord and Dartigalongue armagnacs in Chicago that I can't get anywhere around here.

Should make for a fun side by side comparison as I work through this haul. I cracked open one of the KCSB picks already, a 15 year selection from Liquor City (Gallenstein #15) and it's awesome.

IMG_4054.JPG

@silverc, I'd really love it if you could post a photo of the Delord and Dartigalongue bottles you bought. Heck, I'd love to see a photo of ONLY the Armagnac bottles, if you don't mind! I don't know if to do that it is more appropriate to post in the non-whiskey/foreign spirits section (where all the brandies discussions are), but at any rate, I'd love to see your Armagnac acquisitions. 

Don't mean to shamelessly name-drop, but I know Jerome Delord, as well as his dad Jacques, who is the master blender, and I visit their cellars in Lannepax about once every year and buy vintage Armagnacs from them, taste out of the barrels, etc. They're fantastic folks and do an amazing job in making their Armagnacs.

Photo below, with Jerome Delord. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_4177.JPG

• I like it 11

3 recent pick ups, all discounted at a local ABC store here. The EWBIB and the WT101 are some of the best values on the planet IMO and purchased as back up bottles to my back ups. I’m not typically in the Beam camp, but my brother is and bought the Double Oak on his recommendation.. We’ll see... 

D9234812-4B5F-4386-A3A7-773E65747D7B.jpeg

• I like it 5

I attended a charity tasting/raffle this evening. My good luck continues. ^_^ My tickets were drawn for ETL and Weller 12. Both were at suggested retail price. I guess if there's any bad luck in this, it's that there was a two bottle limit. I bought a number of raffle tickets and spread them around this time. My ticket was also drawn for a bottle of Weller SR, which I had to turn down  :mellow:

Biba! Joe

v1.jpeg

• I like it 5

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

I attended a charity tasting/raffle this evening. My good luck continues. ^_^ My tickets were drawn for ETL and Weller 12. Both were at suggested retail price. I guess if there's any bad luck in this, it's that there was a two bottle limit. I bought a number of raffle tickets and spread them around this time. My ticket was also drawn for a bottle of Weller SR, which I had to turn down  :mellow:

Biba! Joe

v1.jpeg

Had a chance to snag both of them today, but at $90 for the ETL & $120 for the Weller 12...I had to respectfully pass. 

Got lucky at a small town store today.  Never seen one before today.  39.99.

14A6BB1C-D72B-49E1-9E71-FCE110B5D7F6.jpeg

• I like it 10

5 hours ago, AndyD said:

Got lucky at a small town store today.  Never seen one before today.  39.99.

14A6BB1C-D72B-49E1-9E71-FCE110B5D7F6.jpeg

Great score there.

22 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Don't mean to shamelessly name-drop, but I know Jerome Delord, as well as his dad Jacques, who is the master blender, and I visit their cellars in Lannepax about once every year and buy vintage Armagnacs from them, taste out of the barrels, etc. They're fantastic folks and do an amazing job in making their Armagnacs.

Photo below, with Jerome Delord. 

Cheers,

Nancy

How cool!  You're very fortunate.  Couple of years ago my sister gave me a bottle of Delord 25 and it opened my eyes to Armagnac.  The most bourbon-like brandy.  Since then I've moved on to the cask strength L'Encantadas that K&L has, which are amazing.  To get one of a kind, 20 - 30 year old single cask, cask strength spirits for $80 to $150 is remarkable in this day and age. 

Nancy, are you on the Serious Brandy Facebook group?  Some great stuff there and I'm sure you could contribute a lot...

• I like it 2

Just bought one each of the first 2019 batches of Booker's for $60 each.  Best price around here.  I've seen mixed reviews of the 01 but wanted to try it for myself.  I've heard the 02 is better but both are somewhat off the standard Booker's flavor profile.  Anyone on here tried these yet? 

I've tried both the 01 and the 02 batches and have seen the negative reviews of the 01. I don't agree. The 01 may be a bit fruitier and slightly more spicy than the 02, but I find both of them quite good. I did a side by side comparison with the 01 and the 02, and found the 01 spicier but no less enjoyable because of that. I also did a SBS with the 02 and the 2018-04 and found them to be hard to tell apart. I love the 2018-04, so that is good news to me.

On 6/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Well, well!   See, I guess it isn't true then; good things occasionally DO happen to good people.  ;)   Nice on that good luck, Joe!  :)

• I like it 2

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

My tickets were drawn for ETL and Weller 12. Both were at suggested retail price. 

Joe last REAL retail I paid on ETL was $34.99. I know it's impolite to ask, but what is the retail now in your market. Thanks

1 minute ago, FacePlant said:

Joe last REAL retail I paid on ETL was $34.99. I know it's impolite to ask, but what is the retail now in your market. Thanks

Oh ask away. Inquiring minds want to know. ?

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

Oh ask away. Inquiring minds want to know. ?

I paid $39.99, which when it shows up, has been the price for quite a while now. I think most of the things offered may have been some distributor “hold overs” for lack of a better term. The store manager told me a number of things just showed up at the end of last month. This may explain the price on the Weller 12. It was only $37.99.  Looks like these may have been bottles in the system before recent price increases. The GTS they had was only $99.99. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 6/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, silverc said:

The Four Roses are:

OBSF: Binny's, Crown, Liquor Barn (x2 different)
OESF: Binny's, OBC Kitchen
OBSV: Binny's

I had to ask at Crown if they had any 4R PS left, and the guy had one on a shelf behind the counter. I think that may have been the last one available at the store. That same Crown location had 4 or 5 different ones last year when I was in Indy, but they seem to have largely dried up now unfortunately. I did see a few other 4R bottles that I passed on (OESQ at OBC Kitchen in Lexington and at Binny's), and a OBSF at Liquor Barn in Danville,, KY, so they can be found but it takes a bit of effort, and some driving around.

I remember going to a crown just outside of Indy in January 2017 and they had all 10 recipes sitting on the shelf. I believe that some of them were still the Rutledge era gold band ones too. 

19 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:
On 6/19/2019 at 8:22 PM, silverc said:

The Four Roses are:

OBSF: Binny's, Crown, Liquor Barn (x2 different)
OESF: Binny's, OBC Kitchen
OBSV: Binny's

I had to ask at Crown if they had any 4R PS left, and the guy had one on a shelf behind the counter. I think that may have been the last one available at the store. That same Crown location had 4 or 5 different ones last year when I was in Indy, but they seem to have largely dried up now unfortunately. I did see a few other 4R bottles that I passed on (OESQ at OBC Kitchen in Lexington and at Binny's), and a OBSF at Liquor Barn in Danville,, KY, so they can be found but it takes a bit of effort, and some driving around.

I remember going to a crown just outside of Indy in January 2017 and they had all 10 recipes sitting on the shelf. I believe that some of them were still the Rutledge era gold band ones too. 

In December 2017 I stopped at a Crown that had 7-8 of the recipes, including gold band ones. Picked up a 10yr 10 mo OESF and I really enjoyed it. Went back in December 2018 (passing through for Christmas each time), and they had nothing left, not a single 4RPS. I have no idea how that blew up so quick. I thought things were escalating well before December 2017, so I really don't know what happened in 2018 to sell out of everything.

Edited by Soberiquet
Typos

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I paid $39.99, which when it shows up, has been the price for quite a while now. I think most of the things offered may have been some distributor “hold overs” for lack of a better term. The store manager told me a number of things just showed up at the end of last month. This may explain the price on the Weller 12. It was only $37.99.  Looks like these may have been bottles in the system before recent price increases. The GTS they had was only $99.99. 

Biba! Joe

So it sounds like all those are being sold at MSRP which considering what the secondary market is getting is amazing.

4 hours ago, FacePlant said:

$37.99 at VA ABC if you get in line before store open to actually get one.

18 minutes ago, DCFan said:

So it sounds like all those are being sold at MSRP which considering what the secondary market is getting is amazing.

I was there last year and they had 4 recipes, $55 a bottle which is a great price. They seem to run $80 to $90 most places now.

edit: replied to the wrong post, I’m talking about Crown and Four Roses picks.

Edited by Jazz June

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Guessing we are close to the same general area.  I was lucky enough to get a ETL @ $44.99 and a W12 $34.99.  W12 pricing has remained the same price while 107 is now $59.99.  Did anyone else hear what the new MSRP for W12 will be?  SR still $27.99.

My son wanted to get some more 3 Floyd’s beer. Zombie Dust to be specific. It isn’t distributed around here, so just like a couple of weeks ago, he asked me if I wanted to take a road trip. And of course, I again said yes. Instead of heading north, this time we headed east. One reason was the stores up north were sold out. Another reason was because my dil had given me a Binny’s gift card for Father’s Day. :P  So, a trip to Binny’s it was. My son got two six packs of Zombie Dust, and two six packs of one of their other offerings. (I forget which. CRS ya know.) Since I missed out on a Weller SR Thursday, I bought one yesterday at Binny’s. :D  I also grabbed a WT 101 Rye for Galvin0791. All in all a good day. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 6/21/2019 at 4:03 PM, fosmith said:

How cool!  You're very fortunate.  Couple of years ago my sister gave me a bottle of Delord 25 and it opened my eyes to Armagnac.  The most bourbon-like brandy.  Since then I've moved on to the cask strength L'Encantadas that K&L has, which are amazing.  To get one of a kind, 20 - 30 year old single cask, cask strength spirits for $80 to $150 is remarkable in this day and age. 

Nancy, are you on the Serious Brandy Facebook group?  Some great stuff there and I'm sure you could contribute a lot...

@fosmith, yes, I sure am on the Serious Brandy FB group! It has become more of a time issue of not being able to contribute, since I'm on the road a lot. 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My son wanted to get some more 3 Floyd’s beer. Zombie Dust to be specific.

So, a trip to Binny’s it was. My son got two six packs of Zombie Dust, and two six packs of one of their other offerings. (I forget which. CRS ya know.)

Tell him to try "Space Station Middle Finger".  It's pretty darn good.  Ipa with a hint of orange flavor to it.  :)

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Tell him to try "Space Station Middle Finger".  It's pretty darn good.  Ipa with a hint of orange flavor to it.  :)

Can do. Thanks!

Biba Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.