Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

Recommended Posts

Kepler

This weekend I opened a couple of store picks I've had in the bunker for a couple of years. First one was KC SiB and the other is ER single barrel.  

Starting off tonight with the ER.  Good opener.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895

As part of continuing my New Year resolution to quit saving my “best bottles” for imaginary special moments in the future, I Opened up a late 90’s Blanton’s with a friend last night just because we wanted to try it. 

I wasn’t expecting too much, as the stopper was kinda loose, but I was wrong. 

It turned out to be pretty darn good. 

We ended up drinking about half the bottle.  🙂🥃

2CDEFC70-42A4-4ECC-9FE3-2B366FBACFE0.jpeg

  • I like it 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

After a discussion of some of our best Bourbon experiences, I went in search of my stash of HHSS SB Pick #2, to make up a sample of it for a friend who otherwise will never have an opportunity to try it.

Much to my amazement, I found I also had an unopened bottle... AND an unopened bottle of HHSS SB PIck #1!!!! :P  ...Misplaced; but, now found.  :)

Sometimes being a lousy keeper of records, and notoriously poor at storing stuff away properly in a very crowded closet, can result in an unanticipated windfall! 

Yay for stupidity!    I feel like a won a lottery.  🤑  ....For which I never even bought a ticket!  :D

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby

Well nothing like finding so.e HHSS, but a week or so ago I found a box in the basement with a couple ER10, a Stagg Jr., an ECBP, a VOB, and 5 OWA that I had kinda forgotten about.  Opened an ER10 tonight.

20190712_211653-784x1613.jpg

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BMartin42

IMG_2732.jpg
First one I’ve opened with the “new” Rare Breed style bottle. Surprisingly oaky with some char. Not really the spiciness I expect from WT. Good but reminds me a bit of an over oaked Elijah Craig.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
19 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

IMG_2732.jpg
First one I’ve opened with the “new” Rare Breed style bottle. Surprisingly oaky with some char. Not really the spiciness I expect from WT. Good but reminds me a bit of an over oaked Elijah Craig.

I tend to just go with the flow in our hobby.  I work to understand that business is business, and sometimes things go for me...and sometimes they go against me. I don’t get much worked up on age statement drops, price increases, product discontinuation, etc....Hey, what am I going to do about what I can’t change??

But, this new bottle for WTKS is a piece of shit.  That they killed off what was arguably the most iconic bottle in bourbonian, is damn unconscionable.  

  • I like it 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler

Cracked this tonight.  I actually bought this last year but decided to try it now finally.

20190717_215705.jpg

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon
On 7/8/2019 at 8:52 AM, Richnimrod said:

After a discussion of some of our best Bourbon experiences, I went in search of my stash of HHSS SB Pick #2, to make up a sample of it for a friend who otherwise will never have an opportunity to try it.

Much to my amazement, I found I also had an unopened bottle... AND an unopened bottle of HHSS SB PIck #1!!!! :P  ...Misplaced; but, now found.  :)

Sometimes being a lousy keeper of records, and notoriously poor at storing stuff away properly in a very crowded closet, can result in an unanticipated windfall! 

Yay for stupidity!    I feel like a won a lottery.  🤑  ....For which I never even bought a ticket!  :D

 

On 7/12/2019 at 11:06 PM, Clueby said:

Well nothing like finding so.e HHSS, but a week or so ago I found a box in the basement with a couple ER10, a Stagg Jr., an ECBP, a VOB, and 5 OWA that I had kinda forgotten about.  Opened an ER10 tonight.

20190712_211653-784x1613.jpg

If you guys have bourbon that you forgot you had, you've got waaaaaaay too much bourbon. 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
25 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

 

If you guys have bourbon that you forgot you had, you've got waaaaaaay too much bourbon. 

Well I knew the box was there but couldn't remember what was actually in the box.  I've got waaaay less than a lot of people on here (who shall remain nameless!).  I hover around 100 bottles.  Probably lower now as my purchasing has tapered off lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon
4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Well I knew the box was there but couldn't remember what was actually in the box.  I've got waaaay less than a lot of people on here (who shall remain nameless!).  I hover around 100 bottles.  Probably lower now as my purchasing has tapered off lately.

You're right, you don't have waaaaay too much bourbon.  I'm sitting at 141 bottles as of today.  Might be less after the weekend. ;)

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982
16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Cracked this tonight.  I actually bought this last year but decided to try it now finally.

20190717_215705.jpg

We don’t see that one so often, how is it ? Never tried it so far. Enjoy and Cheers!

 

Will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Cracked this tonight.  I actually bought this last year but decided to try it now finally.

20190717_215705.jpg

Thoughts?  I opened my first bottle of this last week..  The nose was absolutely fantastic with lots of orange and baking spices.  The palate however felt a little thin and left a lot to be desired.  Much preferred the Michters Barrel Proof Rye for overall flavor.  Although, as happens frequently, the last pour improved as more time went on.  The the north of $100 asking price, this is one that I probably will not buy another of anytime soon.  Very solid, but not the best value IMO.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
7 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

 

If you guys have bourbon that you forgot you had, you've got waaaaaaay too much bourbon. 

Huh??? What??? Is there really such as thing as having too much????  (I have to keep telling myself that)

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
8 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

 

If you guys have bourbon that you forgot you had, you've got waaaaaaay too much bourbon. 

More often than not, I’m president of the CRS club. (Vosgar and Galvin0791 can attest to this) Hence my reason for using an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of what I have.  DISCLAIMER: Yes I use a spreadsheet. I just have to remember to update it in a more timely manner. Sometimes I forget. :wacko:

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
On 7/8/2019 at 8:52 AM, Richnimrod said:

After a discussion of some of our best Bourbon experiences, I went in search of my stash of HHSS SB Pick #2, to make up a sample of it for a friend who otherwise will never have an opportunity to try it.

Much to my amazement, I found I also had an unopened bottle... AND an unopened bottle of HHSS SB PIck #1!!!! :P  ...Misplaced; but, now found.  :)

Sometimes being a lousy keeper of records, and notoriously poor at storing stuff away properly in a very crowded closet, can result in an unanticipated windfall! 

Yay for stupidity!    I feel like a won a lottery.  🤑  ....For which I never even bought a ticket!  :D

THIS is a new HIGH in geekism.  If you'd forgotten that you already had 17 OGD114s or 5 ER "10 Year" neckies (one of which is now in GeeTen's hands), I could see it.  But HHSS????  I knew where EACH milliliter of mine was and can tell you today where it went and the date on which the last milliliter went down my throat.

 

ON THREAD - What I going to open tonight?  Dunno.  We are planning on having a classic highball (bourbon, ginger ale, and ice in a 7 ounce fat Collins glass) before a burger dinner.  Maybe the Kovel she talked me into buying five or so years ago.  OTOH, I have no OGD 114 open right now, and I have 17 or so 750s just sitting there, so . . .

 

OFF THREAD - Wife getting a permanent tomorrow, and I have 3 hours to kill.  I already have my itinerary mapped out.  I sure hope there's room in the trunk for whatever I find.:o

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

We don’t see that one so often, how is it ? Never tried it so far. Enjoy and Cheers!

 

Will.

 

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Thoughts?  I opened my first bottle of this last week..  The nose was absolutely fantastic with lots of orange and baking spices.  The palate however felt a little thin and left a lot to be desired.  Much preferred the Michters Barrel Proof Rye for overall flavor.  Although, as happens frequently, the last pour improved as more time went on.  The the north of $100 asking price, this is one that I probably will not buy another of anytime soon.  Very solid, but not the best value IMO.

 

I've only had one drinking session with this one so far, so there's that.  I didn't think the nose on mine was anything special, but I enjoyed the pleasant oakiness on the palate, something I haven't experienced a whole lot with ryes, even with older ones than this one.  I do believe it's very over priced, and overall I do also prefer the BP LE over this.  I don't regret buying one bottle because it is unique, but I can't justify buying another when there are others I enjoy as much more at half the price.

Edited by Kepler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody

Starting the afternoon by opening one of my favorites, (I actually bought this today also) very good. 

1F855B1C-0855-44C2-BB4E-6E312387DF19.thumb.jpeg.0c9e37e1f95bc2da09a367eb572c27dc.jpeg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
On 7/17/2019 at 3:56 PM, smokinjoe said:

I tend to just go with the flow in our hobby.  I work to understand that business is business, and sometimes things go for me...and sometimes they go against me. I don’t get much worked up on age statement drops, price increases, product discontinuation, etc....Hey, what am I going to do about what I can’t change??

But, this new bottle for WTKS is a piece of shit.  That they killed off what was arguably the most iconic bottle in bourbonian, is damn unconscionable.  

This is yet another indicator of why we are brothers in that you essentially wrote a post that I could have written verbatim. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guss West
Posted (edited)

Virgin Bourbon 101 KSBW with 7 year age statement.  I luvs me some HH "cats and dogs". 

 

So excited to be able to try this before it disappears forever!  I always lamented only ever having one bottle of the HH6BIB, so I made sure to jump and dash for this one.    

 

Whiskey hunting carpetbagger (moi) goes to Durham, NC for science.

On my arrival day, I meander over to the ABC (in the 95*F heat!) and low and behold...

 

A whole case of the 7 year aged stated Virgin bourbon on the bottom shelf for $14 a bottle. 

Yes, I carefully packed three in my luggage for the return home and am enjoying a pour right now!!

 

I also took the last ECBP for $60.  Sorry fellas, but that one is running a c-note in my little town.  Good whiskey, fantastic food, and southern hospitality.  I sure do miss the Tarheel state. 

 

Prost! 

 

Edited by Guss West
can't grammer
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982
12 hours ago, Kepler said:

 

 

I've only had one drinking session with this one so far, so there's that.  I didn't think the nose on mine was anything special, but I enjoyed the pleasant oakiness on the palate, something I haven't experienced a whole lot with ryes, even with older ones than this one.  I do believe it's very over priced, and overall I do also prefer the BP LE over this.  I don't regret buying one bottle because it is unique, but I can't justify buying another when there are others I enjoy as much more at half the price.

Thx for the honest review, the BP from 2016 (didn't score the 2018 yet) was something special. Cheers! 

 

Will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bayouredd
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

 

If you guys have bourbon that you forgot you had, you've got waaaaaaay too much bourbon. 

Never confuse excess with Old Fartitude. (not to be confused with fortitude)

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
On 7/18/2019 at 9:46 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

 

If you guys have bourbon that you forgot you had, you've got waaaaaaay too much bourbon. 

Just to clear up any misunderstanding about anyone having "too much Boyurbon"...

As long as all the Bourbon in your possession fits in the containers one maintains for it's storage and/or serving, one cannot be said to have "too much Bourbon".       So There!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guss West

Uh oh...

 

I ran out of room stuffing bottles between matresses, but I'm working on disguising my hoard as a decorative room divider. All in all just a malt for the wall...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wedelstaedt

Been waiting to open this for three years.  Having a good palate night, so the wait is over. 

 

Cheers. 

IMG_3432.JPG

  • I like it 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
22 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Been waiting to open this for three years.  Having a good palate night, so the wait is over. 

 

Cheers. 

IMG_3432.JPG

Wow, so jealous.  Well done sir.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...